DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: CHRIS ADAMS

RIPPA

I remember watching a lot of Chris in World Class.

Him and Gino tearing it up as the Dynamic Duo.  I remember the feud with the wives between him and Austin and them bringing the feud between him and Taylor down to Texas.

Two things I heard about but I don't think I ever saw:

- The interview with him from California where he was the babyface explaining that luchador Scorpio was actually one of the ugliest people on the planet.

- Him ripping the hairplugs out of Rod Price's head

I really, really love 1984 Mid South. This is way more of an Adrian Street showcase, admittedly, but Adams plays his role well, selling both Street's antics and his ring work and presenting the sort of intensity that the Irish McNeill Boys Club crowd would almost always get behind. The spot ending in the superkick was awesome. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7nbp5J6aeo

Had some great matches with Dynamite Kid in the NW. I seem to recall him losing a "loser leaves town" match prior to his advent in WCCW. I could be wrong, that was a long time ago... I do recall people actually thought that silly "super kick" was a for real devastating blow. (Ignoring the fact that he missed half the time.)

I want Austin to discuss the adams/toni vs austin/jeannie feud on the pod, but im not sure what his relationship is like with the former mrs austin.

One of my favorite spots is when toni covered a prone adams to protect him from a top rope austin splash ans he just jumped anyway and squashed them both.

Terry Gordy was KING when it came to selling the Superkick. The thing about the Superkick early on was, he'd miss his mark with it when he really started using it a a finisher but the time around the time of Gino's death he really had the damn over as a killer move and would usually get a guy clean on the chin, or at least on a body partthat would later become a focal point of selling during a match. There is a na early Adams match, with his buzzed head against Gordy where he Gordy's arm. Its a botch as you can tell Adams didn't have the reach on or timing down yet but Gordy sold it like his arm went numb for a few seconds and ten adams worked the arm. Later in the match Adams hits the Superkick clean on Gordy's chin and Gordy takes an over the top bump as only Gordy can

James

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hRq8tcugFs

The lost Chris Adams classic.  The question:  Who throws better punches- Chris motherfucking Adams or Cowboy Bob motherfucking Orton Jr?  The winner?  Every wrestling fan.

-----------------

BONUS AWF CHRIS ADAMS:  any excuse to showcase the awesomeness of Greg the Hammer Valentine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH3443WMn1A

The holy grail for me as far as tape trading is concerned is finding the Adams title win in WCCW over Rick Rude, I know its out there as it used to be on youtube.... I personally enjoyed Chris's work in WCCW & felt he could have been used wayyyyy better in WCW

I was a huge Chris Adams mark in high school. I remember watching his heel run every Saturday morning during our Bowling league. I should look for some old pictures of the mullet I used to sport like his.

Couldn't find any larger scans but this was one of my favorite pictures of him hitting the Superkick:

21434aa.jpg