DVDVR Message Board

General Music Discussion Catch-All

RIPPA

Y.M.O.'s Naughty Boys... God, I love this album. I must have listened to it half a dozen times recently. Y.M.O.'s members took time off to record solo projects. This was a group record they released in the meantime that was more pop oriented than their usual material, but man, what glorious pop music. 

Slayer's Show No Mercy... not much needs to be said about this album. The only thing that could have been better is if I'd been old enough to save up my lunch money for it.

New Order's Power, Corruption & Lies... I don't get too involved in the hype of this album. It's good, but not transcendently great. There were a lot of other good albums from '83, and honestly, I prefer Joy Division, but I will say that New Order is one of the greatest continuations of a band ever. 

Metallica's Kill 'Em All... there are times when I convince myself that this is my favorite album because of how raw it is and the limited budget they had to work with. 

Violent Femmes' Violent Femmes... this is an undeniably great album. Blister in the Sun may be overplayed but it's still catchy as f--k, and the rest of the album is just as good.

Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind... I wasn't a metal fan growing up and there was a time in my life when I would have rolled my eyes at metalheads debating what the best Iron Maiden record is. One of my best mate's younger brother and his friends used to drive my mate up the wall with their metal talk to the point where he still refuses to listen to any music with guitars in it. Anyway, I got into metal of my own accord and this record was one of my entry points. In another life, this album would have inspired me to learn the guitar so I could play those freaking solos.

Mercyful Fate's Melissa... I'm trying to imagine putting this record on for the first time and hearing the opening track. It would have blown my mind. What a searing opener. It's a damn wonder it didn't scorch the record player.

Cock Sparrer's Shock Troops... I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I'm not a big fan of Oi! and this is the most Oi! sounding record ever, but it's really good. Perfect working class punk.

Accept's Balls to the Wall... I love Accept. There are better metal albums than this from '83 but Accept still kick ass and take names. I didn't realize there are so many people who write them off as a second rate Judas Priest or ACDC. Ingrates!

Misifts' Earth A.D./Wolfs Blood... still a fun record. You'd think the novelty of horror punk would wear off after a while, but this record is so fast that it just leaves you revved up. 

Tatsuro Yamashita's Melodies... Tatsuro Yamashita is the King of City Pop and records like this are the reason why. Really beautiful LP from a master of his genre. 

Wasn't sure if you were doing the classics but you ran into a murderer's row here. 

Finally getting Earth AD on vinyl surprised me as it was missing probably the two most familiar songs on the album and the longest and slowest one for sure. Felt way more like an EP, or just one nasty studio session where the producer and engineer turned on the mics and left the control panel to watch inside the room with the band, with instructions for one guy to hit "stop" and "start". 

Kill 'Em All I got probably second. Piece of Mind was later, I was already out of high school and had most of the songs memorized from Live After Death which was my first Maiden, so it hit me in the back of the head with "Where Eagles Dare", "Die With Your Boots On", and my eternal favorite "Quest for Fire" which is always regarded as one of the naff Maiden tracks like "Gangland" which is totally wrong in both cases ("To Tame A Land" is the weak link here actually and is thankfully last). Balls to the Wall was a vinyl purchase for like $5 with no inner sleeve -- still. Show No Mercy was actually a bit later too, wish it hadn't been, but that didn't affect my immediate love of it. Melissa was a returned CD I think! It was in one of those semi-loose plastic bags sealed with a line of hot plastic. That was like getting Sin After Sin from the same store at the mall, with the same effect on me. 

Shock Troops I don't listen to anymore because the songs stick around in my head for a week+ afterward. It's really not fair. 

• Like 1

I heard that fucking thing on Futurama and had to go watch the video, and look them up on Wiki. Apparently them, Dave Matthews and Blues Traveller were friends and touring buddies. Man, I wanted to shoot that shit off straight into the sun growing up. The labels and MTV were so desperate and scrambling in the mid-late '90s and tried so much different music -- swing, ska, pop-punk, electronica, industrial metal -- but until they hit the jackpot with boy/girl popsters, hip hop and nu-metal the only real success stories were this AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL radio pablum. It's like they went straight from alternative into THIS with both overlapping, right before the schizophrenia hit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I heard that fucking thing on Futurama and had to go watch the video, and look them up on Wiki. Apparently them, Dave Matthews and Blues Traveller were friends and touring buddies. Man, I wanted to shoot that shit off straight into the sun growing up. The labels and MTV were so desperate and scrambling in the mid-late '90s and tried so much different music -- swing, ska, pop-punk, electronica, industrial metal -- but until they hit the jackpot with boy/girl popsters, hip hop and nu-metal the only real success stories were this AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL radio pablum. It's like they went straight from alternative into THIS with both overlapping, right before the schizophrenia hit.

