DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Two episodes in and I am hooked on Active Raid.  So yeah, the premise is pretty much a copy of Viper's Creed, but unlike Viper's Creed, they made this show a lot of fun.  Fun characters, fun designs and great animation so far.  The way the heroine's mecha bombards her with spam pop-up ads after she launches it was hilarious.  The show has some fun satirical touches to today's society.  

That being said, quicksand is such a random and weird near post-apocalyptic cataclysm.  Like Tokyo was hit by a wave of quicksand events that decimated the city.  The show is paying some vague lip-service to this, and it's weird.  Like they were trying to give this world some sort of cataclysmic event that has shifted society, and here it happens to be...massive quicksand events.

Don't send her in blind to Zeta without at least making her watch the the first 3 UC movies. I'd say watch Hrlock and Galaxy Express 999 and maybe L-Gaim

James

I don't have easy access to L-Gaim.  Harlock and GE999 are both on every streaming site under the sun.  I was thinking DYRL both because it was incredibly important to me when I was 16 (as silly as that seems now) and because she's seen Robotech, intellectually knew that it was made by trying to tie 3 shows into one coherent whole, but has never seen any of it (or any subsequent Macross product) unadulterated.

For the record, she liked DYRL quite a bit but (a) can't deal with Minmay music and (b) kept calling chars by Robotech names.  We will probably watch BGC Classic after finishing Hellsing Ultimate, as she's seen and likes 2040 and Blade Runner is her favorite US movie, yet somehow she's never seen original BGC.

She's seen both FMAs; she's generally more knowledgeable than me on more recent stuff. I'm specifically looking for 80s and early 90s stuff that she's likely to enjoy but hasn't already seen.  Thanks for the suggestion on Snow White; I'll google it and possibly bring it up after we've finished showing each other things we adore that the other's never seen.  

• Like 1

Is Kimagure Orange Road on Hulu?

That just seems like the perfect "Couples" anime

James

Speaking of which, it's still a shame that the second Shin KOR novel never got animated since, IMO, it's a much better story than the first novel.  Although, parts of it would have to be changed to account for the plot change from the first novel when they animated it.

I remember feeling like the first Shin Kor movie was 90 minutes of build just because someone thought it was super important to show Madoka and Kyosuke's first night together.  I loved the TV series when I watched it, but it didn't really stick with me. I remember the arc and random moments, but aside from "TAP Gun" I couldn't recount a single episode's start-to-finish plot.

I think I know why I'm enjoying Active Raid so much. It feels like a Sunrise show from the 90s. Its fun, full action and has heroic characters. Its kind of like a Brave Robot show threw up all over Bubblegum Crisis and I'm 100% ok with that (to go along with my Tiger & Bunny analogy from before)

James

I think I know why I'm enjoying Active Raid so much. It feels like a Sunrise show from the 90s. Its fun, full action and has heroic characters. Its kind of like a Brave Robot show threw up all over Bubblegum Crisis and I'm 100% ok with that (to go along with my Tiger & Bunny analogy from before)

James

I'm loving it for similar reasons.  Plus it makes social commentary very amusing but not like blatantly annoying and preachy.  

Could someone tell me what Cowboy Bebop Episode 0 is?  I see it was an extra on the most recent Bebop box set.

I assume it's "Mish-Mash Blues" (which I've always called Session XX)?

If it's something else, I might pick up the box set to get it.  Don't really need it otherwise, though.

Thanks.

so i'm definitely not an anime fan (tho i LOVE Cowboy Bebop) but i recently watched the first episode of Kinnikuman from 1983 and it's awesome. unfortunately, it looks like nobody ever dubbed the series into English outside the first two-part episode. sad day.

OK, now I'm needing Active Raid to stop being so formulaic.  Each episode, it's Unit 8 gets the job done, but through some convoluted coincidence they are made to look like fools or bad guys because of these creepy hackers.  These creepy hackers are specifically targeting Unit 8 for one reason or another.  Unit 8 is already apparently known as a problem division or on thin ice, but did they wrong this kid in the past or what?  

Maybe he was a victim of police injustice or brutality.