DVDVR Message Board

Design your dream game that will never, ever happen in real life...

Big Fresh

I want a game like Star Wars Battlefront with GI Joe. There's no way I'm the only one who wants to be running along shooting lasers at a squad of BATs until I can get a chance to hop into a Havoc and assault the Terrordrome.

There is no way that this game would fail to rule. 

I want to see how Tom Clancy's The Division handles on new-gen because I also think that would be a kick-ass engine to run GI Joe multiplayer on.

A Grand Theft Auto game set in the 40's-50's, with an optional black and white background. Turn down the crazy, turn up the gritty.

After the awesome of 80s stuff in 'Vice City', I've been wanting various GTA games set in other eras: 70s with muscle cars and disco; 60s with hippies and drugs; 50s with early rock 'n roll and drag races; all the way back to the 40s.  I've also wanted them to have GTA games all over the globe: one in Japan would be incredible fighting Yakuza; another in Russia; London with double-deckers and Mr. Bean cars and Italy with Italian Job-inspired missions and racing.

In short: A. I.   No, not the Spielberg movie, I mean actual sentient machines.  I want a game that programs itself and where nobody knows what's really going to happen next.  No, roguelikes and whatnot don't count, I mean something WAY bigger and more ambitious.  Like a self-customizing version of Elder Scrolls that adapted TO you as you played it.  (Or, basically, the adventure video game from Ender's Game that all the kids are forced to play.)  

A good wrestling game

holy shit this

How about a Borderlands type game that allows you to switch from guns, to swords, to magic, to whatever.  Have the same sense of humor, but I would make it so that a squad of four would be mandatory.  You can play it alone, but you can switch from character to character.  The four characters powers would be much more complimentary, so that the game would be much more focused on teamwork.  I would also make all of the different sections to be completely different gameplay wise.  There would be some levels that have puzzles to solve, others ould be like a hoard mode, and some could be a squad based shooter like X-Com. 

You pretty much described the next-gen game that we Shadowrun RPG fans have been waiting for.  That game has the single coolest pen-and-paper role playing world I've ever seen, and we got good games out of it on the SNES and especially Genesis; but the XBox reboot was a pathetic failure, despised by hardcores and casuals alike.  Done RIGHT, it could be Skyrim meets Borderlands plus GTA and .hack all in the same game together.

A Grand Theft Auto game set in the 40's-50's, with an optional black and white background. Turn down the crazy, turn up the gritty.

After the awesome of 80s stuff in 'Vice City', I've been wanting various GTA games set in other eras: 70s with muscle cars and disco; 60s with hippies and drugs; 50s with early rock 'n roll and drag races; all the way back to the 40s.  I've also wanted them to have GTA games all over the globe: one in Japan would be incredible fighting Yakuza; another in Russia; London with double-deckers and Mr. Bean cars and Italy with Italian Job-inspired missions and racing.

A game where you can run over hippies and potheads for hours? Sounds awesome! Or maybe the next GTA can just be an analogue of present-day Denver.

We also need a "rednecks chasing Burt Reynolds in a hot rod full of moonshine" setting as well.  No reason why rural people can't steal cars too.  And of course a Prohibition-era one set in Chicago.  Heck, why not one in some crime-ridden urban hellhole in a third world country?  

Am I the only one who drank beers and played hours upon hours of Fusion Frenzy with their friends on the original Xbox.  Then Fusion Frenzy 2 came out and it was basically the single most annoying game in the history of the world.  It had some stupid gameshow host guy who is pictured below.  The first one was simple, and fun and was basically a combination of Mario Party and Super Smash Bros.  Xbox dropped the ball on this one, and hopefully we get another one like the original.

251035.png

Battle Royale. 72 hour time limit ala Dead Rising but with randomised worlds, randomised weapons, randomised combatants (from a pool of however many you want to name), you have your wits about you and have to survive. If you explore, you can find all sorts of crazy shit on the island, form partnerships with friendly AI or run afoul of the hostile ones or you can camp up in the lighthouse with your gun and only move when you're forced. Try to attack the HQ like the movie or just survive and be like the girl with the teddy bear at the start, I don't care, it's your game, brother.

Then have the option to do that online and play it all out with real people. Somehow.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who drank beers and played hours upon hours of Fusion Frenzy with their friends on the original Xbox. Then Fusion Frenzy 2 came out and it was basically the single most annoying game in the history of the world. It had some stupid gameshow host guy who is pictured below. The first one was simple, and fun and was basically a combination of Mario Party and Super Smash Bros. Xbox dropped the ball on this one, and hopefully we get another one like the original.

251035.png

The one mini game where you're all in balls tryin to knock each other off the platform was played for hours between me and my buddies.

I want a Daredevil game that is half open world and mission based like Assassin's Creed but in NYC, and half a lawyer game like Phoenix Wright where you have to get defend your clients. Also it needs to be decidedly not gritty, and very Golden Age-esque. In a perfect world, Bob Gale would write it. 

I also want an Action RPG based on Fallen Angel by Peter David. 

• Like 2

Battle Royale. 72 hour time limit ala Dead Rising but with randomised worlds, randomised weapons, randomised combatants (from a pool of however many you want to name), you have your wits about you and have to survive. If you explore, you can find all sorts of crazy shit on the island, form partnerships with friendly AI or run afoul of the hostile ones or you can camp up in the lighthouse with your gun and only move when you're forced. Try to attack the HQ like the movie or just survive and be like the girl with the teddy bear at the start, I don't care, it's your game, brother.

Then have the option to do that online and play it all out with real people. Somehow.

I pitched this almost exact idea to a guy who claimed to know how to make videogames and he was a bitch about it and said it was too hard for him to make.

