DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

OKC now needs to close out 25-11 to get into the playoffs assuming Phoenix stays on their current pace. That is a .694% winning percentage. The have had a winning percentage over .700 the last few seasons. Also this season they have played 7 more road games than home games this season. So it is still doable.

Dion Waiters though... 28% shooting percentage the last 7 games. 20% from 3.

Their remaining schedule has opponents with a 51% winning percentage. Suns 54%. Team with the hardest remaining schedule is Dallas at 55%.

Should look at New Orleans too I suppose. They currently need to go 23- 13. This week on Wednesday and Friday they play the Thunder. 2 most important games of the season so far. Pelicans opponents have a 52% winning percentage at the moment. NO also has more road games than home games at this point by 3.

Remaining schedule opponents winning percentage for teams in the hunt for the first pick. More accurately for worst record for highest shot at the pick.

1. Minnesota 54% (currently 8 wins)

2. Lakers 47% (13)

3. Knicks 46% (10)

4. Sixers 46% (10)

Big difference but Minnesota has Rubio about to come back. Same with Muhammad. Wiggins was much more productive with Muhammad in the starting lineup since teams have to put their best wing defender on Muhammad. Gives him a real physical edge playing the 2. Takes advantage of his size. They have a nice head start though only having 8 wins. Knicks are 5-5 in the last 10. My guess now would be Lakers finish with the worst record, 76ers second, Minnesota 3rd and New York 4th.

We're also all collectively remembering that, before he was on the Knicks, J.R. Smith was a really friggin' great bench guy on a very good Nuggets team.

JR Smith was a great bench guy for the Knicks as well.  He won 6th man of the year and helped them get the 2 seed.

I'm not sure if people were just overrating Dion Waiters or underrating JR Smith a month ago, but I'm glad people are starting to come back to reality.

• Like 1

We're also all collectively remembering that, before he was on the Knicks, J.R. Smith was a really friggin' great bench guy on a very good Nuggets team.

JR Smith was a great bench guy for the Knicks as well.  He won 6th man of the year and helped them get the 2 seed.

I'm not sure if people were just overrating Dion Waiters or underrating JR Smith a month ago, but I'm glad people are starting to come back to reality.

I forgot JR won the Sixth Man with the Knicks. I just thought it was Denver. Any crazy foolishness he was involved with on the Knicks is sort of their fault because of how awful that culture was and the team was more or less run by an agency (see: Chris Smith signing) before Phil went on board.

Sixers with a 21 point half time lead. With the usual amount of turnovers. 11 in the half. Just hitting everything. Sixers rebuilt Hollis Thompson's shot to give him a quicker release. Finally getting it comfortable with it. There are has been a lot of real progress with guys shooting this year. Be nice if the results were more obvious from the free throw line.

Noel has a strong case for rookie of the year if defense is weighed equally with offense. I don't like his chances since Wiggins will get credit for playing good defense since that was his perception coming into the league. Won't matter that it hasn't been true; because of inexperience and surrounding talent so no long term worries. Just doesn't deserve that credit yet. Noel leading rookies in rebounds, steals and blocks. Still on pace to be the first player since David Robinson to average 1.5 steals and blocks as a rookie. In crunch time Noel has guarded the other teams best player effectively even when they are point guards. The most impressive thing though is he is rarely in foul trouble. Noel's offensive rating of 89 is putrid. Not far from what Wiggins was had prior to January though. 91 in November, 95 in December and 109 in January. If it stays high like that a couple months from now Wiggins has a good shot at distancing himself. Not really sure why it would collapse back to pre January levels. Healthier team so he should be more efficient. Noel's has been climbing as well. 98 last month. Unlike McDaniels he should stay in the conversation until the end. Still seems clear though that Mirotic would win if he played more.

vht98m.jpg

32zq520.jpg

Sixers team D has been impressive over the last month or two.  It's sort of funny because people are still all about playing guys against the Sixers in DFS.  Which is weird considering the game is either a blowout or the Sixers are bringing the effort on defense.  I try to avoid both of those situations when constructing a lineup if I can.

We are in that mid-January lull before the all star break, where most teams (the good teams and the bad) just aren't playing with effort, but it's nice to see the Sixers still competing.  I wasn't on board with the rebuilding strategy at first, because it's so hard to develop players in a culture of losing, but they seem to be side stepping some of the problems I expected.

Edit: Speaking of DFS.  Does anyone else here play?  I'm on Draftkings, but I'm thinking about joining Fandeul as well.  I'm sort of awful at football, but I've won a decent amount of money on the NBA so far this year.

• Like 1

I watched GSW vs. Sacramento last night. I haven't watched the Kings too much since they fired Malone. What a disgraceful team. Their collective ability to not give one crap is somewhat inspiring. Boogie not caring one bit on that Speight in-bounds dunk was one of the best awful plays of the season. What's ridiculous about Boogie is that he's mailing it in but still getting 30-10s.

Nets beat Dinosaurs in Toronto tonight. Did not see that coming. Also got an email "from the desk of Scott O'Neil" offering me a two year price freeze if I renew my Sixers tixs. He basically comes out and says they are going to be bad for the next few years which is why they are making the offer. Give the guy credit for honesty. I'm renewing but don't know how they can justify raising prices for those who are new STH's, but they own the godawful Devils and are raising prices there too.

Regardless of how this year turns out Hassan Whiteside has made everything worth it. I am having such a blast watching this kid play, I haven't been this excited for a young player on the Heat in forever.

I feel like if were time travel ever invented the first thing I'd want done with it is send Whiteside back to 2010. 

• Like 2

Regardless of how this year turns out Hassan Whiteside has made everything worth it. I am having such a blast watching this kid play, I haven't been this excited for a young player on the Heat in forever.

Not only has he been a really good defensive presence on the court, his tweets about his 2K rating give me life.  For example:

@NBATV: That 2K rating should keep going up for @YoungWhiteside. He leads the @MiamiHEAT to a win in Boston. ” 1f62d.png1f62d.png1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png

924621_819062528134883_323027112_n.jpg

• Like 1

I just gasp at the shots he takes. He doesn't even have to make them for me to bug my eyes out. Today he fired up a step-back three off of a behind-the-back dribble and it rimmed out. And it's not like he's a ballhog, either, since he's the best passer alive right now, too.There's never been anyone like him. Ever.

I just gasp at the shots he takes. He doesn't even have to make them for me to bug my eyes out. Today he fired up a step-back three off of a behind-the-back dribble and it rimmed out. And it's not like he's a ballhog, either, since he's the best passer alive right now, too.There's never been anyone like him. Ever.

Yeah, I couldn't even get mad a the D on a lot of those last night, since we generally played him pretty tight.  It's like, how do you stop a dude from dropping 26 footers?