DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

Kiltschko fighting Pulev, who is from Bulgaria, which is practically Russia right?

Edit. Pulev got crushed.

Does Briggs beat Klitschko?

Vitali Klitschko nearly killed Briggs.  Wladimir might finish the job.  If Briggs fought someone that has the ability to punch back and won then maybe and thats a big maybe he would deserve a crack but even in a cruddy Heavyweight division Shannon is way back in line

Shannon Briggs has 6 wins in 2014 with 5 first round knockouts. His 5 first round KOs came vs guys averaging a record of 15-8. He beat Raphael Zumbano Love (not even the best Brazilian heavyweight) by decision. This killing spree inflicted on random dudes has elevated Briggs to #54 in BoxRec, and presumably much higher in a heavyweight division that books itself like a legends-based indy promotion (but think an indy fed booking Chuck Palumbo and Disco Inferno as main eventers).

But the following old guys are ranked ahead of Briggs: Antonio Tarver and Fres Oquendo. But Briggs ranks ahead of Michael Grant, Oliver McCall, Ray Austin, Monte Barrett, and Hasim Rahman

The top 25 of active Heavyweights on BoxRec: Klitschko, Povetkin, Pulev, Bermane Stiverne, Vyacheslav Glazkov, Dereck Chisora, Bryant Jennings, Odlanier Solis, Deontay Wilder, Christian Hammer / Steve Cunningham, Tyson Fury, Carlos Takam, Andy Ruiz Jr, Erkan Teper, Mike Perez, Artur Szpilka, Chris Arreola, Lucas Browne, Ruslan Chagaev / Manuel Charr, Tomasz Adamek, Malik Scott, Anthony Joshua and Tony Thompson

The highest ranked heavyweight who isn't in his 30s is Wilder (#9). 7 of the 25 Heavyweights are in their 20s, 17 of 25 are in their 30s, and Tony Thompson is 43. 8 of the 25 are undefeated (19-0 Glazkov, 32-0 Wilder, 22-0 Fury, 23-0 Ruiz, 13-0 Teper, 22-0 Browne and 9-0 Joshua).

Stiverne is the WBC Champion since Vitali is an elected official now. He might fight Wilder some day or he might get crushed by Wladimir for fun. Stiverne is represented by model citizen Don King.

Chisora is fighting Tyson Fury on the 29th.

Andy Ruiz, Arreola and Joshua have fights scheduled. Joshua is an Olympic Gold Medalist at Super-Heavy.

Name the WBA Non-Super HW Champ? Ruslan Chagaev, who beat... Fres Oquendo for the belt in Grozny. Presumably John Ruiz was unavailable. Povetkin was the non-Super champ until he lost to Wladimir, who is the IBF (8 years), WBO (6 years), and WBA Super (3 years) champ. Wladimir Klitschko is the 2nd longest reigning heavyweight title holder ever.

So anyways... Shannon Briggs is probably fighting Chagaev for the Regular title in the Crimea soon.

Better watch out. Oquendo is claiming they didn't pay him after the Chagaev fight those Crimean criminals

I, for one, am stunned that at boxing card held in Chechnya was not entirely on the up and up.

Im sure Hbo will make Klitschko fight some type of American fighter next. Dan Raphael figures Bryant Jennings

"Bermane Stiverne is an American" - Don King

WTF? OLIVER MCCALL IS STILL AROUND?!?!

and McCall tapped into the lucrative industry of "boxing Europeans in Germany and Poland". 

Can someone spring Ike Ibaeabuchi from his ICE detention center? How is David Tua not fighting? Where is Chris Byrd?

i'm sure we can find a country with a lax enough boxing commission to let Ibeabuchi fight there whenever he's deported back to Nigeria. Maybe some Russian puppet state will host Ike Ibeabuchi fights in North Ossetia or Transnistria or Ike might know somebody in the Northwest Tribal Region of Pakistan. Heck, Mexico hosted a Tommy Morrison fight in 2008. I'd imagine there's enough bribeable officials in Mexico or the Caribbean to get Ibeabuchi work once he leaves limbo.

Or they could go for maximum sleaze and have Ibeabuchi box on a card benefiting Ebola victims where the promoter pockets all the money

Turns out that Mickey Rourke fight was probably fixed. And that he defeated a homeless person 

maybe Putin will bankroll a movie adaption of the Bumfights videos starring Mickey Rourke as Rufus

Personally, I would have been stunned if that fight wasn't fixed. The homeless guy is the cherry on top though. . . 

• 2 weeks later...

So for the first time, Mayweather publicly said he wants to fight Pacquiao, which I read as him finally convincing Manny to take less money for the fight.  Still don't fully believe the fight will happen, but Manny has been very vocal lately about wanting the fight.  Bob Arum is still the person holding this back the most though.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Some good fights this weekend but terrible judging. 

Herrera was robbed, Bradley got a raw deal as well.  Andy Lee, though, has dynamite in that right hand.  Great moment and post-match interview talking about Steward. 

Some good fights this weekend but terrible judging. 

Herrera was robbed, Bradley got a raw deal as well.  Andy Lee, though, has dynamite in that right hand.  Great moment and post-match interview talking about Steward. 

I'm not sure what the judges were watching in the Herrera bout and with Bradley I was more surprised at how far apart the judges had the scoring for Bradley.  I thought Chavez won a lot more rounds late when he used the jab more, I think he would have had to win almost every round from the fifth/sixth on to win and I don't feel he did that.