DVDVR Message Board

2024 VIDEO GAMES CATCH ALL THREAD

20 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I had no idea Street Fighter EX existed. How many "Street Fighter" games were there between Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 3?

To answer my own question with what I could find through Googling, it seems there were eight. Four named "Street Fighter 2: Something Or Other", Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and Street Fighter EX.

That's smaller than expected. I honestly would have guessed at least a dozen.

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

To answer my own question with what I could find through Googling, it seems there were eight. Four named "Street Fighter 2: Something Or Other", Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and Street Fighter EX.

That's smaller than expected. I honestly would have guessed at least a dozen.

There’s also a couple of Marvel vs. Street Fighter games in that time frame. X-Men vs. Street Fighter was released before SF III. And Mwrvel SuperHeroes vs. Street Fighter was released between SF III and SF IiI: 2nd Impact, irrc.

• Thanks 1

Capcom was the original "This company can't count to 3" meme before that title went to Valve (although SF eventually got to 3, unlike Half-Life).  Hell, we used to joke that we were going to get Alpha 3 before SF3.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madl said:

There’s also a couple of Marvel vs. Street Fighter games in that time frame. X-Men vs. Street Fighter was released before SF III. And Mwrvel SuperHeroes vs. Street Fighter was released between SF III and SF IiI: 2nd Impact, irrc.

I debated whether a "vs Street Fighter" game counted as a "Street Fighter" game. One could go either way.

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Capcom was the original "This company can't count to 3" meme before that title went to Valve (although SF eventually got to 3, unlike Half-Life).  Hell, we used to joke that we were going to get Alpha 3 before SF3.  

Yeah, that's why my impression was that there were a dozen or more games between the original SF2 and SF3.

Then, Capcom gave the world SFIII and it was the best SF game, but everyone sort of glossed right over it and paid more attention to MvC and MvC 2 instead. 😞

Posted (edited)

I have no idea if my experience was common, but I had kind of moved on from Street Fighter by the time SF3 actually came out. Can't recall if I ever even tried it.

Edited by tbarrie

Posted (edited)

I never saw a SFIII cabinet but Street Fighter Alpha series was everywhere.  I didn't get to play SFIII until Dreamcast Double Impact.

Edited by assfax
  • Like 1

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-acquires-hogwarts-legacy-port-studio-from-embracer-group

I guess the MK11 and Hogwarts Legacy ports were good and popular enough that Nintendo decided they needed an in-house port-focused development team to bring more third-party ports over to the nu-Switch. 

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Need to go look to see if Kieron Gillen wrote about this yet. 

Nothing on social media, but I think all the RPS founders washed their hands of it years ago when it turned into shambling SEO corpse.

There's the Street Fighter II: The Interactive Movie game based on the Anime movie. It's not a fighting game, but you play as one of the Shadaloo's Cyborgs who is tasked with recording data about fighters around the world. Then at the end you fight Ryu in a fighting game match. The fighting gameplay is ripped from the Super Street Fighter II Turbo game.

Sega Saturn version  below in link

https://youtu.be/Ze6liE_rXYE?si=evjXonwHT-Nbl0P0

You can unlock the battle mode for PS1 with code 3F47C0E310 89F94FC274.

On 5/20/2024 at 3:50 PM, tbarrie said:

I have no idea if my experience was common, but I had kind of moved on from Street Fighter by the time SF3 actually came out. Can't recall if I ever even tried it.

It was true for me as well. Years later, I played the Dreamcast version of SF3 for maybe 5 minutes. I've spent more time watching and rewatching EVO Moment 37 involving SF3 than I ever have actually playing the game. 

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If this gets me reimagined versions of Night Stalker and Star Strike, I'm all for this.

Posted (edited)

Microsoft is putting together a bid to buy Valve, reportedly in the $16B range.

We should give the FTC's antitrust division nukes.

E: I am a fool who fell for an unsourced story but I'm standing by the nukes thing.

Edited by Zimbra

38 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I can't tell if this is breaking news or somebody posting a historically interesting story from the '80s.

LOOOOOL I thought the exact same thing.  When will Colecovision throw their hat in the ring?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

E: I am a fool who fell for an unsourced story but I'm standing by the nukes thing.

You love blue checked marked accounts

27 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You love blue checked marked accounts

How dare you, sir.  I am a man of culture who falls for extremely obvious bullshit from bluesky, not twitter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3