DVDVR Message Board

NXT: THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH XX - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Didn't see any of this in the match. What sequence are you talking about?  Match was great and other than one spot where Io threw Sasha and Sasha rotated too far on the throw everything else was perfectly executed.

The German Suplex? It looked like they were trying to have Sasha backflip and land on her feet out of it, but it was mistimed and she under-rotated. Sort of landed on her head and feet at the same time.

Edited by AxB

If you go back, a lot of the counterwrestling happening around the German suplex spot is very “reachy” and not very “grabby,” if that’s makes any sense, which is a peeve of mine.  It looks very slow and fake to me, which I think should generally try to be avoided.

Really, though, I think that would be less of a problem for me if there was a better finish.  I don’t think they really worked to the interference in a way that felt fulfilling.  It really felt like we saw 15 minutes of a 20 minute match that was arbitrarily ended on a bunch of interference, as opposed to a 15 minute match that reached its logical conclusion with a bunch of interference. That kinda soured me on the whole thing.  But, WWE booking.

Edited by EVA

Well, yeah. If every match has to finish by interference or distraction, it does make you wonder why wrestlers spend ten+ minutes trying to win just by doing wrestling moves.

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

I think he’s just searching for reasons to try to claim that Shida and Penelope Ford was the best women’s match last week.

I don't see it but to each their own.  Our own Eric R has a nice write up on Io/Sasha (and the rest of the Bash) found here: http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/

I agree with him...  it was very physical and hard hitting from both of them and it felt like the first time Io's been in the ring with someone here in the states where she can let it all go.  Io's offense + Sasha's bumping is everything..    They need to have a rematch. 

The German Suplex?

Yeah that's the spot that I thought was off but they saved it by not pretending it worked.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

LOL The moment I saw that @MavsFan77 had responded, I knew it was going to feature whining about AEW bias.  

Learn a new tune, man.

How many times do I need to tell you that I like both shows? 

But then again I’m not the one praising a decent at best women’s match, then trying to put down Sasha/Io which was according to most of us the match of the night regardless of show. 

You can like both shows and still be unhealthily hung up on this NXT persecution complex.  It’s not an either/or situation.

Seriously, just try posting about AEW or NXT without mentioning the other, like, 75% more often.  Freshen things up.

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

You can like both shows and still be unhealthily hung up on this NXT persecution complex.  It’s not an either/or situation.

Seriously, just try posting about AEW or NXT without mentioning the other, like, 75% more often.  Freshen things up.

Or you could just put me on ignore if it bothers you that much. Since I’m not the one putting down a fantastic match just to prop up something from another company. 

Honestly there’s more performers I like in AEW anyhow, but if NXT puts on a better show or does things I like better I’ll comment on that. With you it’s like you’re AEW obsessed so you need to trash NXT to be hip, or edgy and you’re not.

This is an incredible straw man argument. I defy you to find one post of mine where I have compared Io/Sasha to Shida/Penelope.  This idea that I’m putting down one to favor the other is a figment of your anti-NXT conspiracy-obsessed mind.

Unlike you, I’m capable of evaluating these things based on their own merits, irrespective of the other.

And if most other people liked Io/Sasha more than me, cool!  I didn’t post my opinion with the intention of changing anybody else’s.  Just thought I’d talk about the most notable match of the week on the ol’ rasslin’ talk board.

Edited by EVA
  • Thanks 2

Soooooo all this talk about ratings has me begging for this to be a word filter.  All this talk about demos and claiming victory in various ways just seems tiresome to me.

But as somebody firmly on the AEW train I have no problem saying NXT's show was really, really good.  And on top of with that kind of show they more than deserved to win the week.  Heck, I even found good things in Lumis/Strong.  While I can gripe about them being desperate and booking matches like Io/Sasha that just seems petty.  Doesn't matter how or why but I'm glad they booked this and Oney/Thatcher.  And if the only main issue I can find is that the WWE logo wasn't properly covered on that one GAB banner then that's alright by me.

Now I'm hoping all this ratings talk is done but if not then I just wanted to get my two cents in while I can.  I sadly have a feeling there will be more come Wednesday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I agree with him...  it was very physical and hard hitting from both of them and it felt like the first time Io's been in the ring with someone here in the states where she can let it all go.  Io's offense + Sasha's bumping is everything..    They need to have a rematch. 

I disagree with this. The only time I've really felt that from Io in the states was the MYC final against Toni. With Sasha it felt like they were just starting to let loose and hit the next gear before the interference hit.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I disagree with this. The only time I've really felt that from Io in the states was the MYC final against Toni. 

