DVDVR Message Board

HOLLYWOOD LOVES MONEY (Box Office $$$ and Stuff)

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wonder how much Jaws made this summer. Friends of mine went to a double of Frankenstein and Bride and are going to one of the original Halloween and the good remake this Sunday. They had like three Universal horror double features in a row including that one, I think the others were Dracula and Wolf Man, Invisible Man and The Mummy.

Per Box Office Mojo - $758,300 (it made $67 overseas)

• Like 1

If anything this kind of softens the blow of losing the Art Theater here in town, which I've talked about before. That sting returned a couple months back when we found out that the owner was selling off THE FUCKING SEATS and everything else inside the building. There were art displays owned by my friends that the prick refused to return as well. 

Landlords deserve to be flogged. 

• 1 month later...

Building on the two companies’ shared commitment to the theatrical experience, while capitalizing on the opportunity to further adapt to changing consumer behavior, particularly in light of the current COVID-19 environment, Universal Filmed Entertainment Group, a division of Comcast Corporation, and Cinemark Holdings, Inc. today announced a multi-year agreement under which UFEG films will be exhibited in Cinemark theaters in the U.S.

The agreement includes at least three full weekends (17 days) of theatrical exclusivity for all Universal Pictures and Focus Features theatrical releases, at which time the studio will have the option to make its titles available across premium video on demand (PVOD) platforms. Under the terms of the deal, any title that opens to $50 million or more, including many franchise titles, will play exclusively in theaters for at least five full weekends (31 days) before the title may become available on PVOD.

“Universal’s century-long partnership with exhibition is rooted in the theatrical experience, and we are more committed than ever for audiences to experience our movies on the big screen,” said Donna Langley, Chairman, UFEG. “Mark Zoradi and the team at Cinemark have been outstanding partners, and Peter Levinsohn [Vice Chairman & Chief Distribution Officer, UFEG] has done a remarkable job on the studio’s behalf in making deals that give us the confidence to release our movies in the marketplace, keep the content pipeline moving, and provide consumers with the optionality that they are looking for.”

“We are extremely pleased to further enhance our strong partnership with Universal as we evolve the exclusive theatrical window,” said Mark Zoradi, Cinemark CEO. “We believe a more dynamic theatrical window, whereby movie theaters continue to provide an event-sized launching platform for films that maximize box office and bolsters the success of subsequent distribution channels, is in the shared best interests of studios, exhibitors and, most importantly, moviegoers.”

The full terms of the deal are confidential and are not being disclosed.

UFEG’s film slate, including titles from Universal Pictures, Focus Features and DreamWorks Animation, has five theatrical releases remaining on the 2020 calendar: The Croods: A New Age (11/25), Half Brothers (12/4), All My Life (12/4), News of the World (12/25) and Promising Young Woman (12/25).

With nearly a thousand less theaters open in the US than last week, the box office once again cratered even from it's already terrible recent lows. Only roughly $6.5 million total for all movies (Freaky the only one to even cross the one million dollar mark.)

So it's basically back to pre-Tenet levels.

Since this piece of the WB putting all the movies on HBO Max is a pure financial story, I am putting it here because why not be in all the threads.

Apparently - Legendary (the studio behind Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong) is preparing to sue WB as

A) The studio had a deal with Netflix (rumored to be for $250 million) to have Godzilla vs Kong go there but WB nixed the deal

and

B) WB made its decision without notifying Legendary

Since Legendary reportedly fronted 75% of the budget on both movies, you can see why the are unhappy

• Like 2

I just did all this research, so might as well share it here too. 

“Was A Xmas Story a hit, bomb or neither?”

Week One: nov 18, 1983 - finishes 3rd with $2,072,473, behind the debuting Amityville 3D and the Big Chill in its 7th week. However, it was only $300,000 behind Amityville and in 370 less theaters.

Week Two: nov 25, 1983 (thanksgiving); finishes 1st with $3.9, $0.5 million ahead of the debuting Terms of Endearment. An 89% improvement. 

Week three: dec 2, 1983: finishes 2nd with $2,659,752, $0.5 million behind Terms. A 32% drop off/

Week four: dec9, 1985: finishes sixth, $1,773,767, behind Terms and four new films: sudden Impact, Scarface, christine and Yentl. A 33% dropoff 

So, in 1983 total, a domestic gross of $13,242,970, good for 53rd place and then another $6 million in 1984. 

The inflation calculator says thats $34m + $15m in todays money. 

My opinion is: not a bomb and not a smashing succes either. Solid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am gonna slowly switch this thread to all $$$ relate things - I will test the waters with this

Per the Wall Street Journal - MGM is looking to sell its movie studio which obviously includes the film library AND all their TV titles

The studio is estimated to be worth $5.5 billion

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Didn't Turner already buy the MGM library like 30 years ago? 

Yes - but he then had to sell a large chunk of it back in 86

EDIT - Apparently Turner only kept the "classic" movies (ie: Gone With the Wind, Wizard of Oz, etc...)

