DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

How dare you sully the beautiful and talented Jennifer Garner with such a comment.

The joke is supposed to be "How dare you sully the beautiful and talented Geena Davis with such a comment!"

• Like 1

Shit, I should have just condensed this into one comment, but every time I see a preview for Draft Day, I cringe. It looks like a sports movie made by people with no understanding of sports. The best comparison I can make is any time DeNiro or whoever talks about the Iggles in Silver Linings Playbook. It seems so forced and fake. Draft Day looks a lot like that, except that's over the course of an entire movie. The referencing of Twitter may be the biggest cringe inducing moment I've experienced this year. I felt so embarrassed. It's like every time my mom comments on a Facebook post of mine.

• Like 1

Shit, I should have just condensed this into one comment, but every time I see a preview for Draft Day, I cringe. It looks like a sports movie made by people with no understanding of sports. The best comparison I can make is any time DeNiro or whoever talks about the Iggles in Silver Linings Playbook. It seems so forced and fake. Draft Day looks a lot like that, except that's over the course of an entire movie. The referencing of Twitter may be the biggest cringe inducing moment I've experienced this year. I felt so embarrassed. It's like every time my mom comments on a Facebook post of mine.

Every single line of dialog in that trailer was hilariously stupid.

"We have the No. 1 pick in the draft.  I really want you to make a splash with it."

Oh...okay.  I was going to try and fly under the radar and pick someone from a small two-year collWHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN "MAKE A SPLASH????? FUCK YOU???????"

The thing about MONEYBALL that made is watchable for me was how insecure they allowed Billy Beane to seem.  As predictable as the structure of that movie was, or how much you may have already known what happened with the team that year, they sold it in a way that convinced you to feel unsure of things because the whole time he looked like he was half bluffing...and more often than not showed you guys failing rather than succeeding (which was a bit of a cheat, but it worked).

This has that smug slightly Aaron Sorkinesque quality where you are 100% sure the "good guys" are 100% right and you're supposed to be nodding along with them the whole time. 

Like, the deck is stacked against Kevin Costner in this movie the way it's stacked against John Cena.

And Chris Berman's voice overs sound like the voice over for "the big game" in, like DODGEBALL.  Which is basically what this movie is.  It's DODGEBALL minus any humor.

You know, the first time I saw the commercial, it was in a bar with no sound on the tv, and it looked like it could be a pretty good movie.  Then when I saw it again later somewhere else with the sound on... ugh.  And I think that's right in line with what you guys are saying.

I just watched Moneyball again recently and I think it really holds up. Pitt plays the Beane role in an understated way, almost like he's a total pessimist throughout, and he does an excellent job.

Draft Day looks like it's as much of a shit sandwich as Trouble with the Curve.

Fucking Trouble with the Curve. Ugh, another movie written by dudes who watch 5 minutes of baseball, or maybe they watched a lot of baseball, but had no clue for how to translate that into a movie.

Well there was that period when she was trying to make the US Olympics team in Archery

Then she moved into TV work - I mean she did win an Golden Globe for Commander in Chief

Absolute peak Davis was SARA her first starring sitcom vehicle that also had Alfre Woodard, Bill Maher, Bronson Pinchot, and Jack from BOY MEETS WORLD when he was, like, 5.

I remember freaking out as a kid because that super hot lady who was Karen the maid from a few episodes of FAMILY TIES was getting her own show.  This was something I took serious note of and I tuned in like it was election night or something.

Yeah.  I was pretty much Bobby Hill in 1985.

• Like 1

Geena Davis is an actress who seemed to fall off the face of the earth fairly quickly.  She was doing big movies like Thelma & Louise, A League of Their Own, The Last Kiss Goodnight, etc. then to never be seen in any movies for a long time.

Pretty sure Meryl Streep is the only fifty-something woman allowed to get regular gigs in Hollywood.

I just watched Moneyball again recently and I think it really holds up. Pitt plays the Beane role in an understated way, almost like he's a total pessimist throughout, and he does an excellent job.

Fucking Trouble with the Curve. Ugh, another movie written by dudes who watch 5 minutes of baseball, or maybe they watched a lot of baseball, but had no clue for how to translate that into a movie.

Trouble With the Curve was completely inoffensive and mundane in every way, except for having scorching hot Amy Adams in it.

Draft Day sounds actively bad.

Trouble With the Curve was completely inoffensive and mundane in every way, except for having scorching hot Amy Adams in it.

Tabedoza rating: 6.92243

Tabedoza rating: a shockingly low 6.6

Added the numbers for you.

Good call on Amy Adams.

F'n Draft Day. UGH...