DVDVR Message Board

Non-Big Two Comics Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Finally getting around to one of the 80's independent series that I always wanted to read but hadn't had accessibility to, ZOT!.  I bought the paperback compendium that collects the B/W series.  Really looking forward to it,  I may go back to Scott McCloud's other books after this.

Read Vol 1 of Lazarus and hot damn does Greg Rucka know how to rope me from the get go!

Dystopian future?

Check!

Intriguing female lead character?

Check!

Intriguing political/familial sub-lots?

Check

I'm all set to read Vol. 2

James

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy fuck, Alan Moore's Crossed +100 #5 just blew my mind.  That crotchety old bastard is still damn good at what he does.

It's a whole series? Dadgummit, now I've got something new to keep up with...

Holy fuck, Alan Moore's Crossed +100 #5 just blew my mind.  That crotchety old bastard is still damn good at what he does.

I think it's a limited series, maybe only 6 issues....but he has built it up damn well.  He's made like a whole new future slanguage for the series, it's kind of nuts to read at first until you start to think like the characters then it's crazy how it clicks together.

Providence looks like it will be amazing also, it's a 12 issue series with heavy Cthulu/Yellow King/Old Gods themes so far...so I can't wait to see how deep the rabbit hole goes on that book.

Holy fuck, Alan Moore's Crossed +100 #5 just blew my mind. That crotchety old bastard is still damn good at what he does.

First six issues only for Moore. After that it seems to go into rotating teams like the main book.

Went to Heroes Con in Charlotte, NC this weekend, I bought Manhattan Projects V. 1-3 by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Patarra.   Blazed through Vol. 1 yesterday.  I can say nothing but great things about it.

Local comic shop cut me a deal. So got King's Watch 1-5,and the first two issues of Phantom,Mandrake,Flash Gordon,Jungle Jim and Prince Valiant. Only read King's watch and the first two issues of Mandrake and Phantom so far,but really enjoyed them. I hope this doesn't end up  like most things at Dynamite. Where after a year or so they just stop publishing the series.

King's Watch and the general Dynamite King Features stuff looks really interesting to me, but I haven't bitten the bullet.  Jeff Parker doing Flash Gordon seems like something that should give me a nerdboner, but I've never quite bothered.

Unrelated: Thank Primus Combiner Wars is over.  I continue to live in terror of the Transformers comics being victims of their own success; when they were a weird nostalgia thing for people in their 30s and 40s they made some amazing space opera. Now that Hasbro is paying attention again, I keep expecting my favorite characters to be hijacked as soon as a new toy comes out.

To be fair, i hate Crossed and most Avatar stuff. I couldnt even finish Gillen's Uber and i love his other stuff.

I got the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that Dino was the person really behind the Fox revival and waid was "just" scripting.

I liked the first volume. Second not as much.

Avatar is hit or miss. I like Crossed and the Alan Moore stuff they have put out. Hated the vampires vs zombie series written by Max Brooks. And their revival of Hellina was worse than the original Hellina stuff Lightning put out in the mid 90s.