Jump to content

Star Trek: Picard - SPOILERS ENGAGED


Eivion
 Share

Recommended Posts

SNW continues to be so good. Too early to call it the best thing Trek has seen since DS9 for me, but if this keeps up till the end of the season I can certainly see the argument. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Eivion said:

SNW continues to be so good. Too early to call it the best thing Trek has seen since DS9 for me, but if this keeps up till the end of the season I can certainly see the argument. 

I have no problem calling it the best Star Trek thing since DS9.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching season 1 of Discovery and literally every single episode has put me to sleep, making me re-watch episodes multiple times. I'm up to the episode where Harry Mudd pops up for the second time and the Discovery is stuck in a time loop, which I think is one of the most tired Star Trek tropes. So far, I think Lorca is my favorite character, but I do know he turns heel at some point. Everyone else is just very unlikeable.

Tilly may be the dumbest fucking character to ever be in Star Trek. I mean, think back to TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, hell, even the reboot movies...Have you ever seen characters on any of those that are just this fucking dumb? Staments is right there with her too. They are both beyond annoying in how stupid they are.

My other complain is that unless you're Lorca, Saru (also annoying), Tilly, Michael, Staments, or the other guy from the Klingon ship that Lorca rescues, you're practically just filler. I can't recall another Star Trek anything where the bridge was so full of inconsequential and characterless characters. The extent of their characters is that some of them just look weird. Like, you have the cyborg looking person, the woman who has the borg looking implant, and a few other faceless, nameless dudes.

And then there's the spore drive. So they have this insane technology that lets them teleport to anywhere they want and yet this is NEVER mentioned in any other series. The Klingons never mention it, no one from the Federation ever mentions it, it's not remotely part of any lore. It's just bizarre. 

I'm going to keep trying to slog through this, but man, Discovery is actively bad. Season 1 is anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, that takes care of one thing. OH, my other big issue. Holy shit, what in the hell did they do with the designs for the Klingons? They all look like literal poop people. Their costumes suck, the makeup is fucking terrible, and the overall look and sound of them is more like Louis Gossett Jr. in Enemy Mine than typical Klingons. Plus, the subtitles whenever they speak are horrendous. All caps, a serif font, the letters are spaced out too much for each word, and the dialogue doesn't stay on screen for long enough. Everything with them is a mess. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This week's SNW is definitely setting up more conflict with the Gorn to be the new big bads for the first season... right?
That's the vibe I get

James

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Craig H said:

Well, that takes care of one thing. OH, my other big issue. Holy shit, what in the hell did they do with the designs for the Klingons? They all look like literal poop people. Their costumes suck, the makeup is fucking terrible, and the overall look and sound of them is more like Louis Gossett Jr. in Enemy Mine than typical Klingons. Plus, the subtitles whenever they speak are horrendous. All caps, a serif font, the letters are spaced out too much for each word, and the dialogue doesn't stay on screen for long enough. Everything with them is a mess. 

Yeah, the Klingon stuff in S1 is rough. The new makeup looks a lot better in S2 when they let them have hair and beards,  it's wild how much it helps. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Yeah, the Klingon stuff in S1 is rough. The new makeup looks a lot better in S2 when they let them have hair and beards,  it's wild how much it helps. 

A friend of mine told me to not worry and sent me a picture of one of them with hair and I thought, man, that's a million times better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, J.H. said:

This week's SNW is definitely setting up more conflict with the Gorn to be the new big bads for the first season... right?
That's the vibe I get

James

 

I got similar vibes thought a quick look at wiki makes that a weird idea as it seems they didn't go into full conflict for nearly a decade. Not super familiar with the Gorn as I have watched little original Trek and Enterprise, but they made them a decently scary enemy this episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strange New Worlds Episode 5 wa the weakest of the episodes so far and yet it was still awesome. The opening alone made happy (hint: music). Overall a solid episode for a non-conflict one and the fact it picked up with Enterprise having to dock for repairs after the Gorn encounter is perfect

James

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank goodness, I finally made it through season 1 of Discovery. Boy, that season was fucking bad. Really bad. Lorca it’s written as a good guy all season long who wants to win this war against the Klingons and then in the span of one episode they retcon all of that and he’s EVIL. Like, come on. It almost feels like someone else took over the series or Isaacs wanted to move on or both and that’s the best they could come up with.

