DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK THIRTEEN

Brian Fowler

There are 128 different possible outcomes for the Big XII tiebreaker scenarios. A lot of them obviously overlap in final result of who gets in the game, but so many different paths still exist. If Texas wins Friday it's fairly easy; Okie State is in with a win, Oklahoma is in with a win and OSU loss, if they both lose and K-State wins they are in.

If Tech beats Texas though, all hell can break loose.

• Like 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic
2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Watching Iowa football games is bad enough without the national ads very obviously targeted at Iowa Caucus voters

I'm not sure which is true:

If you're demented enough to watch Iowa football, you deserve to be tortured with political ads. 

Or

If you're demented enough to watch Iowa football, you're already suffering enough and shouldn't be subjected to political ads. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's Rivalry Week where records and rankings don't matter!

Which is good because there are only two ranked vs ranked matchups this weekend. Friday night, #16 Oregon State travels to play #6 Oregon in the final currently scheduled battle of the Civil War.

And Saturday at noon, the main event of the regular season kicks off when the undefeated #2 Ohio State Buckeyes travel North to battle America's Team™️ #3 undefeated Michigan Wolverines. It's the third straight year Ohio State has come into The Game #2, the second straight year Michigan has come in #3, the third straight year they are both top 5, and the second straight year they are both undefeated. It is the record extending 13th top five vs top five battle between the two (The Red River Shoot-out is second at 10.)

Elsewhere there are a lot of large point spreads vs teams hoping to salvage disappointing seasons by wrecking the season of their rival.

• Like 1

Never underestimate the power of the Apple Cup to surprise. WSU is coming off scoring 534 points against Colorado, UW off a narrow win that Oregon State gave away. I don't expect a surprise but... 

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Never underestimate the power of the Apple Cup to surprise. WSU is coming off scoring 534 points against Colorado, UW off a narrow win that Oregon State gave away. I don't expect a surprise but... 

I think it's nearly always stupid to completely dismiss a team in a rivalry game like that.

Except Georgia Tech this year. I cannot imagine any scenario where they win unless the Bulldogs have an outbreak of ebola.

• Like 2

This is one of the best ideas for an article I've ever seen.

A writer for the Toledo Blade went through the last year's obituaries in the paper to look at the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/college/2023/11/22/briggs-a-year-in-the-life-of-the-ohio-state-michigan-rivalry-through-the-blade-s-obituaries/stories/20231122115/

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Death. Taxes, and Iowa hitting unders.  the only certains in life.   seriously it wasn't even 27 🤣

At 25.5, it's the lowest total in ESPN Stats & Information's database, which has archived over/unders back to 2000. Eleven games since 2000 have had totals less than 34; Iowa has been involved in eight of those games, all of which stayed under the total.

Iowa is 10-2 and has scored 20 or fewer points EIGHT times.

They are 4-2 when they score 15 points OR LESS.

They are 8-0 when they score 15 points OR MORE.

They are dead last in the nation in offense and are 10-2.  The previous record for a team with an offense as bad as theirs is FOUR wins.

Yes, it helps that they play in a division where no one else has a clue on how to move the football but what they're doing is incredible.

But they're still going to lose by 30 to Ohio or Michigan.

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Arkansas had one of those first halves that would get a head coach fired

if they didn't already commit to bringing Sam Pittman back next year

He should be gone. That announcement recently of Pittman staying is a misguided attempt to save face.

You know how Penn State's offense looked basically incompetent against the only two good teams they've played?

With over ten minutes left in the third, they have 359 total yards against Michigan State. I think Sparty has a defense that should be fired.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

You know how Penn State's offense looked basically incompetent against the only two good teams they've played?

With over ten minutes left in the third, they have 359 total yards against Michigan State. I think Sparty has a defense that should be fired.

Ended up 586 to 53 total yards.

Keep seeing stuff different places online about Ryan Day to A&M.  

Near as I can tell, the ultimate source for every one of em is a parody post on whats left of Deadspin which was just screen caps from an Aggie message board.  

Sounds reliable to me.