DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/12 - 7/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

20 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I saved the Willow/Athena match for later and I'm so glad I finally watched it. 

- The lady in the crowd yelling "WE LOVE YOU WILLOW!"

- Both of them stealing each other's moves out of spite

- Athena blasting her with the elbow and Tony with the Owen voice after it

- Willow slapping Athena in the tits and Athena responding with Kawada chops 

- Athena using the Crossface to get heat and getting immediate boos

Great stuff. 

Only wish the announcers hadn't missed that Willow responded to Athena's mockery by using one of her moves and her big celebration, minor complaint for an overall great match.

• Like 2

Battle of the Belts VII coming up! GT initiated! Starks is an asshole! When I say initiated, I mean half consumed and counting!

OC is in deep shit! Good ending there!

Archer vs Luchasaurus would be interesting with dueling promos by Jake and Christian!

Taya vs Storm is a close second to Statlander vs Storm to my favorite women's match that isn't Leyla Hirsch vs Lady Frost!

Edited by Shartnado
Archer is a scary opponent...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2023 at 1:34 PM, Phantom Lord said:

Yeah, this whole thing with Christian and Luchasaurus is not working. Christian should have just won the title in an underhanded manner to begin with. I'd much rather see Christian have people try to go through Luchasaurus to get to him for the title.

I'm keeping an eye on the countdown clock until they reunite Jack Perry with Christian. They already have the former dressing like the latter, minus the EVIL TURTLENECK.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm keeping an eye on the countdown clock until they reunite Jack Perry with Christian. They already have the former dressing like the latter, minus the EVIL TURTLENECK.

Seconded - that's gonna rule. No doubt it's going to help launch Perry into the stratosphere, but to me, I guess the real question is whether or not it works as a vehicle for sympathetic babyface-out-for-revenge Luchasaurus. Like, I enjoy Luchasaurus, don't get me wrong - but if you wanna compare him to Undertaker, as another monster example, he's still on the pre-'94 side in terms of selling and non-verbal emoting, IMO. Maybe it'd be easier to just keep him heel, reunite the trio, and have Hook go through all three?

I am finally watching Collision. Man, the tag match lives up to the hype. And then some. This is legit one of the best tag matches. Ever. Fantastic all around. 

Cash has always been great but man he has leveled up. Just a perfect performance throughout. Juice is also a revelation. 

• Like 6

Just here to echo all the praise for the Collision tag match. Wow.

I guess the only thing I would add is that the match had a number of complicated spots that required all four guys to really hit the timing just right and they all nailed it. All it takes is for one guy to be a little late and you've got the three others standing there looking awkward. That never happened. Just such a smooth job from everyone while still making it all look like an epic struggle.

• Like 6

Yeah it might be the MOTY for me so far. Funny, I always thought Jay White was super-overrated and cringey in NJPW, but take him out of the wanky, interference-ridden, Meltzer bait environment and put him in a more grounded setting and he is fundamentally a great worker. I mean the match was still fishing for star ratings but it actually delivered.

• Like 1