DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Cool attention to detail:

@realdariocueto hasn't tweeted since he took off running on the show

I won some pretty cool LU posters from a Cageside Seats twitter contest.  They're the promo pics for the profiles on the site, so I got Puma, Mundo, and PENTAGON.  Full size, sweet posters.  Need some classy frames.

El Rey will always be worth watching for all the Shaw Brothers movies they play

He thinks that Dragon Azteca came back to life at the end of the episode

He debates with himself for a couple sentences on whether Vampiro meant "my son" literally or not on the master reveal

He thinks Marty stayed behind in the temple with Sexy Star instead of it being in his basement

My friend and I have been filling the void with early SEG days UFC shows. They're insane. They're not Lucha Underground but they're insane. I'll start watching CMLL and the odd AAA show once the G1 Climax is over to fill the lucha libre void.

Oh man, I'd be stoked if they came to Texas.  San Antonio or Austin would be for the best.

If El Rey goes under, it would probably be for the best, as I could shave $20 off of my DirecTV bill by downgrading. 

Speaking of which, I'm almost happy that LU is on hiatus, since football is about to eat my life away.

Hey, now!  El Rey is the bestest best network in the history of networks!  The thread in the TV section is proof of that.

Now as for the extra $20 for DirecTV, well you have a point there.

But honestly El Rey and LU were absolutely perfect for each other.  Both had a that dirty, gritty vibe to it.  If it was on any other network the combination would have been weird to say the least (them on Destination America or USA?  Highly unlikely)  But Netflix would be a wonderful fit going forward.

• Like 3

Oh I love El Rey.  I can't get enough of Italian horror, kung-fu and Spaghetti Westerns.  That fucking hair cut show, though...

I also feel like being on El Rey made them less susceptible to turning into your standard WWE knock-off brand, too, just through the association. 

• Like 2

With things being so hectic heading to Mexico for a few days I never got to give my Lucha Underground finale thoughts and I'm sure by now nobody gives a shit what I think so I'll just be quick...

First up, major props to Cubsfan for bringing the video and letting my watch on the tablet in the hotel!

Second, I LOVED IT SO MUCH! Really not a bad match aside from the Texano/Demon nonsense with the way too contrived Chavo turn but at least that was super short.

Puma/Muertes is legit one of my favorite matches this year. Easy feat to accomplish when they do 2 of my 3 favorite spots of all-time (tope into a chairshot & spear from apron through table). Finishing stretch was incredible. I was wondering if they were building to Puma missing the rarely done double moonsault but I guess he's retired that for good.

I got legit angry when Lotus killed Dragon Azteca. DARIO IS EVIL AND TRICKING YOU! DUMB DUMB DUMB! She certainly shifted motivations fast grabbing all that money and running off with him. Bitches, eh?

The 7 way was pure madness. They've had much better multi-man matches throughout the season but the bar is so high it'll always be hard to match it. I was surprised Fenix didn't get a dive in. Thankfully everyone else did and Aero Star got multiple ones! Jack doing a SFTD to nowhere was like WHAT THE FUCK? Matches like this are great for a chance of pace.

Vamp/Pentagon was what it was. I loved the gore and how the crowd was so into it. If Vamp had any athleticism at all this could have been like those two amazing Arez/Pentagon matches from XMW. The storyline twist at the end didn't make much sense but I will eat my words... I think Pentagon Jr. definitely came out the star here and wasn't overshadowed by Vamp. If/when season 2 comes I think they have a natural Pentagon Jr. vs Puma feud while Fenix chases Muertes.

Speaking of what's to come...

HOLY FUCK THOSE FINAL FEW MINUTES. Without a doubt the greatest produced segment on a wrestling TV shows in ages. Some closure, some teases for the future, the great ending shot of Dario. If you love this show and were following all season this entire 3 minute deal had to give you goosebumps. I re-watched it like 10 times since. Didn't even catch Fantasma was the guy going after Fenix the first time around.

I have no inside info at all (maybe) but I do think there will be a season 2 even though everyone is doubting it. I just don't know if with certain changes they have to make whether season 2 will be much like season 1 or just a watered down version. I guess we'll see...

The Vampiro thing about someone not wanting to job for Pentagon

So let's say this is Alberto. (There's no time where Mundo goes away for a month.) There's two times Alberto disappears for at least a month in TV time

1) Alberto misses the entire trios tournament block of four episodes (no storyline reason, had a booking elsewhere)

2) Alberto gets put thru a window by Mundo, doesn't return until All Night Long.

The lead in to the first break is the Alberto/Texano Jr. feud. Alberto debuts, immediately gets jumped by Texano, and that's Alberto getting his revenge. There's no spot for Alberto/Pentagon - the only way that makes sense is if Alberto was supposed to feud with Pentagon all along, but even then it'd be odd for Pentagon to beat Alberto in their first feud. (Texano got a DQ win but no more.) Pentagon was also breaking everyone's arm at this point, and Alberto getting his arm broken seems unlikely.

There's no obvious spot for a Pentagon/Alberto match before the second break either. Alberto only has two matches - beating Mundo, losing to Hernandez. The Hernandez/Puma match had been build up since the prior block of tapings, so that was happening at some point. Maybe they could've changed the timing but it didn't seem like it got changed. The only way this works is if Alberto faces Pentagon (instead of Hernandez) when he gets put thru the office window, which means it probably would've been a #1 contenders match (the reason Hernandez/Alberto happened) and Pentagon would go from losing to Sexy Star to beating Alberto. I could understand why Alberto might say no to that idea.

It's always possible everything was so ripped up and reconstructed after Alberto said no that it's impossible to figure out where he said no. It's always possible Vampiro may not be remembering things quite right.

How about instead of going through the window he gets his arm broken?

I mean he doesn't even wrestle Pentagon.  Alberto saves Sexy Star from the arm breaking instead of Vampiro.

Pentagon breaks his fucking arm for it after the contenders match.

Alberto and Sexy still team together in the Atomicos match and it actually makes the teams make more sense

It also makes Vampiro's "I don't like Alberto" comments on commentary later in the season have a bit more shooty context