DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game v.48

Dolfan in NYC

The game will be officiated under Peyton rules so expect Seattle's defense to get called for a ton of penalties.

Maybe, but Seattle has their own set of rules. That secondary commits a penalty just about every play. They know the refs will only throw so many flags.

From the Reskins game in the playoffs last year:

Ref: "If you keep playing like that you're looking at a lot of flags today."

Sherman: "Go ahead and throw it then."

The game will be officiated under Peyton rules so expect Seattle's defense to get called for a ton of penalties.

Maybe, but Seattle has their own set of rules. That secondary commits a penalty just about every play. They know the refs will only throw so many flags.

From the Reskins game in the playoffs last year:

Ref: "If you keep playing like that you're looking at a lot of flags today."

Sherman: "Go ahead and throw it then."

All it takes to change the game are one or two of those vintage Peyton throws it down field and gets a mystery pass interference calls.

The NFL has come out and said that Wes Welker's hit on Aqib Talib was not only not worthy of a suspension but that it wasn't a penalty at all.  They say that the ball was touched simultaneous to Welker's contact with Talib, thus making it not pass interference.  Let's just say I disagree with them.

It's not strange at all.  If Sherman wasn't there, it's a touchdown.  Sure it was underthrown and ultimiately it's Kap's fault and not Crabree's at all but he didn't have a chance to make a play on the ball because Sherman was there.  So there you go. 

I guess you could say that but in my view any corner would have been there. It wasn't a miraculous play, it was a simple pass deflection and the real hero was the linebacker for being in a position to make a catch off a tipped ball which was far more difficult. Sherman decided to make it all about himself when in fact if it wasn't for the linebacker... it's second down.

Can Rippa really bear to watch a game played at MetLife where the Giants are not on the field?  WE SHALL SEE~!

Like a Jets game?

Wasn't really what I was going for but yeah, my bad on the logistics.

No one can bear to watch those.

This.

It's not strange at all.  If Sherman wasn't there, it's a touchdown.  Sure it was underthrown and ultimiately it's Kap's fault and not Crabree's at all but he didn't have a chance to make a play on the ball because Sherman was there.  So there you go. 

I guess you could say that but in my view any corner would have been there. It wasn't a miraculous play, it was a simple pass deflection and the real hero was the linebacker for being in a position to make a catch off a tipped ball which was far more difficult. Sherman decided to make it all about himself when in fact if it wasn't for the linebacker... it's second down.

I think that's a bit of a disservice to Sherman.  It was a great play.  He was in perfect coverage on Crabree and made a great play on the ball.  How many times do you see a ball go right through a defenders hands and caught by the receiver.  Happens all the time.  It didn't there.  Sherman was where he was supposed to be and made the play.   

I agree that it was a good play but it was definitely underthrown and I feel like Malcolm Smith deserves just as much credit for being in a position to make the catch off the deflection. Nobody mentions his name at all. If he's not there, it's 2nd down. Just a terrible decision by Kaepernick all around. It's first down at the 18 with two timeouts...  no reason at all to try to find the back corner of the end zone. He made some crazy plays throughout the game to put the Niners in a position to win so I'm not putting the loss on him entirely. A couple areas need improvement though. I laugh at people saying Alex Smith would have won the game.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Alex Smith would have won the game but I don't know that it would be an automatic for me to take Kap over Smith.  Sure Kap has a stronger arm and can run but running will only get you so far and I'm not really sold on him as a passer.  When I look at Alex Smith obviously I don't see Manning or Brady but to me he looks like a guy that you can win with.  I don't think he hurts you.  I think Kap can be a liability.    

Alex can put up numbers on average and below average defenses (New Orleans in '11, Indy in '13) and the popular term "manage the game" but I don't believe he can go WIN the game against a top defense or win a big game in a hostile environment. Every time he played the Giants he was a huge liability..not just because he was making mistakes but because he was checking down for two yards and the offense went nowhere.

I don't think Alex moves the ball against Seattle at all. I don't think he leads the comeback against Atlanta in the Georgia Dome. I don't think he wins two playoff games against Aaron Rodgers. He's become a very solid QB but I believe his ceiling has been reached. Kaep has started 23 regular season games so he has time. He needs to learn the balance between playmaker and making the correct decision in a given scenario.

Alex can put up numbers on average and below average defenses (New Orleans in '11, Indy in '13) and the popular term "manage the game" but I don't believe he can go WIN the game against a top defense or win a big game in a hostile environment. Every time he played the Giants he was a huge liability..not just because he was making mistakes but because he was checking down for two yards and the offense went nowhere.

I don't think Alex moves the ball against Seattle at all. I don't think he leads the comeback against Atlanta in the Georgia Dome. I don't think he wins two playoff games against Aaron Rodgers. He's become a very solid QB but I believe his ceiling has been reached. Kaep has started 23 regular season games so he has time. He needs to learn the balance between playmaker and making the correct decision in a given scenario.

You're throwing these wins out there that the 49ers have with Kaepernick as if he didn't have the defense doing the majority of the work.  Kaepernick didn't beat Aaron Rogers, that's ridiculous.  The defense held Aaron Rogers to 20pts and Kaepernick and the offense put up 23 on what is a pretty average to mediocre defense.  I for sure think that Alex Smith could lead an offense to 23pts on that defense.