Fuck it, I bet MDickie could make this work.

I want a Daredevil game that is half open world and mission based like Assassin's Creed but in NYC, and half a lawyer game like Phoenix Wright where you have to get defend your clients. Also it needs to be decidedly not gritty, and very Golden Age-esque. In a perfect world, Bob Gale would write it.

Fuck yes.

Take the KOTOR / Dragon Age: Origins / Star Ocean style freeform combat engine and put it in a Skies of Arcadia sequel.

Turn based RPG combat is forever dead to me.

Humorously, I knew I wouldn't be the first to suggest some sort of Skies sequel here. I also knew it was likely to be you who did. Just a matter of who saw this first.

Open world zombie survival game that takes place in a realistic world.  Like if I smash a car through a locked store's windows I want to go back to that store 3 days later and it's still smashed and zombies have gotten in.  Or like you can find a shovel and dig a hole and cover it with a tarp as a zombie trap.  Plus all the npc's act realistically and have personalities and lives.  The game only ends when you die.

Open world zombie survival game that takes place in a realistic world.  Like if I smash a car through a locked store's windows I want to go back to that store 3 days later and it's still smashed and zombies have gotten in.  Or like you can find a shovel and dig a hole and cover it with a tarp as a zombie trap.  Plus all the npc's act realistically and have personalities and lives.  The game only ends when you die.

If I was to make a serious proposal, I made one a lot like this on the old board.

Basically an open world GTA-style game, but with a zombie theme. When the game starts stuff would be more or less normal. But the "infection" could spread in real time within the game. The percentage of people and zombies could be dynamic. World should dynamically change over time. Shit should be breakable. Hell it could even be rebuildable. You could easily give people the option of "switching sides" by inventing some green goo nonsense you can inject into zombies to make them people again (I stole that idea from an online browser based zombie game). In theory you could run one game world as long as it seemed entertaining to the player.

City could be different every time. There have been plenty of simpler games graphically like Diablo/Path of Exile with random maps. Let's bring that to sandbox. Make every one of your zombie cities unique. I want unique and dynamic. Everyone's game could be a little different. Would work fine as single player or the giant online experience. You could have a DVDVR city that went on however long people felt like it.

Have it on some island/block off all the bridges if you need some excuse for why the world is cut off. Have this silly nefarious plot about how zombies got started because of a government experiment to make invincible soldiers gone wrong (I figure government experiment on prisoners, nice creepy Resident Evil style messed up abandoned prison for the end of the "missons"). Have army fly-ins on choppers or runs into the city on heavy trucks as an "excuse" about how more weapons keep getting into the game world. Shit is all pretty convenient but passes the video game logic test.

The whole project was co-funded by a mysterious reclusive billionaire who may be working with the US government, of which only one known photo exists:

roy_orbison1.jpg

Any resemblance to Roy Orbison is purely coincidental.

With what current processors are doing, there's nothing in that which seems at all out of reach.

I would play this. And so would a lot of other people.

• Like 1

To piggyback off of what Troma and Rev threw out there, I want Volition making a wrestling game. A good friend of mine was actually a developer on Saints Row 3 and 4, maybe I should say something to him since he's a huge fan of good wrestling games.

And I just asked him on Facebook what it would take. We shall see what happens.

And goddammit, I want a Smash Brothers game that isn't side scrolling like past shitty Smash Brothers games. Basically, I want an updated Power Stone, but just fucking call it Smash Brothers: Good Version. Or fuck it, I just want a new Power Stone game. It doesn't need any kind of license. How in the hell with everything that has come out on PSN, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam have we not had a new Power Stone?

To piggy back off of what I mentioned earlier, my buddy and two others at Volition (the creative director and lead art designer) are big wrestling fans. Sadly, I don't think I have any sway, but he thinks 2K is going to bring the next WWE game in house and ditch Yukes. So there's that, which is nice.

To piggy back off of what I mentioned earlier, my buddy and two others at Volition (the creative director and lead art designer) are big wrestling fans. Sadly, I don't think I have any sway, but he thinks 2K is going to bring the next WWE game in house and ditch Yukes. So there's that, which is nice.

Tell him to tell them to do a proper Dominator.

Will do.

He did say that they should just do a downloadable FPW update, which would be all kinds of awesome.

Man, as cool as FPW would be on newer systems as downloadables, it would be incredible on Steam.

The idea is to have extremely realistic rendering of some long country roads and a town. Then you add in super shitty weather and hazards like deer and construction crews. Then randomize it and make it so you start driving and it's normal and then the shit starts getting worse. Make it so you have to last a certain amount of time. Have a realism slider so you can crank the weirdness up and have 40 deer running across the road in a snownado. This is for that oculus rift vr headset. If you play it with that and a force feedback wheel you'll have nightmares for the rest of your life. Surdrival horror. I want that shit where it's super cold out and you get that smoky road shit going on. Have challenges where you have to pass around some cottonfootin' bastard that's slowing you down. Can you tell I've been driving in a bunch of shitty fucking weather lately?

Or y'know, maybe someone could just rip off Fire Pro and have it on PC with a complete creative suite. Have handheld versions too. Get some sort of account system in place so you can have saves that work across all versions.

• Like 1

And goddammit, I want a Smash Brothers game that isn't side scrolling like past shitty Smash Brothers games. Basically, I want an updated Power Stone, but just fucking call it Smash Brothers: Good Version. Or fuck it, I just want a new Power Stone game. It doesn't need any kind of license. How in the hell with everything that has come out on PSN, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam have we not had a new Power Stone?

The fact that Power Stone wasn't isn't a huge franchise is a crime.  If that game was put on any console that wasn't the Dreamcast, we'd have a new one every single year.