DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

JARVIS kept running the simulations, and one of them happened to click on, and went psycho before JARVIS could contain it.  Figured it was one of those "run the simulation 1000000's ot times, and eventually a variable you couldn't have thought of changed and it all works" tropes.

Keeping in mind, they were fucking with something out of an Infinity Gem to begin with, so who the fuck knows how it really worked.

• Like 1

They specifically and clearly stated in the movie that they did nothing to activate Ultron and were nowhere near having reached that point.

Something not related to Tony and Bruce (or Jarvis) happened to get Ultron online, but the movie left what vague.

I mean, AoU is far from a perfect movie but honestly, I don't see any huge fundamental differences between it and the first Avengers.

Weaker character arcs (some of which got completely dropped halfway through, like a Russo midcard angle), much shittier pacing, fewer good laugh lines, run-of-the-mill action scenes which all looked the same (except for Hulkbusting~!), a much more overstuffed plot with more characters and more shit going on which was harder to keep track of, a much lamer "this B-list hero's death motivates our A-list heroes" sacrificial lamb, Agent Coulson being totally awol, Samuel Motherfucking Jackson given not a single god-damned thing to do, way more contrived plot twists and dei ex machinae of the "Donatello rescues Splinter by suddenly being able to build a time machine out of a flashlight" variety, an infinitely less-compelling villain (honestly, besides Loki, does Tony EVER fight any bad guys that weren't originally created by him?!)... hell, I'm seriously trying to think of a single thing that the sequel didn't do worse than the first movie, and I'm coming up empty. Well, there was the filmmakers letting Mark Ruffalo off the leash a bit and trying more things than basically standing around and looking nervous most of the time like he did in the first one, at least Age of Ultron's got that in its favor. But that, nice as it is to have, still ain't much.

Also, full disclosure, I'm not exactly a zealous worshiper of the first Avengers either. It's a 7 out of 10, an above-average tentpole flick which did everything it had to and did it pretty well. But it's hardly the greatest movie evah~! like some unfortunate people pretend it is (hell, neither is The Dark Knight, but that's a different pointlessly-long argument). It wasn't even my favorite recent Marvel movie, I thought both Captain America flicks, Guardians, and the majority of the Iron Man series totally smoked it as standalone films.

• Like 1

Everyone was worried about how Days of Future Past would fit all of those characters into a two hour movie and for the most part Singer did a nice job with it. Some characters didn't receive a lot of screen time but you knew everyone's motivations  I didn't see as many people concerned with how Marvel was going to fit a billion characters into this (or Civil War) but they receive a pass because.... Marvel...  I guess.  It's like the Transformers series. Everyone has given up on shitting on Michael Bay because no matter what the films are going to make a billion dollars and he doesn't care how poorly made they are. These are popcorn action movies for ages 12 and below.

SQpyd.gif

Yes, I've seen the Jordan gif a million times on the internet. There's a funnier one where he's playing pool. What does any of it have to do with Age of Ultron being exactly the same as the first Avengers.

It has plenty to do with the ridiculous statements, "These are popcorn action movies for ages 12 and below" and "how poorly made they are".

But I'm not surprised you've seen the .gif a lot. People must respond to your posts with it often when it's insanity like that.

Did some of you even watch AoU? There just seems to be an awful lot of explaining the obvious poot points.

Edit: "PLOT points," but, here, have a laugh; it's on me.

• Like 6

Apparently they explained some of the stuff I was asking about. Or so I'm told. As I was watching it, those scenes were so boring and colorless that these plot points didn't make any impression on me whatsoever.

For me, there just wasn't enough art in this movie. Marvel obviously didn't give a damn if the character arcs really made sense or not, and they were forcing a lot of bullshit into the story which didn't belong there in the first place. The first Avengers, after a somewhat shaky beginning, quickly settled into being a damn fine ensemble piece in which everyone (except Hawkeye) had a clearly-defined role and their own personal character journey and everything flowed together in a fairly logical fashion, at least by giant-explosion-epics standards. The new one? Not so much. Characters randomly wander in and out of the overcrowded storyline in a disjointed fashion, decisions are made for the most tenuous of reasons, and outside of hammer-lifting and hulk-busting I just didn't have much fun here. Heck, even poor Stan Lee's usual cameo felt rather forced and like someone had given a studio note "hey, give Stan something serious and badass to say for once (at least before he resumes his usual self-deprecation)". Really, what from the first movie led into this one? "Hawkeye wants to prove himself worthy of being on the team" seemed to be the only bridge to the first film, everything else was so arbitrary and done more for the sake of setting up future storylines than entertaining me now.

• Like 1

I'm still dumbfounded by the idea that the Hulk somehow has the ability to expertly pilot a state-of-the-art VTOL jet airplane. How did he even fit in the cockpit? And no, "he just turned back to Banner and then flew it" ain't an acceptable answer. Bruce isn't Tony or Widow, he has no idea how the hell to fly a Quinjet. (I'm remembering a much better superhero sequel, X-Men 2, and the tense-but-hilarious moment where Rogue flies the Blackbird to the team's rescue; it's appropriately jerking all over the place and damn near crashing because the movie remembers she's not a pilot and even though she's ridden in this jet a hundred times that doesn't mean she knows how to fly it correctly.)

Could he have found the autopilot, but gone thru the motions of flying, like how kids think they're playing videogames during those preview gameplay segments?

• Like 1

Jingus has made a ton of excellent points here but the thing about Hulk flying the jet..  I mean it's like when people say Joker doesn't have tattoos.  Yes, he has had tattoos in some comics and in most comics we don't even see him with his shirt off so who knows. 

