DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

On 21/04/2016 at 1:57 AM, Eivion said:

Read Return of Bruce Wayne & Batman & Robin Must Die. Will have to reread the whole thing closer together at some point, but I thought it was a great conclusion to the whole Hurt/Black Glove saga. Morrison's Joker was such a pleasure to read. Going through Road Home right now. After that I will hopefully pick up Incorporated, Black Mirror, & Gates of Gotham next month.

Glad you like it. Grant Morrison's Batman run is terrific so with that goes his Joker. When I think of the Joker, it's the writing under Grant Morrison and Paul Dini/Bruce Timm. Honourable mentions to Ed Brubaker and Scott Snyder.

On 21/04/2016 at 4:42 PM, WholeFnMachine said:

American Vampire is part of Vertigo and that book is killer. Another limited series that did well as part of Vertigo was the Wake penned by Scott Snyder with art by Sean Gordon Murphy. 

Thanks for the confirmation American Vampire is under the Vertigo label/banner. I thought it was. Fellow fans of the series.

On 23/04/2016 at 3:06 AM, Brian Fowler said:

13055583_10205719767825691_6821179007688[/IMG]

13012775_10205719768025696_6196743366538

Finaly trying to organize some of my collection. I'm deeply conflicted on keeping All-Star Batman and Robin with All-Star Superman or putting it with the rest of the Batman stuff.

No, that is not an excessive number of copies of Dark Knight Returns

Great taste with Grant Morrison's Batman run including Absolute versions and the Batman books in your collection, especially Batman: Year One. No Batwoman: Elegy, Brian? What's the difference in Dark Knight Returns books? Thanks.

Finished Bruce Wayne: The Road Home yesterday. I honestly wasn't sure about this one going, but it turned out better than expected by the end. It ended up being a solid build up to Incorporated and decent finish to Vicki Vale's plot.

• Like 1

I have the 30th anniversary hardcover, which was part of a really cool line DC has been doing where they release a graphic novel in hardcover with a blu-ray and DVD of the animated film based on it, and digital codes for the movie on ultraviolet and the book on Comixology.

Also up there is The Dark Knight Saga Deluxe Edition, has DKR and DKSA in it oversized. It's really the Absolute edition shrunk down to deluxe size. Minus the slipcase.

Then the last one is from the relatively new BATMAN NOIR line, which is slightly larger than the deluxe line, reprints the pencils and inks without any color (some greywash is still there) on absurdly nice paper stock. It's the only one I have from this line so far, but Long Halloween, Hush, Black Mirror, and a collection of Eduardo Risso Batman stories are out, and The Killing Joke is getting one later this year. They also have WATCHMEN NOIR scheduled for later this year.

I also have a paperback copy of DKR somewhere. I'm not even that big a fan of it, but counting digital, I've wound up with five different versions of it.

• Like 1

Grayson has definitely lost a step after the departure of King, Seeley, and Janin. can't wait to get Seeley back on Nightwing in June or whenever that starts.

looking forward to checking out the finale of the Snyder/Capullo team. haven't read anything post-Endgame. guess it's time to dive in to Superheavy and whatever this month's issue is called.

• Like 1

ok, i sat down and read the final 12ish issues of Snyder & Capullo's Batman.

There's nothing really spoiler-y that i'm going to say, but i'm spoiler-tagging it just in case.

man, i had no problem with Gordon as Batman, but i was really saddened when Bruce demanded to be brought back as Bats. I was fully on Alfred's side and just wanted Bruce to be able to live a relatively quiet life with Julie Madison.

also, holy fuck at that scene with Bruce and non-Joker, sitting calmly on the park bench, Joker practically begging Bruce to not return to status quo. that was a hell of a moment that i hope gets remembered in 5 or 10 years.

the reveal of Bloom seemed a bit inconsequential but it was a fun fight with Bruce-Bats taking on the villain while Gordon-Bats crashed the system.