Just now, odessasteps said:

Ah. IIRC, I thought acquiring the MGM library was one of the reasons he started TCM. 

Yeah - I just edited my post to say that basically he kept the "classics" and started TCM with them

That's why this sale is being pushed as acquiring the rights to the Bond franchise (among other things)

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - I just edited my post to say that basically he kept the "classics" and started TCM with them

That's why this sale is being pushed as acquiring the rights to the Bond franchise (among other things)

who is most likely?   I think Warner Bros. would make sense but I'm not sure AT&T is looking to buy more

• RIPPA changed the title to HOLLYWOOD LOVES MONEY (Box Office $$$ and Stuff)

I tweaked the thread since I really didn't want to start a new one. I figured it is easier to cover all financials here instead of weirdly leaving TV out when new shit happens.

Anyway - since James Cameron is a petty petty man, he re-released Avatar in China and it worked as Avatar passed Avengers Endgame for all time worldwide box office (not adjusted for inflation).

This will last until Endgame gets re-released and then that dance will go back and forth

• 4 weeks later...

WarnerMedia's CEO has announced that the studio will return to exclusive theater runs in 2022 (aka not releasing on HBO Max at the same time)

• 1 month later...

According to new IMAX Distribution numbers, F9’s launch in China was record-setting. The film earned $6.5 million in the IMAX box office, good for the biggest IMAX opening day in the Fast & Furious franchise and the biggest opening day ever for any Universal title in China. 

In Korea, F9 generated $160,000 of opening day IMAX box office on Wednesday, which was the highest single IMAX box office day in Korea since December 1, 2019. In Hong Kong, F9 had the second biggest day of IMAX box office for the Fast & Furious franchise, earning $56,000 despite playing on 40% fewer screens due to COVID-19 closures. 

According to Universal, the film has already broken records with the biggest International MPA opening of the pandemic, with the Fast & Furious franchise now having earned more than $6 billion globally. The estimated total for the film’s international release through Saturday is $127 million, with the weekend total set to rise as more go to see it. 

Amazon is buying MGM Studios for $8.45 Billion (its 2nd largest acquisition ever behind when they bought Whole Foods)

Amazon said it hopes to leverage MGM’s storied filmmaking history and wide-ranging catalog of 4,000 films and 17,000 TV shows to help bolster Amazon Studios, its film and TV division.

The big fallout seems to be that, obviously, the library will be moving to Amazon Prime for streaming

Do people really watch not-recent (but also not TCM style) movies on streaming services? Maybe I'm just at a point in my life between work and the kids that putting on a movie is a big commitment relative to a TV show and also one where I'm not really rewatching things I've already seen before. Traditionally, when I'd watch a movie on my TV would be when nothing was on and I saw something I liked or maybe was curious on TNT or whatever and I just tuned in midway. Or maybe if I was showing something to the 19 year old but that became harder as 1) his time became more filled with things he wanted to do over the years and 2) his younger sister got old enough to see what was on the TV. I can see watching movies for projects (like the ones here or even "let's show the 8 year old every MCU movie," but the idea of just deciding one night to pick Robocop or Raging Bull on a streaming service and watch it is so outside my life.

Depends on some's interests

I know folks who basically watch ar least one movie a day. 

Myself... I am closer to you. Generally I fill the "free" time I have with video games. My wife's #1 interest is reading.

In fact the only time I really watch "older" things is if I have a reason (like a project, usually DVDVR related or my son asks to watch)

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Do people really watch not-recent (but also not TCM style) movies on streaming services? Maybe I'm just at a point in my life between work and the kids that putting on a movie is a big commitment relative to a TV show and also one where I'm not really rewatching things I've already seen before. Traditionally, when I'd watch a movie on my TV would be when nothing was on and I saw something I liked or maybe was curious on TNT or whatever and I just tuned in midway. Or maybe if I was showing something to the 19 year old but that became harder as 1) his time became more filled with things he wanted to do over the years and 2) his younger sister got old enough to see what was on the TV. I can see watching movies for projects (like the ones here or even "let's show the 8 year old every MCU movie," but the idea of just deciding one night to pick Robocop or Raging Bull on a streaming service and watch it is so outside my life.

I'm someone who watches a lot of new and old movies, pre-pandemic it was usually 2 or 3 nights a week and during the pandemic it's 4 or 5. I don't think I've watched an episode of a network TV show in years, the few cable shows I'm interested in I usually DVR and watch at odd hours and I'll usually binge streaming shows. When it comes to older movies on streaming services it's mostly flicks I haven't seen in ages, movies for some reason I never saw, comfort flicks or films that maybe were on the festival circuit but never got picked up by a big distributor(watched a lot of these during the pandemic). 

On 5/26/2021 at 8:52 AM, RIPPA said:

Amazon is buying MGM Studios for $8.45 Billion (its 2nd largest acquisition ever behind when they bought Whole Foods)

The big fallout seems to be that, obviously, the library will be moving to Amazon Prime for streaming

It's starting to circulate that there may be a political reason to this purchase.