DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

I both am and am not surprised by Sarkisian to USC.

On one hand, I expected him to be a candidate because of his ties to the Carroll golden years and his success pulling Washington out of the gutter. On the other hand, I'm a little surprised that they would hire the OTHER not-Norm-Chow OC from the Carroll golden years after just striking out with Kiffin. Seems like one of those situations where you'd almost have to go in the opposite direction.

You have to assume this development is directly connected to Kevin Sumlin re-upping with A&M over the weekend.

Big questions is, does Sarkisian keep Coach YAW YAW YAW on staff.

My guess is that anyone who was of interest to USC (Sumlin, Del Rio) told them to get lost.  USC isn't nearly as attractive these days as Trojan fans may think.

I don't see Ed O staying.  He clearly wants another head coaching gig and with these past few games, a smaller school may give him a chance.

I don't think Del Rio was anywhere near the candidate that he was rumored to be.  I don't think USC was looking to hire a guy that would be there for 2 years - or less - and then bolt for the NFL.  And there's no doubt that's what Del Rio would do.

USC has hired Washington's Steve Sarkisian as coach and interim coach Ed Orgeron has resigned, sources told ESPN on Monday.

Sarkisian in 2009 took over a Washington program that went 0-12 the previous season, and he returned the Huskies to respectability. He led Washington to a 34-29 record (24-21 Pac-12) in five seasons.

The Huskies (8-4) finished third in the Pac-12 North with a 5-4 conference record. They had three straight seven-win seasons entering this year.

Orgeron resigned Monday after he was passed over for the job, a source said.

Orgeron was "outraged" by athletic director Pat Haden's decision, even though Haden offered to make Orgeron an assistant head coach and one of the nation's highest paid assistants, according to the source.

The Trojans went 6-2 under Orgeron after Haden fired Lane Kiffin on Sept. 28.

Sarkisian, 39, interviewed with USC over the weekend, a source said. Boise State's Chris Petersen was a top candidate but withdrew from consideration, according to the source. Vanderbilt's James Franklin was also a candidate for the job, the source said.

Sarkisian, a native of Torrance, Calif., who played at El Camino Junior College, was an assistant at USC for seven seasons (2001 to 2003 and 2005 to 2008).

In 2007 and 2008, he was the Trojans' assistant head coach and offensive coordinator. When Sarkisian was on USC's staff under coach Pete Carroll, the Trojans were 74-15 -- including 22-3 when he was offensive coordinator.

At USC, Sarkisian worked with two Heisman Trophy winners -- quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart.

Leinart on Monday praised the hire on Twitter.

Washington freshman quarterback Troy Williams, a Los Angeles native, expressed his displeasure with the move, writing: "Don't ever commit cus of a coach. Faker then a 3 dollar bill." The tweet was later deleted.

USC offensive coordinator Clay Helton is expected to be the interim coach in the Trojans' bowl game, a source said.

Orgeron resigned and is pissed. I would be too if I were him.

Orgeron wasn't ever going to be the full-time boss at USC, and if he convinced himself otherwise, he should only be mad at himself.

Yeah, but I see his point.  He rallied the team after Kiffin had basically set fire to the program.  Orgeron wouldn't have gone over with the USC faithful long-term, but he saved their behind for this season.

Coach Sling Blade will land on his feet just fine.

"Ed? Ed Orgeron? Good afternoon, sir. . .this is Tom Osborne calling from Lincoln. . ."

I know that Osborne said that Pellini is staying as coach. . .but we know how these things go sometimes.

Ugh, do not like Peterson to Washington at all. Love Peterson, can't stand UW. Sooo conflicted. Wish he took the interview for the Southern Cal job.

I'm right there with ya.

Not huge news, but Wyoming has announced that they're hiring Craig Bohl, who has taken North Dakota State to the last two FCS titles and is three games away from a third.

NDSU has also beaten an FBS program in each of the last four seasons (and six out of the last eight) and hasn't lost since October of 2012.

Pretty surprising move by Bohl. . .though it sounds like his salary is going to increase at least five-fold.

Allegedly, the Texans are interested in him. Though I can't imagine why anyone would be right now. After the way this season played out, it appears Sumlin's M.O. is to ride the coattails of amazing quarterbacks to underwhelming results. Look at his history:

At Houston, he had the most prolific passer in NCAA history...and never even won a C-USA (C-USA!) championship. In fact, the one year he didn't have Keenum due to injury, Houston didn't even go to a bowl.

Now at A&M, he has a Heisman winner and one of the most electrifying players in college football history...and he never even came close to winning an SEC championship. And again, once Manziel got dinged up midway through the season and couldn't (wouldn't?) be as amazing as usual, A&M fell apart.

Why would you want this guy, right now?

At last, Mack Brown is stepping down at Texas. Should be officially announced soon.

Obviously everyone is going to be talking Saban, but the more realistic candidates getting mentioned are, from the college ranks:

David Shaw

Gus Malzahn

Art Briles

Jim Mora

And from the NFL, Mike Tomlin. Apparently.