DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Mojo's cheering section really bothers me. They sit dead center of the hard camera and are absolutely comatose for everything that happens on the show other than that goofy fucker. It is a) visually distracting, b ) a downer, and c) the opposite of staying hyped.

Seriously I know that NXT tapes about 4 or 5 weeks at a time but man when is this cheering section going to go home.  Unless they are now recruiting fans as members of his family which is only slightly more realistic than Gronk being a fan of Rawley

The Bret Hart appearance was so pathetic.  First of all why was he needed to begin with if Ric Flair wasn't going to show up.  It isn't like he is going to get physical with Sasha Banks.   So the match is over and Sasha does run-in and Bret just stands there doing nothing.  

Was impressed at how much offense Yoshi Tatsu got in his match.   should leave him down there because at least he can be a competitive jobber instead of one that gets squashed once every 6 months. 

I think most of the Mojo section is his family. It used to be a handful but has grown over time. He really is over for the most part at Full Sail. I'm looking forward to him being a Heyman guy in about 2 years.

Bret looked stoned out of his mind but I guess that was the pain pills?

MOJO vs. CJ PARKER is a match. Neither guy has too much interesting offense. CJ's really good as a smug heel and Mojo's good at selling. I also like his explosiveness doing his Stinger Splashes out of nowhere. His finisher is still dumb. I have no idea why you guys are hating so much. He's a green wrestler who is getting better and has a lot of energy and charisma. If this was WCW Saturday Night, he'd have the first opening match or would be in a tax match opposite the Cole Twins or what have you. He's getting better. I think he needs to get in the ring against someone a lot more talented (even someone like Corey Graves) to get him to work something beyond "you come in and run around, get beat up for a while, and then win energetically."

I love the little NXT side things they do like this Sami Zayn interview about him getting his bell rung next week. It just really adds to the story on a week-to-week basis. It took about 30 seconds of time and serves as a refresher about what a jerk move Corey Graves pulled on him and why they now have an issue.

XAVIER WOODS vs. TYLER BREEZE. Man, I hate Xavier Woods. I wish they'd give him his own theme music instead of giving him the awful Tons Of Funk thing. I mean, I think Xavier Woods is just going to be what he is -- babyface jobber, smart guy, great for appearances, etc. -- no matter what. But at least give him something to run with. LIke my man Tyler Breeze. I hope they make Tyler a legit threat to win the title at some point. I liked his stuff against Neville earlier in the show and he'd be a really fun arrogant champion. Alex Riley talking about charisma is a low point of professional wrestling in 2014. I really liked X's head scissor thing. Breeze's turnbuckle bulldog thing was a really cool move. X's running knee strike looked NASTY. The struggle in the corner was eh -- Xavier didn't really look or sound to great fighting for position. Breeze steals a win with the Beauty Shot.

This was an okay match in terms of how it was structured. The moves all looked from good-to-great. But they just need to fill the gaps between moves better than they did for this to make it really stand out.  It was perfectly acceptable -- they just need to put in some bells-and-whistles and it would be really good.

COREY GRAVES comes out and he's all of a sudden become someone I really like a lot. He is such a great jerk heel. And a HEEL. He gives no one anything to root for, which is what a heel should do. It's way better than what he was doing. He's taking on YOSHI TATSU. This is a rematch from Graves using Yoshi to lure out Sami Zayn. Man, this match was pretty good. I liked Yoshi's fired up offense against Corey's cheapshot nastiness going into some simple but nasty knee work. Corey has to figure out a way to make himself feel bigger. A lot of NXT dudes have that -- he was yelling at the ref about something but needs to SCREAM it. The divas do a great job with that, as does Sami and Tyler Breeze. He doesn't have to be Bray Wyatt screaming "I WELCOME THIS WAR!" for 20,000 people to hear at once but he needs to really up the volume of his presence. He looks a TON better than he did last year, though.

