DVDVR Message Board

British Bootcamp 2

TNA taped the British Boot Camp 2 mid-season finale earlier today in London with the wrestlers who've made it through the auditions round. There were supposed to be only 12 people competing on today's show for a chance to move onto the final round but it ended up being 16 people. The following matches were taped today:

Rampage Brown vs. Dave Mastiff

Noam Dar vs. El Ligero

Sha Samuels vs. Grado

Kris Travis vs. Mark Andrews

Martin Stone & Joel Redman vs. RJ Singh & Richard Parliament

Kay Lee Ray vs. Nikki Storm vs. Leah Owens vs. Kasey Owens

So these are the people who're going for the contract. Several of them will be going to the States soon where the winner of the show will be determined.

Okay - it is totally fucking awesome that that first match is happening

It is also totally fucking unfair that that match is happening if it means only one of them is coming stateside

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday in Fayetteville TNA taped several matches for Boot Camp:

Dave Mastiff vs. Samoa Joe

Rampage Brown vs. Bram

Mark Andrews vs. DJ Z

Noam Dar vs. Austin Aries

Grado vs. Ethan Carter III

Kay Lee Ray vs. Gail Kim

So, there's your final six. One of them is winning the TNA contract.

They also taped an 8-person tag with the contestants (plus Angelina Love & Al Snow) the day before in Roanoke Rapids.

What was interesting is that the one set of spoilers I read - the guy at the show had no idea what was going on and why so many British guys were featured.

So I am curious if the person is just an idiot or if TNA didn't promote at all that it was a British Bootcamp Show (they supposedly at least acknowledged that it was an international TV taping)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really enjoyed this, and the Grado storyline is going to be fantastic. Loved his reason for being late to the physical - "I was at the Buffet King, man". They picked the right three to progress from the physical. No idea how the generic bald lad got past round one, especially when they showed footage of Sebastian Radclaw auditioning who is just fantastic.

The first episode has popped up online. You can see it here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x289ran_tna-british-boot-camp-2-episode-1_sport

There's also an official post-show that features some unaired footage of Sebastian Radclaw being one the wackiest wrestling characters on the planet:

----------------------------------------

I thought Nikki Storm was by far the best promo out of all of them. No surprise there, really. Really glad to see her go through.

Noam Dar and Kay Lee Ray are both great in-ring talent so it was good to see them go through as well, even though I thought they could've shown more personality.

As expected, Grado was very likeable as well. I'm looking forward to his comeback storyline playing out. I don't know that he can win the whole thing, but I can definitely see Grado being one of the 3 runners-up who get awarded spots on the UK tour.

I liked Viper too. Was a bit disappointed she didn't go through as I would've liked to see her in action, but can definitely see why she didn't make it.

Overall, I thought it was a fun first episode. Could've been better, but it was fun. Really enjoyed seeing the UK talent being given some spotlight.

Yeah, Nikki Storm really stood out there.

Kaylee Ray looked familiar then I remembered I had seen her in that insane power bomb spot that was going about Facebook las year.

The Viper had a unique look, she had that Havok / Kharma ass kicker body type but with she has this cutesy adorable face.

Grado, I don't understand a word he says, but his mannerisms are comical as hell "medium daddy". His bit with Spud was pretty funny as well. "Grado you've just blown your last chance!" ... "Awreeally nawww man"

Noam Dar looks a bit like a young Paul London. He came off pretty good when he was challenging Joe in Hebrew.

Transvestite guy seemed a bit off, he wanted to 'open the eyes' of wrestling fans forgetting that overly flamboyant wrestlers have existed since the dawn of time.

More Spud presenting stuff also.

Tank guy blowing up after 20 squat thrusts was pretty funny. Gremlin guy was annoying as hell and the rest were just there.

Thought it was interesting just how openly Al discussed the looks of the girls. Thought they might be a bit more subtle in that regards.

I saw Jeremy Borash at a show right near my house around the time they were filming the series, with Kay Lee Ray beating Martin Kirby in a weapon-filled main event. Wasn't surprised to see her get through, though I don't think she's quite polished enough yet.

Mr Tank blowing up reminded me of the Batista/ Sarge Power Plant story. Kind of embarrassing when Al Snow had the second best conditioned body of anyone on screen in the episode... and odd to see him being all Pro. Wrestling. Is. A. Serious. Business!, when he's had more comedy matches than anyone.

I thought Mark Andrews was the standout performer this week. Never had him down as a promo guy, but he came across really well, plus he's got the bonus of being a great wrestler. Rampage's promo was pretty terrible, hope that was just an off moment.

I sort of wonder if they get any guidance from Borash on who to put through, especially if they aren't too familiar with the BritWres guys. They seemed pretty negative about Travis' in-ring skill, so I can imagine someone like JB, who watches a lot of British promotions, telling them that Trav is one of the best wrestlers in the UK and has to go through.

Man, how fantastic did Rampage Brown look in those clips they showed from Progress Wrestling? Those were great. Shame his promo was so crap. Andrews surprised me as well. Always figured him to be quite bland outside of the ring. Nice to know he's got some personality to him.

Sidenote, did anyone else notice what appeared to be Chris Masters, of all people, randomly walking into the building while Spud was talking to the final two guys who were eliminated? Way to make your TNA TV debut, Chris!