DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2024 - March/April 2024

RIPPA

I can believe this.  I’ve met a number of pro ball players over the years who paid very little attention to their money so long as they had spending cash, and the people they trusted to manage their finances were either corrupt or inept. Kevin Durant’s accountant embezzled $70 million over a couple years. Charles Barkley lost a good chunk of his early fortune because his financial advisor made dumbass investments in things like earthworm farms (Barkley had no idea where his money was going until much later)

meanwhile the Royals won every game on a 7 game home stand (their first 7 home games after the question to move to a new stadium went down, so partisans of both sides can interpret that to mean something it doesn't)

the Astros starter today was the first time a starting pitcher gave up 11 hits and didn't get 3 outs

On 4/11/2024 at 2:17 PM, madl said:

I can believe this.  I’ve met a number of pro ball players over the years who paid very little attention to their money so long as they had spending cash, and the people they trusted to manage their finances were either corrupt or inept. Kevin Durant’s accountant embezzled $70 million over a couple years. Charles Barkley lost a good chunk of his early fortune because his financial advisor made dumbass investments in things like earthworm farms (Barkley had no idea where his money was going until much later)

A lot of people think the only reason Kareem played twenty years and well into his forties was that his manager stole damn near all the money he made in the 70's.

yeah I figure that past a certain level, you're not necessarily getting printed bank statements like the more ordinary people

(and you're probably not putting all of your money in one bank if you're really rich)

18 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Reveal hidden contents

4ScDYh.gif

(Also...yes, I would have one)

20 years ago I'd take a shot.

Now, I can hear my aneurysm bursting after just one bite. 

However bad of a day you had today, Tigers third baseman Zach McKinstry probably had a worse one.

Trailing 5-4 in the 12th, he committed an error that resulted in three runs. 

Then because his manager forgot that the pitching coach had already made a mound visit, and because it was the 12th inning of the first game of a double header, McKinstry wound up on the mound moments later. He proceeded to walk a batter and then serve up a three run homer. He basically was personally responsible for six runs allowed in the 12th.

Detroit lost 11-5.

Andrew McCutchen finally hit his 300th career HR pretty much ensuring he will retire at season's end

He is the 4th player to do it as a Pirate

And for today's niche stat - he becomes the 13th player ever to reach the follow totals

• 2000 Hits
  • 400 Doubles
  • 45 Triples
  • 300 HRs
  • 200 Stolen Bases

And only 15 years past when he should have.  

I'm so happy for Phil, Eddie, and basically anyone in the NYC metro area that's ever had to listen to John Sterling call a baseball game.  

(Except you Suzyn Waldman.)

• Haha 1

Its been coming, he's only called 2 series this season so far.  It's been weird not hearing him call games anymore,  but I'm sure we'll get used to it.

Ken Holtzman passed away at the age of 78

He actually holds the MLB record for most wins (174) by a Jewish pitcher. I figure most people just assumed that record belonged to Sandy Koufax

6 hours ago, dogwelder said:

RIP Whitey Herzog at the age of 92

I really get the small town vibes from the people tweeting about how Whitey Herzog used to live near them and he came into the store to buy buttermilk (this being in a suburb of 100k+ people). Same sort of dynamic happens with Derrick Thomas stories.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Also RIP Carl Erskine, one of the remaining Brooklyn Dodgers. 

He was also the last living member of the "Boys of Summer" 

EDIT - I should also note that there are now only 5 players left who played for Brooklyn

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

"He avoided the tag."

lol stfu Michael

With Sterling retiring, the position of "make ricidulous PBP calls on Yankees Broadcasts" is open and Rucco and Flash don't have the longevity yet.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

"He avoided the tag."

lol stfu Michael

Good lord, the effort on that play was ridiculous. And to not get the tag...... 

In what must have been Rob Manfred's wet dream - the Cleveland/Boston game took 1 hour, 49 minutes to complete

It is the fastest 9 inning game since June 2010 (which was ironically Armando Galarraga's near-perfect game)

Tanner Houck threw Boston's first complete game shutout at Fenway in seven years

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

In what must have been Rob Manfred's wet dream - the Cleveland/Boston game took 1 hour, 49 minutes to complete

It is the fastest 9 inning game since June 2010 (which was ironically Armando Galarraga's near-perfect game)

Tanner Houck threw Boston's first complete game shutout at Fenway in seven years

Not just a CG, but a Maddux CG.