DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

Thought it was pretty decent, solid B+

My initial gut feeling is that i liked First Class better.

Note: i think i heard at least 3 people in the theater say "who is that?" In the post-credit sequence.

It's slipped down a little to 90%, but the remarkable thing is the "top critics" section where it only has 1 negative review (Amy Nicholson from L.A. Weekly)

It's rare to see the top critics score for a popcorn movie higher than the all critics score.

Anyway, didn't the first X-Men state it was taking place in the "near future"?

Which would actually make the timeline shockingly coherent. If it took place in roughly 2010 (ten years after it came out) and time has moved normally up through The Wolverine, that movie would have been 2023, which I think is when the future stuff of this one takes place.

Man does that make Magneto old though.

Anyway, didn't the first X-Men state it was taking place in the "near future"?

Which would actually make the timeline shockingly coherent. If it took place in roughly 2010 (ten years after it came out) and time has moved normally up through The Wolverine, that movie would have been 2023, which I think is when the future stuff of this one takes place.

Man does that make Magneto old though.

Mutant powers make you sexier and age slower.  There :) .

I'm sure you could technobabble an answer about mutant gene and magnetism and slowing the aging process. And all those years in a glass / plastic / concrete prison may have helped. Or just say its his secondary mutation. ;)

Alright, more coherent thoughts:

It pains me to say this, but, after that amazing Quicksilver sequence, I'm not sure we need a Flash movie anymore.  Good lord that scene was so fucking good.  Like, worth half the admission price by itself.

I admit, I don't quite get the whole "everything changes all at once" thing instead of the future being in flux as soon as Logan went back.  I mean, I get it from a dramatic standpoint, but it seems flawed.  Yes, I'm nitpicking about how time travel works, and, yes, that's very lame.  But it was the one negative thought I had during the film.  The end with Bobby and Rogue, Hank, Jean and Scott, then leading into that great last discussion with Xavier was really nice and sweet.  The future action scenes were at times a bit too busy and "STUFF HAPPENING" for my taste, but they had some cool moments.  Dinklage was predictably awesome.  I love that zero attention was paid to his height at any point in the movie.  Jackman has gotten so incredibly comfortable in the Logan role that it's just so easy to watch.  The scene with the mafia (or whatever) thugs was great, and the way Singer brought it into the 70's with the lava lamp was not perfect.  Honestly, the post-credits scene kinda fell flat for me, but such is life.

I don't think I liked it quite as much as Winter Soldier, but it was definitely good.  After the franchise bottomed out with Last Stand and XMO:W, they've rebounded nicely with the decent First Class, the better The Wolverine (which is also significantly better in the director's cut, but c'est la vie) and now an even better Days of Future Past.  Jackman's right though, the world needs to see Wolverine fight The Hulk on the big screen.

• Like 3

Ten minutes!!! My theater here in Ofallon is half full of course it's on 8 screens or so I was worried about getting a good seat although I guess mountain dew is more important than a good movie seat since I got my drink with ten minutes before showtime.

I have questions but I think I just have to settle for the X-Men series not making any sense. As it's own movie, it was pretty good. It's either the best X-Men movie or second best behind X-2, I'm not sure, I haven't seen X-2 in a while. Captain American: The Winter Soldier is still my favorite comic book movie of the year so far.

Actually, First Class might be better but I hated a lot of those mutants in First Class. I'm a butterfly who shoots fireballs, whoopie fucking doo.

Quicksilver stole the show. I liked the conversation he had with Magneto in the Elevator. I also dug the Scarlet Witch cameo. I really liked this movie a lot. The opening scene is pretty awesome. I feel sorry for Ellen Page she spent 90 percent of the movie doing ONE thing. I really liked this movie. Me personally before this my favorite movie of the franchise was the first X Men. I don't know if I liked this one more than that one but its my number two favorite in the series. 

Did I miss how they explained Xavier not being dead? Also did Xavier show up at the end of the last Wolverine movie? What was that about? I also thought that he never met X until the first movie, when the second Wolverine movie takes place in 1945 technically nearly a hundred years or atleast a good 75 years before the "near future" original movie. Outside of that any complains I have are minimal. I did enjoy the cameos a lot and I'm sure I missed a ton of easter eggs. 

McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, and Houlte have been announced for Apocolypse. I think the old guard cast is done, except Jackman who will do one more Wolverine movie (which will surely put him head-to-head with Jennifer Lawrence). This really felt like a passing of the torch to the First Class crew.

Yeah I think this was the passing of the torch to the First Class crew. I have to say I hated First Class or atleast most of it. I thought I would dread them being featured in this one. Luckily they only featured the good ones. I enjoyed these guys. I am very Wolverined out though. During the first two movies he did a fantastic job but it seems a lot of the mannerisms and such that he was so good with during the first two have faded away. It was cool seeing Iceman. I wish they would have done more with Ellen Page. All in all they have done a great job rebooting this franchise without actually rebooting it. I'm even more excited for Apocalypse.