I don't think that got enough time.  I agree that it was a good match for sure but wasn't it right around 12 minutes?  I wanted to see 15 at least 

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

He could be complaining about James Harden.

You could go back to trolling the NBA and NFL forums. Or you know offer up an actual NXT related thought. 

Edited by MavsFan77

32 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I disagree with this. The only time I've really felt that from Io in the states was the MYC final against Toni. With Sasha it felt like they were just starting to let loose and hit the next gear before the interference hit.

The more I think about it, I think this is what frustrated me the most about the match.  If they had been given the chance to deliver a stronger a finish, I likely wouldn’t have minded some of the smaller bits that bothered me about it.  The interference just felt like an arbitrary endpoint that was inserted over a longer, better match.

44 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Soooooo all this talk about ratings has me begging for this to be a word filter.  All this talk about demos and claiming victory in various ways just seems tiresome to me.

But as somebody firmly on the AEW train I have no problem saying NXT's show was really, really good.  And on top of with that kind of show they more than deserved to win the week.  Heck, I even found good things in Lumis/Strong.  While I can gripe about them being desperate and booking matches like Io/Sasha that just seems petty.  Doesn't matter how or why but I'm glad they booked this and Oney/Thatcher.  And if the only main issue I can find is that the WWE logo wasn't properly covered on that one GAB banner then that's alright by me.

Now I'm hoping all this ratings talk is done but if not then I just wanted to get my two cents in while I can.  I sadly have a feeling there will be more come Wednesday.

I’m done with the ratings talk. I’m tired of it too. 

I’ll just post/discuss what I enjoy about both shows, and leave it at that. But I do think your review was quite well done, and had opinions I enjoyed. I might have to rewatch Strong/Lumis now. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MavsFan77 said:

I’m done with the ratings talk. I’m tired of it too. 

I’ll just post/discuss what I enjoy about both shows, and leave it at that. But I do think your review was quite well done, and had opinions I enjoyed. I might have to rewatch Strong/Lumis now. 

Thank you!  I have no problem admitting I'm way more of an AEW guy but when NXT has something that clicks I'm still very much entertained.  At the end of the day whether it's for ratings sake or whatever else I just ask that both put on the best shows they can.  So no matter how one wants to spin ratings if the shows are good then we all win.

• Thanks 1

I generally like NXT, but I find it really hard to care what happens with these characters. There’s not a lot of compelling issues. They all seem like they’re kinda there.

I didn’t even get a lot of hate between Tegan and Dakota. 

in a vacuum these are good matches between good wrestlers but I find the storylines and characters generally lacking. 

Also, is it me, or do most of the finishers kinda suck? 

Io v. Sasha was good. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Thank you!  I have no problem admitting I'm way more of an AEW guy but when NXT has something that clicks I'm still very much entertained.  At the end of the day whether it's for ratings sake or whatever else I just ask that both put on the best shows they can.  So no matter how one wants to spin ratings if the shows are good then we all win.

That’s my basic take too. I prefer AEW (despite the claims of an NXT bias from me), but I still find things I enjoy about NXT too. Like this coming week I know regardless of the outcome I’ll enjoy Keith Lee/Adam Cole, because I really like Keith Lee. 

The same with AEW. I love Jericho, and OC has become a favorite of mine too so I’m looking forward to that match. Plus having Pentagon and Fenix back makes the 8 man tag must see (IMO).

I just want to see great wrestling from performers I like/enjoy, and if something else catches my eye then I’ll comment on that too.

That’s why I rarely comment on Raw. There’s just not enough I like on there, and I don’t want to be viewed as the guy that craps on everything. 

• Like 1

I'm way more into AEW but I feel they have been treading water since the Stadium Stampede and NXT has gotten better but both are strong shows.  I didn't even pick sides during the height of RAW and Nitro.  I flipped back and forth every 2 minutes.  It would drive my father crazy. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm way more into AEW but I feel they have been treading water since the Stadium Stampede and NXT has gotten better but both are strong shows.  I didn't even pick sides during the height of RAW and Nitro.  I flipped back and forth every 2 minutes.  It would drive my father crazy. 

I’d have to watch both in my room as I did the same thing, and my dad would demand I give him the remote. ?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My parents were busy trying to get me out of wrestling at the time so I would sneak upstairs and flip between both channels.  And in the process I drove myself crazy.

But funny thing is while I can technically pull up NXT on a second screen I find it hard to concentrate on either show if I'm watching both.  I tried that the first couple shows and would scrap that after 20 minutes of it.

• Like 2