• Like 2

On 25/04/2016 at 1:07 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I have the 30th anniversary hardcover, which was part of a really cool line DC has been doing where they release a graphic novel in hardcover with a blu-ray and DVD of the animated film based on it, and digital codes for the movie on ultraviolet and the book on Comixology.

Also up there is The Dark Knight Saga Deluxe Edition, has DKR and DKSA in it oversized. It's really the Absolute edition shrunk down to deluxe size. Minus the slipcase.

Then the last one is from the relatively new BATMAN NOIR line, which is slightly larger than the deluxe line, reprints the pencils and inks without any color (some greywash is still there) on absurdly nice paper stock. It's the only one I have from this line so far, but Long Halloween, Hush, Black Mirror, and a collection of Eduardo Risso Batman stories are out, and The Killing Joke is getting one later this year. They also have WATCHMEN NOIR scheduled for later this year.

I also have a paperback copy of DKR somewhere. I'm not even that big a fan of it, but counting digital, I've wound up with five different versions of it.

Cheers, Brian.

On 29/04/2016 at 2:57 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Snyder and Capullo definitely went out on a high note with #51

Agreed. Great Batman run with the odd missteps.

Rebirth costume designs.

After showcasing Batman new costume, as illustrated by Jim Lee, Scott Williams and Alex Sinclair, alongside several other "Rebirth" revamps, DC Comics has provided CBR with a look at Greg Capullo's original design.

As you can see below, the art comes in two versions, one with annotations, and the other without. The notes point out such details as the full nose on the Caped Crusader's cowl, "reminiscent of the 'Dark Knight Returns' and the 1943 serial," the yellow outline around the chest emblem, purple lining inside the cape, and a "bat-like" belt, with a fang shape in the front.

capullo1capullo2

I like the Bat logo with the gold trim. I'm not keen on the black utility belt with gold trim. Unsure about how the cape’s attached. I’d prefer the purple on the cape’s inside to be blue. Also purple is the Joker’s colour.

Rebirth costume designs.

DC Comics' "Rebirth" initiative is set to launch in late May starting with the "DC Universe: Rebirth" one-shot written by Geoff Johns and illustrated by Gary Frank, Ivan Reis, Phil Jimenez and Ethan Van Sciver. "Rebirth" aims to bring back some of what's been missing from DC's recent output -- though exactly what elements and which characters are coming back remains mostly a mystery -- and relaunch every series with a new #1, except for "Action Comics" and "Detective Comics," which are returning to their old-school numbering (starting with #957 and #934, respectively).

The "Rebirth" relaunch also brings refreshed looks for many of DC's major characters, including Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman -- and CBR has a look at annotated character designs by artists Jim Lee, Tony Daniel, Pat Gleason, Brad Walker, Jonboy Meyers & Jorge Jimenez; covering the aforementioned iconic trilogy plus Aquaman, Green Lantern Jessica Cruz, the Super Sons and Harley Quinn & Killer Croc of the Suicide Squad.

rebirth batman jim lee

rebirth designs 7rebirth designs 8

rebirth designs 9rebirth designs 10

rebirth designs 1rebirth designs 2

rebirth designs 4rebirth designs 5

rebirth designs 6

Untitled 1

Apart from my issues with the Batsuit, I like all the other Rebirth costumes particularly Wonder Woman and Robin. Switch Supes boots to red and it's done for me.

The gold trim on Batman's design actually looks better in Jim Lee's pic. Overall I'm fine with the new design. WW looks fine though I think I actually prefer the new 52 look. I couldn't put my finger on what I didn't like about the Superman design, and you said it with the lack of red boots. It feels weird w/o them. I love Damian's new look. Harley's look is at least better than crap they started her out with in the New 52. Ultimately its still a design I will never love due to the asinine Jokerizing of her skin and changing of her hair color.

• Like 1

Just now, Eivion said:

The gold trim on Batman's design actually looks better in Jim Lee's pic. Overall I'm fine with the new design. WW looks fine though i think I actually prefer the new 52 look. I couldn't put my hand on what I didn't like about the Superman design and you said with the lack of red boots. It feels weird w/o them. I love Damian's new look. Harley's look is at least better than crap they started her out with in the New 52. Ultimately its still a design I will never love due to the asinine Jokerizing of her skin and changing of her hair color.

