DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Pete

I am probably gonna get the details slightly wrong but JMU's win was the first time a Top 5 team lost its season opener at home to an unranked team since 2001

EDIT - It is also the first time Michigan State lost a November game at home since they lost to a David Robinson lead Navy team in 1986

One of my favorite parts of regular season college basketball is some of the gyms that can get on TV if you look through enough channels

Which is another way of saying i'm watching a St. John's/Stony Brook game from Carnesecca Arena.

My madeup line of distinction between gyms and arenas is that gyms are places where the seating behind the baskets either isn't there (like in HS gyms) or is a bit different (Carnesecca has a few rows that are way above the floor). So the Wyoming arena, which has a nice oval isn't really a gym. But a place like Saint Peter's in Jersey City has a very gymnasium-like gym.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gonzaga drops a game to #2 Purdue, 73-63. Zach Edey struggled mightily in the first half but finished with 25 & 14 and impacted a bunch of shots. But, really, the game came down to a bit of a one-sided whistle in the first half (Purdue had something like one foul in the half) and a TON of missed 3s from Gonzaga. 6-32 from 3, no makes in the 2nd half, and a LOT of them were wide open. Brutal. Still, not too upset to be leading at the half over #2, shooting miserably, and not getting blown out while still working in a ton of new guys. 

two teams will play the #1 and #2 teams in back to back games in the Maui Invitational.

Marquette beat #1 Kansas and will play #2 Purdue

Tennessee lost to #2 Purdue and will play #1 Kansas

First time any team has played the #1 and #2 teams in back to back games since the Bill Walton era at UCLA (when Loyola-Chicago played UCLA and Marquette in back to back games)

• Like 1

Gonzaga got back in the saddle against Syracuse. It's a shame Steele Venters got hurt. His shooting would've been a big addition to this squad. It's shaping up to be another 25-win conference title season for the Bulldogs but I don't seem them doing much in March. 

Fresh off winning the SoCal Challenge last night, Bradley gets Vermont on Saturday. Amusingly, the Catamounts beat Cindy's college (Plattsburgh State) a few weeks ago so this may be the first and only time both our alma maters play the same school in a given season.

Nice win for Gonzaga over UCLA last night in a game featuring 1342 foul calls. Anton Watson was out of his mind, scoring 32 on 14-15 FGs. Shooting continued to be an overall problem though. Even Bill Walton on commentary wasn't awful for the first time in two decades. And sober! I legit can't remember the last time I heard Walton b be sober on commentary before these last two games. 

Gonzaga has won 14 straight against the Pac-12 and is 7-2 all-time against UCLA.