CHARLOTTE w/ Sasha Banks (and picture of Summer) has a GREAT heel entrance. She looks like a total smarmy pain-in-the ass. Man, can we go back in time and convince Bret to just not appear. Bret was at one point THE COOLEST and no he looks so lame. It's really sad. It just goes to show you what a lifetime in this industry can do to you, especially when you have the insane life Bret Hart had. I do like a good family feud, though. Man, Charlotte looked REALLY great snapping out of a body lock. Natalia in NXT has been so good. She was utterly useless last year but looks like a million bucks against the NXT girls. Renee saying "DANG" after Natalya's cool back walk thing was hilarious AND appropriate. We also need to talk about Sasha as a second. "BREAK HER LEG! BREAK HER LEG GIRL!" I can't believe Sasha hasn't gotten a call-up yet. I love Charlotte working the leg for a figure four. I really liked this as a "sharpshooter vs. figure four" thing quite a bit. I loved Charlotte looking on acting all hurt while Natalya hooked the Sharpshooter on Natalya. Man, Bret looked pilled out of his mind at the end, though.

BO DALLAS vs. ADRIAN NEVILLE makes me realize that these guys have a LOT of wet stuff in their hair. Neville is a freak of an athlete. I loved the dive to the floor after Bo thought he escaped the Red Arrow. I loved Bo taking out Neville's feet when he was about to do a springboard. Bo telling the ref to back out in order to sucker job Neville with a lariat on the floor was great. Bo's facial expressions getting frustrated are so good. He really, really, really gets that part of it. Like frighteningly so. I absolutely love watching Bo work and it's not because he's that great in what we think of when we think of really good wrestlers. But he looks like such a weenie when acting like a face, so angry when he's frustrated and does the sneaky "use all parts of the ring" perfectly. Bo trying to hold the rope for a three count was a perfect example of that.

This match was awesome. Is it the best NXT match not involving Sami Zayn, Cesaro or Regal? Big E. vs. Rollins was gold but had a giant shmozz. I loved how these guys know each other so well and it took a new move to win for Neville. Does my man Aerostar use that inward 450 pike Neville used to win? Insane move. I really dug this match a ton.

Greggulator talking about NXT: Mojo doesn't have interesting offense and his finisher is dumb, but he's got charisma and will probably improve.

Pretty much everyone else talking about NXT: Mojo doesn't have interesting offense and his finisher is dumb, but he's got charisma and will probably improve.

Greggulator: OMG WHY DO YOU GUYS HATE SO MUCH BE POSI YOU GUYYYYSSSSSS!

• Like 2

I don't care that Mojo Rawley will probably get better. Right now, he is awful at everything and gets more TV time than everyone. There is no one worse on the show right now. It's not close. I don't think there has been a face character in my recent memory I want to get behind less.

Alex Riley was a lot better on this one. He seems to be trying to channel a bit a Heenan, but needs someone to Monsoon it up a bit for it to work. 

"He's trying to save the planet! Get off his back!"

"Riley what kind of car do you even drive?"

"...A kiwi."

Instead of just laughing at the wacky statement, I wish that they had run with it until a logical 'will you stop?' ending. "A kiwi? That's not even a car." "Shows what you know about low emission vehicles." "Will you stop?" 

I think Mojo's first step to improving will be to hit one fucking move at the start of the match when he's so "hyped" instead of standing there and letting his opponent take it to him.

Alternatively, he could start playing up a "poor cardio" gimmick as a rib on Batista.

Few things. 

1. The most NXT is being pushed, the less I have been watching it. I don't know if that is on purpose or because life is getting busier. I don't know. I need to catch up. 2 weeks behind.

2. I wish WWE would have used Summer Rae's NXT Theme on the main roster. Oh well.

3. Does Rusev win the Andre Rumble this Sunday?

There's betting on worked sports entertainment events?

Degenerate gamblers will gamble on damn near anything.  I knew a guy who at the beginning of every year would bet hundreds of dollars on who would die in the next year bets.  He got fired from a major retailer for stealing Hot Wheels...he spent hundreds gambling on people dying and stole toys that cost about a dollar a piece.  Don't be surprised about any human behavior, especially gambling.

I know people don't seem to like him very much but that Graves/Zayn match was great tonight. NXT is absolutely worth the price of the Network all on it's own. Such a great, great hour of wrestling every week.

I think I like every wrestler I've seen on NXT with the exception of Mojo Rawley.

• Like 1

I liked Zayn's wobbly-legged selling, and Graves had that chinlock working and cranked in there at one point, which looked nice. Solid, logical match. 

I also enjoyed Brodus' powerbomb ---> fat man splash finishing combo tonight.