DVDVR Message Board

The Action Cartoons Thread

7 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Yeah, Death is so perfectly paced and so visceral that Reign just can't compare to it because they needed at least twice as much screen time to do it Justice. Also Westfield > Luthor for Kon's origin

I will never forgive Johns for ruining Kon with that stupid stupid idea.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Rooster Teeth's gen:LOCK over the past few days. I recall seeing a trailer of it last year and having no idea what the hell it was about so I semi-forgot about it until it popped up on CR. Have to say the names attached to this feel kind of ridiculous for something coming from Rooster Teeth. Michael B. Jordan as the lead, David Tennent, Dakota Fanning, & Masie Williams all having decent sized roles as well was just not something I would have expected. Do have to say I was impressed by Monica Rial. Its been years since I watched anime dubbed so I haven;t really heard her in a long while, but she has seemingly only gotten better. The voice she used was perfect and not remotely like her own. Anyways as for the actual show itself its kind of on par with the better parts of RWBY. The writing is decent enough, but it does feel like they skipped a few steps plot wise to get to a big story done by the end. Feels like we should have had more time with the Vanguard and building the relationships between them and the gen:lock members. Same with Tennent's character just seemed to have a lot more to offer. Also felt weird for them to emphasize Fanning's character so much in the first two episodes only for her to become a side character for the rest of the season and likely series. They also need to do more about the lore. While I'm sure there is probably more to read online somewhere, there isn't quite enough explained within the show like the point and goals of the Union. Show has potential, but its not quite there yet as something truly worthwhile. Would still give it another shot if it gets another season.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Watched Rooster Teeth's gen:LOCK over the past few days. I recall seeing a trailer of it last year and having no idea what the hell it was about so I semi-forgot about it until it popped up on CR. Have to say the names attached to this feel kind of ridiculous for something coming from Rooster Teeth. Michael B. Jordan as the lead, David Tennent, Dakota Fanning, & Masie Williams all having decent sized roles as well was just not something I would have expected. Do have to say I was impressed by Monica Rial. Its been years since I watched anime dubbed so I haven;t really heard her in a long while, but she has seemingly only gotten better. The voice she used was perfect and not remotely like her own. Anyways as for the actual show itself its kind of on par with the better parts of RWBY. The writing is decent enough, but it does feel like they skipped a few steps plot wise to get to a big story done by the end. Feels like we should have had more time with the Vanguard and building the relationships between them and the gen:lock members. Same with Tennent's character just seemed to have a lot more to offer. Also felt weird for them to emphasize Fanning's character so much in the first two episodes only for her to become a side character for the rest of the season and likely series. They also need to do more about the lore. While I'm sure there is probably more to read online somewhere, there isn't quite enough explained within the show like the point and goals of the Union. Show has potential, but its not quite there yet as something truly worthwhile. Would still give it another shot if it gets another season.

I'm watching it with the teenager as a compromise since he loves RWBY and I really don't. We're a couple of episodes behind now. I've liked it well enough but pretty much loathed the episode where they all go to the digital space. I'm sure it was supposed to be there to help flesh out the characters but it felt like the most meandering, unfocused, fan-servicey thing, poorly executed and amateurish more than anything else. I also imagine it was a lot of the target audience's favorite episode, but it felt a lot like giving people what they wanted instead of the story what it needed. 

I agree on the Fanning bit. There was a much more interesting story to tell there with her and Jordan's character and they focused too widely instead.  It's still a pretty sharp show in certain ways though, mainly the action which doesn't surprise me with Rooster Teeth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Justice League vs Fatal Five will be day-and-date between DCU and home video on 4/16, which means it's time for me to cancel my pre-order.  Hopefully this will be the norm going forward.

That's two straight, so it looks like it.

Also they are supposed to be adding "thousands" of comics in April, nothing less than 12 months old.

20 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's two straight, so it looks like it.

Since Reign of the Supermen (a) came out during the fedral furlough and (b) had a Fathom screening, I didn't even notice it got a day-and-date release on DCU. ?  I just knew it was relatively soon after the theatrical run.

26 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Since Reign of the Supermen (a) came out during the fedral furlough and (b) had a Fathom screening, I didn't even notice it got a day-and-date release on DCU. ?  I just knew it was relatively soon after the theatrical run.

I literally got home from buying it and saw it on there.

Finished watching the first half of Young Justice Outsiders last night. Will never be super fond of all of the age switch ups, but I like what they have done so far with S3. The new crew is interesting, and I like them continuing the meta human weapons plot started at the end of S2. Honestly the most annoying thing is probably the lack of diversity in voice actors which I assume is money related. Love Khary Payton, but he is in way too much of his. I also miss Tim Curry as Glorious Godfrey. Still a lot of fun episodes and moments like the Harper men running a private security gig with Dick, Beast Boy in a weird mind trip with the Doom Patrol as the Teen titans Go, etc. Was nice seeing Vic introduced though I'm surprised at how much they showed him hurt before he became Cyborg. Organs and half a face missing was not something I expected to see. With so much goign on this season it will be interesting to see how much of it is settled by the end and what is possibly just an hint of the times.

So Justice League v. Fatal Five is good... just not great

I mean we already goot a Fatal Five story in JLU and with this showing us a glimpse of Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner pretty much establishes it as a separate DCAU timeline. There is plenty to nitpick in this but overall it was fun

James

I guess this is the place for it. I vaguely recall watching the Batman animated show in the 90s when I was a kid (was more into the X-Men & Spider-Man shows), but now that they have the entire series on blu-ray... is it worth it? I can get just the complete series+two movies (minus the extras like the mini Funkos, artwork, etc, which I care nothing about) for around $30, so yay or nay?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

I guess this is the place for it. I vaguely recall watching the Batman animated show in the 90s when I was a kid (was more into the X-Men & Spider-Man shows), but now that they have the entire series on blu-ray... is it worth it? I can get just the complete series+two movies (minus the extras like the mini Funkos, artwork, etc, which I care nothing about) for around $30, so yay or nay?

It's generally considered by consensus the best animated superhero show ever (I might put it behind JLU, but that has more to do with me being a total DC fanboy.)

I can't imagine you not enjoying it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Casey said:

I would say yes but you and I often have such wildly disparate tastes that I feel it would be something you find too old fashioned or something like that. ?

there are enough clips/episodes oine that you could watch a handful of them to see if you dig it before spending the money. 

• Haha 1

well I remember owning and liking Mask of the Phantasm when I was a kid, and this is included, so it's probably a good gauge of what the series is like, yeah? I think I'll go ahead and get it.

I wish X-Men & Spider-Man had collections like this, but I guess (hopefully?) that's on Disney+.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

7 hours ago, Casey said:

well I remember owning and liking Mask of the Phantasm when I was a kid, and this is included, so it's probably a good gauge of what the series is like, yeah? I think I'll go ahead and get it.

I wish X-Men & Spider-Man had collections like this, but I guess (hopefully?) that's on Disney+.

I have no idea how you have gone so long w/o having seen it, especially if you liked Mask of the Phantasm which is a part of the same universe. Its not a perfect show, but it is an overall fantastic series. Now I'm curious if you've seen Superman from the same time, Batman Beyond, JL/JLU. All part of the same animated universe. All pretty good.

Still kind of shocked X-men and Spider-man from the 90's haven't been released.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1