DVDVR Message Board

NXT Vengeance Day IV - 2/4/2024

Oh right, there's an NXT PLE this weekend!   Gotta compete against the Pro Bowl! 

THE CARD~

FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Ilja Dragunov (c) vs. Trick Williams

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Lyra Valkyria (c) vs. Roxanne Perez

FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Oba Femi (c) vs. Drag N. Lee  (I saw American Fiction this weekend.)

THE 2024 DUSTY RHODES TAG TEAM CLASSIC FINALS - The Wolf Dogs (Breakker / Corbin) vs. Carmelo Hayes / Trick Williams

NO DISQUALIFICATION MATCH - Dijak vs. Joe Gacy

MIXED SIX PERSON TAG - The Family (D'Angelo / Lorenzo / Rizzo) vs. OTM (Price / Nima / Parker)

Wolfdogs vs. TrickMelo was solid though pretty damn rough with bad luck for Trick and Bron. Still not sure how that rope moment happened. Bron somehow waving it off like nothing is insane.

Gacy/Dijak was good and got a decent bit of interest from the crowd by the end. Gacy smiling and ready for more throughout the whole match was neat and a good cementing of the craziness and toughness of his current character.

D'Angelo Family vs. OTM built into a pretty nice match. Crowd actually had decent interest by the end though this felt like something that should have been on NXT tv opposed to PLE. Not enough familiarity with OTM or the family's Rizzo for the crowd to be fully invested.

Roxanne/Lyra was going well but was nothing amazing until Lola cashing her Breakout contract. Felt like everything kicked into next gear from that point with the audience getting a lot more interested. Saying that it was interesting and kind of neat to see Roxanne be the only one they were really behind. They were especially pissed when Tatum screwed Roxanne at the very end. Will be interesting to see where things go since Roxanne had the match won twice over Lyra. Lyra has been good, but her personality leaves much to desire a lot of the time. The CWC crowd may be into her, but the bigger audiences are usually either against her or a bit apathetic outside of the occasional neat move. Will be interesting to see where they take things with Tatum obsessed with her. Now might be the time for subtle heel turn.

Oba/Dragon was Femi's first real test in NXT, and he did surprisingly well. He bumped around just enough to make most of what Lee did look good while still being dominant force for most of the match. I dug how Lee had to break Femi down at times. Finish was a nice strong win for Femi. Good match. WIll be interesting to see how much other people can get out Femi right now.

Trick/Ilja felt like a bit of war with both guys bleeding and how physical Ilja is in general. They did quite the job dragging the crowd in and made them think it was over at least 2-3 times before it actually was. Melo was actually pretty good as Trick's cheerleader while getting hot and making some mistakes that may have ultimately cost Trick the match. The obvious turn finally happened, but it hit well with the crowd getting super pissed and booing the crap out of Melo after he destroyed Trick's leg. Not sure what the title match for Stand & Deliver will be but Trick vs. Melo will be the actual main event regardless after this.

Undercard was pretty solid and enjoyable while all the title matches delivered. Oba/Dragon was a nice surprise, but I have to give MOTN to the women's title match or Trick/Ilja. both were so damn good and well done.

• Like 3

I’m like stupid late to this but holy shit Trick v Ilja 5 stars almost a perfect match and angle and had me falling for all the false finishes and then the dueling finishers at the end was the perfect finish. 

Angle after was great too, especially after all the excellent cheerleading and backing of Trick throughout by Carmelo. 

Excellent match and angle and I don’t even watch NXT every week or ever

• Like 1