DVDVR Message Board

2014 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

First Rotten Tomatoes reviews out for Edge of Tommorow, 92% fresh and A Million Days to Die in the West is 50% rotten. Think I'm in trouble with the former, didn't know Tom Cruise was in the film as I did no research for this year's entry.

22 Jump Street as the #1 best reviewed movie of the summer!? That's some big balls right there.

Disagree. I think it's a pretty safe move.

Well received first film (85%). Directors/writers (Lord & Miller) who seemingly can't do any wrong.

IMO, it's only barely ballsy cause HTTYD2 is still available.

Other than that, I think it's a great top choice at four weeks into the pool (thus limiting Lacelle's choices).

• Like 1

I've read a few reviews of Maleficent, and most of them seem to say they went the sympathetic/redemption route with Maleficent instead of the pure evil direction.  Eh.  I can't complain too much because they need the kids to bring in the long term money for it, but I think the latter direction would have been more fun.

The reviews haven't been great for it too.  I thought the trailer looked fine and I put it very high on my RT list.  At the rate of the reviews, it's going to be the first bomb on my RT list.  Shots on the house.

A Million Ways to Die in the West is probably going get trashed in the RT rating.  They gave away the Back to the Future gag in the trailer, which is the only thing I found interesting it.  Seth has his fans though so the box office might still be solid.

Edited by _MJ_

It's Spanish for not very efficient, right?

Because...seriously, who puts people to sleep? You're evil, finish the job.

It's mind boggling to me that, judging from the trailer, they actually have her spell be to put Aurora into a deep sleep, and not kill her.  In the damn 1959 cartoon, she was cursing the girl to death, and it was only the third good fairy having her gift left to bestow that allowed it to be commuted down to "enchanted sleep."

Yes, I know too much about Disney films.

• Like 1

A Million Days to Die in the West is probably going get trashed in the RT rating.  They gave away the Back to the Future gag in the trailer, which is only thing I found interesting it.  Seth has his fans though so the box office might still be solid.

Seeing dreadful reviews everywhere. As you say the BO will be fine but RT will be i'd guess 40-50

Second bottom! i thought mid-table at least :(

A Million Days to Die in the West is probably going get trashed in the RT rating.  They gave away the Back to the Future gag in the trailer, which is only thing I found interesting it.  Seth has his fans though so the box office might still be solid.

Seeing dreadful reviews everywhere. As you say the BO will be fine but RT will be i'd guess 40-50

Second bottom! i thought mid-table at least :(

40-50 is probably mid-table with these films.

Keep in mind, we still have Transformers and TMNT coming up.

"I know Disney is pushing this film for children, but when you can make an argument that this is a fairy tale about murdering the men responsible for the ritual genital mutilation of little girls, it feels like perhaps Disney missed the mark with this one."

Not quite what I was expecting

I think movies like Maleficent and Snow White and The Huntsman make for great ideas on paper, and have amazing trailers, but they usually don't make for great feature films. It's like beyond "Get in famous actress to show another side of a fairytale villainess in a super dark reboot" the producers didn't actually have any ideas.

Disney are doing a Cruela De Vil film at some point too, I heard.

As of this posting

Maleficent - 47% (97 Reviews - 46/51)

Million Ways West - 33% (98 Reviews - 32/66)

Edge of Tomorrow - 94% (31 Reviews - 29/2)

As of this posting

Maleficent - 47% (97 Reviews - 46/51)

Million Ways West - 33% (98 Reviews - 32/66)

Edge of Tomorrow - 94% (31 Reviews - 29/2)

Need Edge of Tommorow to drop in the RT list and not make money. I had it #15 in that list. Didn't do any research this time around. Only films I did know about, comic book movies.