DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2024 - March/April 2024

RIPPA

Two games have already been postponed

Brewers/Mets

Braves/Phillies

Both games will now be played on Friday

Dodgers extend catcher Will Smith for 10 years (yes a catcher for 10 years)

$140 million with no opt outs

Because of course as LA is now want to do - there is deferred money. $5 million every year is deferred and will be paid out from 2034 to 2043

The 10 years for a catcher is the longest ever (longest was 8 years as far as anyone can tell)

Buys out the last two arb years but have fun figuring out where to play him in 3 or 4 years

11 minutes ago, Tabe said:

He turned 29 today. I don't understand giving him 10 years. 

It appears to be - and this is just what I have read so take it with a grain of salt - it was solely done to fuck around with the luxury tax

Because length knocks down the AAV and that is a key component to the competitive balance tax

The Dodgers have committed to Smith for a longer term than any of those deals and later into his career. But in doing so, it seems they were able to compromise in terms of the average annual value and competitive balance tax hit, which is based on AAV. Smith’s AAV will be just $14MM before accounting for deferrals, which lower the present-day value of the deal to $12.2MM. Mauer got a guarantee of $184MM and a $23MM AAV back in 2010. Posey got $166.5MM and a $20.8MM AAV in 2023. Martin’s five-year deal came with an $82MM guarantee and $16.4MM AAV back in 2014.

That is not to suggest that Smith is as good as those players, merely to point out that the guarantee isn’t as unprecedented as the length. While the ten-year span is a new record for catchers, there are 13 deals with higher AAVs listed on the Contract Tracker.

So as you can see - they actually lowered Smith's current hit on the CBT for this year and next

Mike Trout smashed a homer in his first AB to give the Angels a 1-0 lead.

No other starter had a hit as Baltimore won 11-3.

• Like 1

The D-Backs dropped 14 on the Rockies in the third inning

Most franchise has scored in an inning and the most runs scored in an inning on opening day since 1900

16 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Mike Trout smashed a homer in his first AB to give the Angels a 1-0 lead.

No other starter had a hit as Baltimore won 11-3.

I had a feeling Mike would get a run before the game started so wasn't surprised by that one.  It would have been 11-1 but they put in Tate who needed experience after being out all season.  But it was a fun win.

Also, David Rubenstein is showing tons of promise as the new owner.  They had him on for about the first three innings and he not only said the right things but seemed pretty sincere doing so.  I feel a lot more optimistic about the Orioles's future than I ever did with either of the Angelos's before.  Will that lead to a World Series win?  Honestly I'm hopeful for this season but do try to be realistic so maybe not.  But the building blocks to it will at least be further strengthened and that's good for me.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

CBS Sports noted the "announced attendance"  (their quotation marks) in Oakland was 13,522.  

Yikes.

Included in that number all the season tickets that have been cancelled since the announced intention to relocate that the A's are not putting back on sale (presumably so they can count them as "sold" for the above purpose).  Funny, you'd think they want to put out honest low numbers to continue to rationalize sabotaging moving the team.

Guess they don't want to admit the Opening Day [more conventional] Boycott out drew the actual game, despite Fisher & Kaval trying to throttle that number as well by not opening the parking lot gates until an hour before game time (it's usually 4 hours)

Despite Fisher/Manfred's best efforts to kill the territory and proclaim it dead The Oakland Territory Is Not Dead, merely in wont of a competent promoter operating in good faith.

• Like 1

1) I think a certain amount of the "Royals, dark horse contenders in the AL Central" talk is more about writers being bored and deciding the team that made some movezzz could do something. The problem is that most of the Royals moves came with pitching, and combining last years offense with Hunter Renfroe/Adam Frazier wasn't exactly gonna lead to a dramatic change there. Which is to say the Royals lost 4-1 and their one run was a leadoff homer.

1b) the Royals making moves might be sorta connected to trying to win the vote next Tuesday that'll open the door to moving from their current stadium to downtown KCMO

2) also Rhys Hoskins and Jeff McNeil got into it after a slide into 2nd today. Benches cleared. Hoskins made a "crybaby" gesture at McNeil.

• Like 1

Phuck the bitch ass punk ass bitch ass Phils. For the A, motherfuckers. Yes I took the day off. Yes I’ve had 7 margaronas. What the fuck is it to you? A-Town with your bitch asses, motherfuckers. 

Fuck you.

(Not really. I love you all.)

• Like 2

On 3/28/2024 at 3:29 PM, RIPPA said:

It appears to be - and this is just what I have read so take it with a grain of salt - it was solely done to fuck around with the luxury tax

Because length knocks down the AAV and that is a key component to the competitive balance tax

So as you can see - they actually lowered Smith's current hit on the CBT for this year and next

Can't express how much I hate this, the Dodgers now have $915.5M in deferred payments. Doing these tactics to "get around" or minimally manipulate the tax shouldn't be allowed as not all teams have the means to defer payments like that into an escrow account. It was allowed/ignored before as teams (if they did it) were deferring smaller amounts or not out to 2044 like the Dodgers have. I wonder if LA thinks the loophole will be closed now that they've exploited it so they are signing as many people as they can using it. By closed I mean, the next CBA could have it set so team can still defer payments but the luxury tax amount isn't impacted and all that matters is the AAV regardless of deferments for the length of the contract. I assume that's possible anyway.

I don't have an issue with adding years to get the AAV down, that seems like smart business in a twisted way, but all those deferred payments they are doing just feels icky.

24 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The fact that it's the Yankees doing it too...  jeez.

seriously, what good is it even having the Yankees be The Yankees if they're not even going to be so full of themselves as to consider this shit beneath them?

• Like 1

today in baseball: Rhys Hoskins knocks in 4 runs vs the Mets and then a Mets reliever throws behind Hoskins and gets ejected.

also, the pitcher ran to cover the plate just in case the runner on first base was the Flash

• Haha 1

The Cubs Justin Steele will be out until at least May with a hamstring strain if you want to know how the season is starting for Cubs fans

20 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

today in baseball: Rhys Hoskins knocks in 4 runs vs the Mets and then a Mets reliever throws behind Hoskins and gets ejected.

also, the pitcher ran to cover the plate just in case the runner on first base was the Flash

94, head high and behind. Gutless play. Yeah, the slide from Hoskins was dirty (and incorrectly ruled legal - you're not allowed to roll like he did) but you just can't throw a pitch like that. 

Got two Easter Sunday suspensions for things that happened on Saturday.

The Mets reliever gets 3 games for throwing behind Hoskins. Also Blue Jays reliever Genesis Cabrera gets 3 games for shoving Jose Caballero.