DVDVR Message Board

Segunda Caida

EricR

Figured I would start a thread for our Segunda Caida blog, either to give us feedback, request stuff to review, recommend crap to watch, comment on our groupthink, whatever.

Over the next couple weeks Phil and I are watching a bunch of Lawler matches that we've never noticed anybody talking about. A lot of them have been awesome so far, but we're delving into some weird Lawler deep cuts.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

SC has been pretty active lately (for us), with a bunch of new reviews over the last couple weeks. A few CMLL shows (with youtube links courtesy of Cubsfan) with a couple really fun matches, like a Casas/Rush singles and another great trios highlighting the Porky/Rey Escorpion feud which has Porky's best work in almost a decade. Also some deep cut Lawler reviews of matches that we've never seen anybody talk about. 

• 3 weeks later...

For 2014 we are going to be attempting to put something up every day. We are going to start with a bunch more Lawler reviews, but also I am going to be doing Hidden Gem friday, where I try to find an awesome match on youtube that I haven't really heard people talk about. Also Eric and I will be doing a combo running MOTY list. So set your bookmarks

• Like 1

"Yeah, it was too bad such a great Lawler performance was wasted on such a dogs hit Sid performance, it feels like Lawler would have a better match with an enthusiastic ex-Huskies center. I imagine if it was Lawler v. Haseem Thabeet it would have had more heat and Thabeet might have tried."

Phil, Emeka Okafor is right there.

was listening to one of the various podcast episodes a few days ago (I think it was the one where Eric was pulled over for speeding mid-show). Not sure if I should mention that Hogan/Bruno match that Phil missed was Bruno's final WWF match too.

I know this can't be literally true but it seems like every Puerto Rico match i've ever seen takes place in a high school gym or a baseball stadium

I dig Invader kicking Embry right in the balls and the ref saying "hell no I'm not DQing him" with Embry immediately taking a powder to recover. That's a spot I've probably never seen in a no DQ match and has some solid logic behind it, especially considering they call back to it sharing nut shots at the end of the match. I missed the lady in the crowd kicking Embry but liked the old campesino looking dude in the hat running along with the battle the whole match.

was listening to one of the various podcast episodes a few days ago (I think it was the one where Eric was pulled over for speeding mid-show). Not sure if I should mention that Hogan/Bruno match that Phil missed was Bruno's final WWF match too.

I know this can't be literally true but it seems like every Puerto Rico match i've ever seen takes place in a high school gym or a baseball stadium

The island isn't that big and the poverty rate isn't exactly very good in a lot of places, so if arenas exist, I'm sure they're not cheap to run and would have high ticket prices.

I dig Invader kicking Embry right in the balls and the ref saying "hell no I'm not DQing him" with Embry immediately taking a powder to recover. That's a spot I've probably never seen in a no DQ match and has some solid logic behind it, especially considering they call back to it sharing nut shots at the end of the match. I missed the lady in the crowd kicking Embry but liked the old campesino looking dude in the hat running along with the battle the whole match.

Watch for the part where they brawl into the crowd the first time, back by the roll-up door. On the way back to the ring, that's when a large woman in a nightshirt kicks Embry while they brawl by.

While looking at some old reviews, I came across the following passage:

"The Star is one of my favorite lucha spots, and this is greatest Star I ever seen, I completely lost my shit when it got reversed, it was the mat wrestling version of the first time you saw Steve Williams backdrop driver, or the Sasuke Special."

Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is The Star?

• Like 1

Phil and I spoke last night and decided to do our damnedest this year to bring back the 500. We've already held up our New Years promise to post new content every day. Yes, it's only been like 3 weeks, but that's a big deal to us. Obviously there's no shortage of wrestling out there to watch, so we've been trying to keep things fairly mixed up. I've been going through 2000s puro, Phil's been finding random youtube gems, and we've both been watching 2014 wrestling to keep an up-to-date MOTY list. 

But yes, the 500. There are clearly more than 500 wrestlers out there. If there's any under the radar guys out there you think we should check out, we're game to give anybody a try. Help us make the 500 the most complete 500 it can be. And let the speculation begin! Will the top 2 from the last 500 - 12 years ago - repeat!? I don't know, but don't go and look up who was #1 and #2 on the last 500!

• 4 weeks later...