DVDVR Message Board

2023 Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

RIPPA

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

This feels like bs considering how Utami, Maika, and Suzu have been built up. Meltzer's Stardom rumors are always so off.

Dave thinks Mariah May's name is Maria.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Eivion said:

This feels like bs considering how Utami, Maika, and Suzu have been built up. Meltzer's Stardom rumors are always so off.

Dave's Japan sources have been woefully off for like two decades now. There was a hilarious moment last year when he said NOSAWA Rongai was booking Dragon Gate because some random fan told him it was true and he ran with it.

Then there's the whole thing when he listed "Takuma Iroha" in his rookie of the year results last year, which he then tried to say was actually Tomoka Inaba, which was moot anyway since she wasn't a rookie... but hey! Dave hadn't heard of her so she counts! (???)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, matt925 said:

I’ve wanted stardom action figures for so long. How is it not a thing yet?

Action Figures aren't common in Japan for Pro Wrestling since years, best you can get these days are 16D, vinyl figures, Sofubis and 3D printed non poseable figures. Even then not lot of those types get various new wrestlers made. 

Kinkeshi, those rubber things for Kinnikuman are rarely made for real wrestlers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, matt925 said:

I’ve wanted stardom action figures for so long. How is it not a thing yet?

Its annoying but I am hoping if they get any of their wrestlers better known in the US, maybe they will get some via Super7 or something since they have worked with New Japan in the past. Stardom sees their merch sales so I can't question their methods, they know their business better than I do, but hopefully if they grow enough we'll get something more interesting than mini-tapestries and stickers 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

Dave's Japan sources have been woefully off for like two decades now. There was a hilarious moment last year when he said NOSAWA Rongai was booking Dragon Gate because some random fan told him it was true and he ran with it.

Then there's the whole thing when he listed "Takuma Iroha" in his rookie of the year results last year, which he then tried to say was actually Tomoka Inaba, which was moot anyway since she wasn't a rookie... but hey! Dave hadn't heard of her so she counts! (???)

I don't follow his criteria. Is his rookie of the year cut and dry first year in the wrestling business? Or is it like the boxing prospect of the year where it's your "first" year where you've done something noteworthy but you haven't cross over into being a major star? Outside of maybe like Kurt Angle, the Giant/Paul Wight, and select few others, I cannot think of a bunch of people who would be truly worthy of an award titled rookie of the year with a year or less experience. I feel like if you just rename it, then that's your out. Otherwise, you're gonna get a whole bunch of folks who technically aren't rookies.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't follow his criteria. Is his rookie of the year cut and dry first year in the wrestling business? Or is it like the boxing prospect of the year where it's your "first" year where you've done something noteworthy but you haven't cross over into being a major star? Outside of maybe like Kurt Angle, the Giant/Paul Wight, and select few others, I cannot think of a bunch of people who would be truly worthy of an award titled rookie of the year with a year or less experience. I feel like if you just rename it, then that's your out. Otherwise, you're gonna get a whole bunch of folks who technically aren't rookies.

It varies. Some years it's cut and dry first year, some years it's "first year in a major promotion". I guess it depends on how big the pool of candidates is? Either way, it's inconsistent and weird.

36 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Its annoying but I am hoping if they get any of their wrestlers better known in the US, maybe they will get some via Super7 or something since they have worked with New Japan in the past. Stardom sees their merch sales so I can't question their methods, they know their business better than I do, but hopefully if they grow enough we'll get something more interesting than mini-tapestries and stickers 🙂

The Super7 figs are kind of what I’m imagining. Just can’t believe there isn’t some kind of movement on that end. 

25 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

It varies. Some years it's cut and dry first year, some years it's "first year in a major promotion". I guess it depends on how big the pool of candidates is? Either way, it's inconsistent and weird.

Well, you can get away with it if you don't actually define the category. It also doesn't help if a very small fraction of the readership will do their due diligence. I mean I ain't exactly keeping up with who started when my damn self, but that's just me.

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, you can get away with it if you don't actually define the category. It also doesn't help if a very small fraction of the readership will do their due diligence. I mean I ain't exactly keeping up with who started when my damn self, but that's just me.

This reminds me of 1997 when everyone was going "Ken Shamrock is the rookie of the year!" and there was one guy going "BUT HE'S BEEN WRESTLING SINCE 1989!!!" and nobody listened to him because nobody watched South Atlantic Pro Wrestling and his snooze of a draw against Mark Fleming.

(Seriously don't watch that match, my gosh is it bad.)

• Like 1

Like I know Mickey Mouse is popular in Japan. There is AJW documentary where Bull Nakano and her stable buy a shitload of Mickey Mouse merch. However, the fact that Giulia did all of that while wearing an oversized Mickey Mouse dress shirt makes me believe Stardom is hoping to be the the Burger King Kids Club wrestling promotion.

Keep in mind, there is a recent video of Giulia sarcastically making fun of Mai Sakurai for buying a bunch of Minions stuff at the age of 32.

Ice Ribbon has discontinued live streaming of the dojo shows, which makes sense, really. Live streaming is complicated and they're a pretty tight operation in terms of staffing (a lot of their wrestlers double as staff), so if the stream goes down mid-show, there probably wouldn't be anyone to fix it. Looks like they're going to the Pure-J model where they'll upload a couple of days after the show finishes, which sounds perfectly fine to me since it also sounds like we'd be getting the DVD cuts of the shows (meaning multiple camera angles instead of just the single shot from the hard cam).

I guess we'll see how long it takes for them to upload tomorrow's dojo show and what edit we get. There are people proclaiming doom and gloom, but that's what gets proclaimed after literally any Ice Ribbon move so grains of salt and all that.

Rifu Ribbon looks like it was pretty good from the digest posted on YouTube. The show didn't stream and the whole show hasn't surfaced on their YouTube or on DVD yet, but with any luck it will soon. Tsukasa Fujimoto looked like she hasn't missed a step! She directly lost the match as Ibuki Hoshi pinned her with the Ibuning Star, which really shows how far Ibuki's come since Tsukka has been on leave while under Hikaru Shida's mentorship. Tsukka also got triple Ham Rolled, with Chihiro Hashimoto having learned Hamuko Hoshi's signature move along with Ibuki joining the fun.

YuuRI's first defense of the Infinity title is happening on a Ganbare show as she has Ami Manase (or Rina Amikura under a mask proclaiming herself as Yuna Manase's sister) on 8/11. Ice Ribbon is also sending an offer match as Ibuki Hoshi and Kaho Matsushita go against Tsukina Umino and Yappy. It's weird that if you believe some Reddit/Twitter chatter, Ice Ribbon and Ganbare are supposed to be mortal enemies because Banny Oikawa and a former office staff member from Ice Ribbon went to work for Ganbare, yet here they are working together and holding title matches. It's almost like social media theories are just that! 🤔

Anyway, whoever wins that title match likely has Ibuki Hoshi at Ice in Wonderland at Korakuen on 8/26, as she put out a challenge after pinning Tsukka in Rifu. Ibuki and YuuRI had a really solid singles match last year at the dojo, so if they do rematch, it would be a great main event. That would also join an already scheduled International Ribbon Tag Title match of Hamuko Hoshi and Makoto defending against Yappy and AKARI if it comes through. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2