With Hulk, maybe he has flown a jet in some iteration. Just like Superman has killed before. ;)

Most of these characters have been around now for 75 years or so you can bet at some point in time they've probably done something you wouldn't expect.

That's a really frustrating argument. 

No one's saying "character x can't do this because he's never did it in the comics!"

People are saying "character x shouldn't do this because it goes against the things that I care the most about character x." or the qualities that make character x special. Or what character x does in the movie is presented in a way that goes against how someone feels about the character. Very often, people were just as mad when character x did y in the comics as when he did it in the movie.

How do you not get this by now, my friend?

That's a really frustrating argument. 

No one's saying "character x can't do this because he's never did it in the comics!"

People are saying "character x shouldn't do this because it goes against the things that I care the most about character x." or the qualities that make character x special. Or what character x does in the movie is presented in a way that goes against how someone feels about the character. Very often, people were just as mad when character x did y in the comics as when he did it in the movie.

How do you not get this by now, my friend?

I get it but who are you or me or anyone to decide? I'm not a writer for Marvel comics.  I'm not the person who created any of these characters.  Batman used to hang people from jets back in the day. That reminds me of Sosa from Scarface. Or was it Suarez?  Who is to say that isn't the REAL Batman?  My argument is that there isn't any one single iteration of these characters that make them..  it's a combination of material from 50+ years with countless writers. 

What people are arguing is this:

"I feel like X should be this way. I think that the spirit of the character is Y. I think that it's ridiculous/cowardly/foolish/short-sighted/etc. to do a movie with character X that doesn't have that spirit represented."

I think it's stupid to do a Superman movie that doesn't glorify the human spirit and inspire hope. I also think that it's unfortunate that people feel they have to lean hard on Jesus metaphors in superman movies or that they sometimes stress his Kryptonian background as opposed to the fact he was raised by good people. 

They've never made a Superman movie that fully appeals to me. The closest might be S: TAS because of when it was made and the ethos behind it. 

There are also very few Superman runs that really hit the marks I want the character to hit, Roger Stern's being up there, Greg Rucka's being up there, as well as a few more. 

Likewise, I feel very strongly about Captain America. I feel like much of my ethos came from Cap and reading Gruenwald's run as a kid, a run that is flawed but presented Cap as the best of us, as someone who represents not America but the American dream, who can always try to find a better way. He's the guy who stood up to Thanos when he was a god. He's the guy who refused to consider the most extreme options for Wanda in House of M #1. He's the guy who would do what's right over what's "necessary" in the most recent run of New Avengers. He's also been written in ways I don't like. 

I feel like the Marvel movies are braver and more on point in that they present Captain America closer to what I see him as and want him to be than the most recent Superman movie and the trailers (and very premise) of the Superman vs Batman movie. That shades my opinion. 

"I don't own the characters so the comic/movie companies can do whatever they like. There's no right or wrong way to do things. Really, my opinion doesn't matter so I shouldn't present it or argue it."

That's what you just said, basically. Why are you even on a message board then? What's the point of talking to anyone?

I know there isn't Truth in this. We all know that. 

• Like 2

I have no issue with discussing problems a movie might have or in the wrestling board what makes a match good or bad.. etc..  It's subjective but worth discussing. I'm not sure debates about these particular characters are worth having because we've seen where it goes...  and that's because there are 50+ years of material.  Your Superman isn't everyone's Superman. 

Fuck Superman..  let's discuss Captain America since you brought him up.  Did you feel one way or another about him dropping the SHIELD files on the public? 

I think it was fairly consistent from what we've seen from Movie Cap.

I think that followed pretty soundly from his feelings in Avengers, having found the weapons. I'm not going to say that Cap is small government. I think he might support a really large Ministry of Education or Agriculture for instance. I think he has some serious concerns about the military-industrial complex, including being part of it himself. He's someone who respects the chain of command, but is willing to push it aside (like when he went to save Bucky in First Avenger). He's someone who understands the threat of Hydra better than anyone. The tree was rotted from the core. It was a world that he didn't make, one that had been warped and twisted from the seeds of his own work and the blood and tears of his friends, fellow soldiers, and countrymen. 

I can see him burning the tree down on the idea that they could start over. 

After that, he'd do everything he could to protect people from the consequences of his actions. You certainly see that he was doing everything he could to track down the remnants of Hydra. Frankly, though, I think we could have seen a bit more of him dealing with non-punching consequences there. A lot of people see Winter Soldier as the best Marvel movie. I don't think it's even better than First Avenger.

• Like 1

I do see the point when/if Cap is assassinated probably being a "it's my allergies" moment in the theater.

Chris Evans has really fucking killed it and doesn't get enough credit since he's next to RDJ all the time. I was never a big Cap guy in the comics until Chris Evans' portrayal. And I was certainly one of the people skeptical about his casting in the first place ("the Human Torch guy?").

• Like 1

He was perfect as the comic-relief character Jensen in The Losers, doing an incredibly uncanny impression of the comic book character. But since 1.hardly anyone saw The Losers, 2.absolutely NOBODY has read the comic book The Losers, and 3.Jensen's character was unfortunately close to the way Evans portrayed Johnny Storm, even though the performance was much more faithful to Jensen's on-the-page character than it was for the Human Torch. So nobody realized what a great piece of acting it was.

Also, remember him in Danny Boyle's Sunshine, which was the first thing that showed me Evans could be more than just an obnoxious bro type. (It also featured Michelle Yeoh in an unheard-of role where she is not required to get repeatedly punched in the face, which was actually a really nice performance and made me wish she'd done a bit less action and a lot more drama in her long awesome career.)