DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - WINTER 2024

Dolfan in NYC

A new year is almost upon us!   But MLS are still run by a bunch of chuckleheads.  They basically wanted to send their 2nd tier teams to the US Open Cup so the main squads could do, like, literally anything else. Here's how that went.

lol Happy Holidays!  ❤️

• Like 1

Horror Manchester United stats:

• United have lost 13 of their past 26 matches in all competitions this season, as many defeats as they recorded in all 62 competitive games last season.
  • United's tally of 20 defeats in all competitions in 2023 is their most in a calendar year since losing 20 in 1989.
  • It is their most defeats before Christmas since 1930 - a season in which they finished bottom of the top flight.
  • They have scored just 18 goals in 18 top-flight games this season, failing to score in seven of those games.
  • In a top-flight season, the only times they have managed fewer than 18 goals after their first 18 league games are 1973-74 (15), 1972-73 (16) and 1893-94 (15).
  • United have failed to score in four successive games in all competitions for the first time since November 1992 under Sir Alex Ferguson.

BBC Sport.

Apropos of nothing, that sponsor-less shirt is gorgeous.

Props to National League South side Maidstone United with the shock of the FA Cup, knocking off League One Stevenage Town 1-0.

Although the belt was not on the line this week, Tottenham Hotspur became the True and Accurate Champions of English Football for the 19th time on New Year's Eve with their win over Bournemouth. Only four teams have held the belt more times than Spurs, and those same four teams have held the belt for more matches. (Newcastle are tied for total reigns but are four title matches behind Spurs.)

At six successful defences, Bournemouth's reign narrowly missed out on the Top 10% of title reigns in the Premiership Era.

I hope Didier Deschamps is extra careful the next couple of days (so far there have been three people winning the World Cup als player as well as coach: Beckenbauer, Zagallo - who died a couple of days ago - and Deschamps).

FA Cup Fourth round draw:

Watford vs Southampton

Blackburn vs Wrexham

Bournemouth vs Swansea

West Brom vs Brentford or Wolves

West Ham or Bristol City vs Nottingham Forest or Blackpool

Leicester vs Hull or Birmingham

Sheffield Wednesday vs Coventry

Chelsea vs Aston Villa

Ipswich vs Maidstone

Liverpool vs Norwich or Bristol Rovers

Tottenham vs Manchester City

Leeds vs Plymouth

Crystal Palace or Everton vs Luton or Bolton

Newport or Eastleigh vs Wigan or Manchester United

Sheffield United vs Brighton

Fulham vs Newcastle

Normally I could give two shits about the Rags getting a result today, but them on the road at Newport or especially non-league Eastleigh would be fantastic.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The good thing for whichever teams plays them, they know it will be a TV game* and more money. 

*in the UK, since all of them are shown here 

Yep. Although I'm sure they'd be even happier with a draw and ensuing share of the gate for the replay.

If it's January in an even number year, it must be time for top-level teams around the world (and also scrub teams like, Liverpool.. hah! I kid!), to lose their players for a month to six weeks as it's time for the African Cup of Nations, and every time we do this, we get a reminder about how players are making sacrifices to play for their nation. No, we're not talking about voodoo or anything like that, this time. In this case, it's nearly losing an entire national team in a plane crash because the plane had no fucking working oxygen.

That's right, far from the glamor jet flights of top level international football, we get tiny propeller based aircraft that have to turn around nine minutes into a flight because there was no fucking oxygen working. Players were already falling unconscious due to lack of oxygen before the plane made an emergency landing.

Oh, and as an added "FUCK YOU",  The Gambia (you have to say "The Gambia", right?) officials then tried to put them on the very same small propeller-based plane for the trip again, claiming the problem had been fixed.

Needless to say, the players said "FUCK NO" to that. and I don't blame em

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39285300/gambia-players-staff-say-oxygen-failed-plane-afcon

Also the Asian Cup is happening, so teams are losing (among others) Japanese, South Korean and Australian players.

the Premier Leagueis doing the “winter break” where there only half the games this week and next. Conveniently, no Sat 1500 game either week.

File under: Things that I think would be cool but never should happen:

Teams should be allowed to "sell" their home status for the fixture to a higher division club. A big payday is so important to surprise teams who make the FA Cup third round. I know it never should happen because the Cup is meant to be fair and not biased toward big teams but (waves hands at real world). It's not like the rich clubs don't already have the advantage!

(this was inspired by my Bristol Rovers side in FM24 getting home games against Chelsea and Man City in the FA Cup, which is a decent payday, but nothing like what I'd get for playing at even one of those stadiums)