We're in agreement.

Poor Aquaman.  No amount of redesigning is going to make his outfit look good.  They need to ditch the orange shirt altogether.

Wonder Woman's design is prob my favorite.  Robin and Superboy's don't work for me.

On 30/04/2016 at 9:42 PM, twiztor said:

ok, i sat down and read the final 12ish issues of Snyder & Capullo's Batman.

There's nothing really spoiler-y that i'm going to say, but i'm spoiler-tagging it just in case.

Hide contents

man, i had no problem with Gordon as Batman, but i was really saddened when Bruce demanded to be brought back as Bats. I was fully on Alfred's side and just wanted Bruce to be able to live a relatively quiet life with Julie Madison.

also, holy fuck at that scene with Bruce and non-Joker, sitting calmly on the park bench, Joker practically begging Bruce to not return to status quo. that was a hell of a moment that i hope gets remembered in 5 or 10 years.

the reveal of Bloom seemed a bit inconsequential but it was a fun fight with Bruce-Bats taking on the villain while Gordon-Bats crashed the system.

On the Bloom reveal:

They kind of played him as Gordon's Joker, complete with the same twist from Zero Year where the original leader of the Red Hood Gang was killed and his identity usurped by the eventual Joker.

So that was more about parallels than anything else.

5 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

On the Bloom reveal:

hmm, hadn't thought of that.

i suppose that does add to the context and emotions. still not quite what i was looking for, but gives me a better appreciation for it.

I read recent Batman books by Batman, a monthly UK magazine collecting them. I’ll probably DC Universe Rebirth Special #1, Batman: Rebirth #1 and Batman #1 (All Star Batman #1 also) to read in real time and then carry on reading them with the Batman UK book. I wonder what it will print from Rebirth. Batman is a given, good chance All Star Batman makes it to carry on Scott Snyder’s work. I’d say they’ll accompany Batman: Eternal.  

EDIT: May also get Detective Comics #934.

On 04/05/2016 at 10:40 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I never quite understood what Bloom was/could do/etc

So...*heavy* spoilers obviously.

There were two Blooms. The first was the dude from Team Batman who was Duke's buddy. He was a bioengineer who created the seeds that give superpowers. They also gave him power over organic matter including the ability to shift his own, thus the morphing. He originally meant to hand them out to empower low income people in Gotham but the combo of his cousin dying when the powers gave out mid-flight and Batman/Bruce Wayne starting to learn what the people needed and making things better caused him to rethink things.

This is what Batman #44 showed us though we wouldn't get full context until #50.

When Batman 'died' he lost hope and went back to doing Bloom things, using criminals instead of loved ones to work out the kinks. At some point, someone broke into his lab, took a seed and a mask as well as info about his work with the Batman project and started wreaking havoc as Bloom 2, seemingly with just the ability to manipulate his own body and recuperative abilities. He was more of a Joker type, speaking in garden metaphors to play to the gimmick but seemingly into violence, controlled chaos, bringing out the worst in people...etc. Apparently he made the seeds power him when used so he preyed on the city's despair, but when Batman came back the city found their hope and ditched the seeds, losing him the power and along with what Gordon did, defeating him. He's very clearly Gordon's Joker, with the origin crossover I mentioned as well as narrative similarities...meticulous plans that have the outside appearance of chaos, murder for fun, obsession with Batman, and his finale depending on people's hopelessness in the same kind of way as Joker in TDK. Snyder even brings it up in the last talk between Gordon and Bruce.

3 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Darwyn Cooke is in palliative care for an aggressive form of cancer. Which means it's expected he has less than three months left.

As the man himself said: Fuck cancer.

Horrible news, he's such a phenomenal talent, fuck cancer indeed.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

CBR has posted an obit and Brubaker has been tweeting about it, so i would think they would have known if it were true or not. 

CBR didn't have the obit up when I was on the site earlier.  Looks like they just confirmed it in the past hour or so.