DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

Flashpoint Paradox was thoroughly okay. Not great, but okay. I was falling asleep toward the end though, so a second watch will be required.

Beware the Batman doesn't fill the YJ/GL shaped hole in my heart, but I'm enjoying it a lot. I really appreciate the less frequently used villains coming out and the promise of an epic Batman/Shiva throwdown fills my heart with glee. She's one of my favourite villains, so getting to see her adapted excites me.

Currently watching "Transformers: Five Faces of Darkness" for the first time since the series was running on Sci-Fi Channel.  The third season of G1 was such a weird mix, lots of more ambitious and deeper stories than the first two years but SO many clunkers.

• Like 1

I can see that. I found the look interesting as well though its not for me personally.

I liked it more than I expected for the majority of the movie. Although any time the characters were out of costume and just in "street clothes" it was too anime for my liking. In terms of the quality of animation in the big action scenes, that is one area where I would rank it among the best DCAU stuff.

Currently watching "Transformers: Five Faces of Darkness" for the first time since the series was running on Sci-Fi Channel.  The third season of G1 was such a weird mix, lots of more ambitious and deeper stories than the first two years but SO many clunkers.

And, man, some of the episodes have such stunningly bad animation in season 3 too.

But, yeah, the story-telling was just a colossal leap forward.

I can see that. I found the look interesting as well though its not for me personally.

I liked it more than I expected for the majority of the movie. Although any time the characters were out of costume and just in "street clothes" it was too anime for my liking. In terms of the quality of animation in the big action scenes, that is one area where I would rank it among the best DCAU stuff.

Eh, we were talking about the Wonder Woman short, not Flashpoint.

Two series that I don't recall being talked about much previously:

Conan the Adventurer:  I really liked this one back in the day.  I appreciated the whole "star metal sends lizard men to the Abyss" thing as a clever way to thread the needle of having swords without having any blood.  I imagine some Conan purists might not like the changes in the mythology, plus I doubt it could hold up next to the best stuff that's come around since then (both in tone and quality of animation).  Anybody watch it recently?

Spawn: I never saw this (the HBO animated series; I saw the crummy movie).  Should I track it down?

Two series that I don't recall being talked about much previously:

Conan the Adventurer:  I really liked this one back in the day.  I appreciated the whole "star metal sends lizard men to the Abyss" thing as a clever way to thread the needle of having swords without having any blood.  I imagine some Conan purists might not like the changes in the mythology, plus I doubt it could hold up next to the best stuff that's come around since then (both in tone and quality of animation).  Anybody watch it recently?

Spawn: I never saw this (the HBO animated series; I saw the crummy movie).  Should I track it down?

The first season of Spawn is really good. Lots of cool stuff you never see in American animation. But season 2 dragged badly. I ended up stopping halfway. I think it reached a point where I wanted some demons fighting and less political intrigue. But the DVD set should be very cheap. 

First season of Spawn is all the proof you need that the character was a great concept that had tge misfortune to be created by an incompetent writer/artist.

The franchise any time it leaves the hands of Todd is all the proof you need of that. Holguin and especially Hine did great stuff with the main title and there were some excellent spinoffs like Hellspawn/Sam and Twitch as well.

The first season of Spawn is really good. Lots of cool stuff you never see in American animation. But season 2 dragged badly. I ended up stopping halfway. I think it reached a point where I wanted some demons fighting and less political intrigue. But the DVD set should be very cheap. 

The entire animated collection sometimes comes cheap on Amazon.  It was $8.96 just in June, but is $25.00 right now.  Just keep an eye on it, it's one of those items that moves up and down a lot.  I got it for just over $7.00 about 18 months ago.  Good watching.

Eh, we were talking about the Wonder Woman short, not Flashpoint.

Ah yeah, I can see that now reading back through the posts. Still out of curiosity, what did you think of the animation style in the Flashpoint Paradox?

Rented Flashpoint this morning, and I'm pretty ambivalent.  It's better than the comic it was based on, but I can't really call it 'good.'  Some of those designs, though...Jesus, what the hell was wrong with Aquaman's face?  The mix of cheekbones and neck muscles made him look like he was melting.  The bullet hole shot was pretty horrifying.

Haven't gotten to Flashpoint yet but I did watch both parts of The Dark Knight Returns this afternoon. I enjoy all the DCU releases but this one was particularly outstanding. Taking them together as one movie, I'd probably rank it second or third behind only New Frontier and maybe Crisis as far as best of the DCU. Part One was good but was the weaker of the two as Part Two almost could've stood on its own. 

The animation did a good job of evoking the Miller style (and the director made sure to include all the iconic shots) and the story stuck close enough to the comics that I didn't mind the tweaks they made here and there. The showdown with the Joker is epic and I liked how they didn't shy away from making Superman a Reagan-era Dr. Manhattan. 

The voice actors were great. Peter Weller was a fantastic choice for the old grizzled Batman. And I loved Ben Linus as the Joker. I've seen some people complain he didn't do the cackling madman gimmick but I thought his creepy voice and unsettling inflections fit this version of the character perfectly. Also, I thought it was an awesome touch that they brought in:

Conan O'Brien to do the voice of the David Letterman-parody talk show host

• Like 1

I'm not crazy about the Batman from Beware The Batman having a such a casual reliance on his super computer cause it comes across a little too much like Iron Man but this exchange from the last episode made me laugh:

"Computer, last known location of Humpty Dumpty?"

"A wall."

Glad the board is back, this is formerly James_Fabiano, BTW. 

So...DC Nation 2.0...

I see someone just above me mentioned Beware the Batman, and I was one of the biggest skeptics, but I must say the show is growing on me for what it is.  Was pleasantly surprised to see

Metamorpho on last episode...so now we have him and Katana too.  An Outsiders team brewing someday, perhaps?

And I am a fan of the Magpie Ala Gaga character, and can't get "Shiny, shiny!" out of my head. 

I only saw a few TTG!, if you'd like an extended version of the DC shorts, I guess it's all right.  Just have to shut off your brain for a while, I guess. 

Like the Lois shorts, like the one with Bizarro even better. 

I'm not sure if anyone brought this up, but it looks like WB is adding Spectacular Spider-man to their Vortex line up.

Yep...wonder if they'll add Flash Punches of Doom to it, or did they have them already, seeing as it originated on Vortexx's ancestor?