I saw that the Dave Matthews Band was nominated for the R&R Hall of Fame and I'm like, "Why?" They had one good song and one endlessly repeated song.

Might should finesse that explanation a bit. The studios and MTV always had their base cash crops: 

1. Pop R&B, now moving closer to hip hop (TLC, New Edition, Destiny's Child, and yes all the boy bands and girl singers fall into this category once they reclaimed the Menudo Title from NKOTB)

2. Boomers buying yacht rock classics and another copy of Rumours, which is still getting vinyl reissues every year

3. Country music (never went away, was hitting third wave, integrating rock/pop/eventually even hip hop)

They needed another, fresher one-armed bandit to pull the arm on though, and eventually numbered a fistful. 

Electronica (Prodigy... ummm, there were other examples, right? Or was this purely a music-magazine gimmick name?)

Ska (No Doubt, who were at heart a pop band)

Swing (Cherry Poppin' Daddies)

Alt metal/Industrial metal (NIN/Manson/White Zombie)

Pre-fab alt rock (Bush, Collective Soul which would merge with hard rock into Creed and Godsmack)

Pop-punk (Green Day/Offspring, to a lesser extent Epitaph bands)

These were one-and-dones but then hip hop and EDM took over everything and nu-metal was the last of the trial subgenres before becoming niche airplay alongside the older stuff. 

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

How in 2024 have I heard Two Princes twice in the same day?

Whenever I hear an old song/band like that multiple times in a day or even over a few days, my first thought is that someone from the band died.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Might should finesse that explanation a bit. The studios and MTV always had their base cash crops: 

1. Pop R&B, now moving closer to hip hop (TLC, New Edition, Destiny's Child, and yes all the boy bands and girl singers fall into this category once they reclaimed the Menudo Title from NKOTB)

2. Boomers buying yacht rock classics and another copy of Rumours, which is still getting vinyl reissues every year

3. Country music (never went away, was hitting third wave, integrating rock/pop/eventually even hip hop)

They needed another, fresher one-armed bandit to pull the arm on though, and eventually numbered a fistful. 

Electronica (Prodigy... ummm, there were other examples, right? Or was this purely a music-magazine gimmick name?)

Ska (No Doubt, who were at heart a pop band)

Swing (Cherry Poppin' Daddies)

Alt metal/Industrial metal (NIN/Manson/White Zombie)

Pre-fab alt rock (Bush, Collective Soul which would merge with hard rock into Creed and Godsmack)

Pop-punk (Green Day/Offspring, to a lesser extent Epitaph bands)

These were one-and-dones but then hip hop and EDM took over everything and nu-metal was the last of the trial subgenres before becoming niche airplay alongside the older stuff. 

MTV tried really hard to push Electronica, besides Prodigy they pushed Fatboy Slim, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Moby and Air. I kind of remember thinking that they wanted to be ahead of the trend since they were so behind when other trends like hip-hop, "alternative music", and grunge, but ended up picking the wrong one since Ska became way more of a thing than Electronica. 

• Like 2

Mmmm yeah, that reminds me of Jamiroquai too. Funny you mention ska being bigger because all I could think of was No Doubt but looking at it there was a ton of shit like Reel Big Fish, the Bosstones, Voodoo Glow Skulls and such that were more on an Epitaph level of being all over the place but just not on the radio (except for "The Impression I Get"). My experiences with Ska are far more related to hardcore fans that created hardcore (and hardcore-influenced) bands like Choking Victim and Leftover Crack. 

Radiohead is an outlier in all this stuff. They were the '90s Pink Floyd. 

I was searching for another swing example and I couldn't place the name, but it was Squirrel Nut Zippers haha. And christ they even pushed Aphex Twin in the electronic category, so they weren't afraid of stretching. 

EDIT: Ooof I am forgetting one band that was HUGE and combined a lot of this stuff into one package: Sublime.

Edited by Curt McGirt

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Does Brian Setzer count or what was a different time period? 

Stray Cats was from a totally different era, but I kind of remember in the mid/late 90's era that the Brian Setzer Orchestra being more of a VH1 thing.

I think that was probably the first sign of the Gen X getting their own nostalgia on. "Going out to see the Brian Setzer Orchestra" feels like something I can see a couple from that era going on a date night to (which is probably why I used it as a joke about Ruby and Ange before). Even though they had an orchestra though that was still rockabilly, right? I don't know exactly what they covered besides "Rock Around the Clock" or whatever their hit was.

Wasn't there a lot of poster/box art like Swingers where you had a character standing at an angle with their head or something they were holding in the foreground being real big? Like the Ace Ventura poster?

Edited by Curt McGirt

I found out this week that my wife both a) has a favorite unreleased Oingo Boingo song and b) has never heard Weird Science and did not know Danny Elfman was in the band.

She is fascinating.