 I’m only 2 episodes into season 2 and it’s so much better. Pike is awesome.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, J.H. said:

Strange New Worlds Episode 5 wa the weakest of the episodes so far and yet it was still awesome. The opening alone made happy (hint: music). Overall a solid episode for a non-conflict one and the fact it picked up with Enterprise having to dock for repairs after the Gorn encounter is perfect

James

SNW is being written by writers who get Original Trek and it's been awesome.  And yes, that music easter egg was great.

And yes, Pike is rapidly rising the list for Best Captain.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Craig H said:

Thank goodness, I finally made it through season 1 of Discovery. Boy, that season was fucking bad. Really bad. Lorca it’s written as a good guy all season long who wants to win this war against the Klingons and then in the span of one episode they retcon all of that and he’s EVIL. Like, come on. It almost feels like someone else took over the series or Isaacs wanted to move on or both and that’s the best they could come up with.

I thought Lorca felt off a decent bit of the time, and he never really came across as good guy per say despite having his moments. The reveal honestly made sense to me. 

On 6/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, J.H. said:

Strange New Worlds Episode 5 wa the weakest of the episodes so far and yet it was still awesome. The opening alone made happy (hint: music). Overall a solid episode for a non-conflict one and the fact it picked up with Enterprise having to dock for repairs after the Gorn encounter is perfect

James

That was a fun episode with some good moments. It was good to have a non-conflict episode though it came way earlier than I would have guessed.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

"Radical empathy." That was quite a Trek solution.

Continuity issues aside, the show has been fantastic. Good cast and focus on the ensemble.

Spoiler

They definitely appear to be making the Gorn the big bad of the show. I mean I get why. The Gorn are an iconic villain from the classic era and they aren't utilized very much, but it doesn't connect to their appearance years later. 

Chances are they are going to some dumb G-14 Classified redacted BS to hide all the Gorn activity, like in Discovery. 

 

That said George Kirk has proven to be pretty useless and is barely in the show at all. Not even sure why he was made part of the cast.

Edited by TheVileOne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly thought this was the weakest SNW so far. I pretty much had the BIG tWIST figured out early on. Possibly the most hamfisted writing so far.

James

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Somebody at the Goodwill I work at gifted us with the entire VHS collection of TNG episodes in special edition plastic boxes. How much you think that's worth? 

Cursory glace at eBay shows the going rate to be..  about $40.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, Discovery season 2 is so weird. There's so much good Star Trek stuff, like, "woah, we ran into this weird space thing, we need to investigate it" and then bad new Trek stuff like Section 31, whatever the fuck they're doing with EVIL~! Philippa, anytime the Klingons are on screen it's still bad, using the spore drive to halfway transport into the spore world, etc.

Even still, I love Anson Mount as Pike and I really love Tig as Reno. If I were putting together my dream crew, both of them would be on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man, Discovery season 2 is so weird. There's so much good Star Trek stuff, like, "woah, we ran into this weird space thing, we need to investigate it" and then bad new Trek stuff like Section 31, whatever the fuck they're doing with EVIL~! Philippa, anytime the Klingons are on screen it's still bad, using the spore drive to halfway transport into the spore world, etc.

Even still, I love Anson Mount as Pike and I really love Tig as Reno. If I were putting together my dream crew, both of them would be on it.

As a fanatical DS9 fan, I loved the Section 31 stuff and I love MU Phillippa. She's fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, J.H. said:

Honestly thought this was the weakest SNW so far. I pretty much had the BIG tWIST figured out early on. Possibly the most hamfisted writing so far.

James

The twist is obvious. Its more the fact they actually went through with it that was unexpected and what I liked about it. 

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Man, Discovery season 2 is so weird. There's so much good Star Trek stuff, like, "woah, we ran into this weird space thing, we need to investigate it" and then bad new Trek stuff like Section 31, whatever the fuck they're doing with EVIL~! Philippa, anytime the Klingons are on screen it's still bad, using the spore drive to halfway transport into the spore world, etc.

Even still, I love Anson Mount as Pike and I really love Tig as Reno. If I were putting together my dream crew, both of them would be on it.

 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

As a fanatical DS9 fan, I loved the Section 31 stuff and I love MU Phillippa. She's fun.

I liked the very first bit of Section 31 stuff with secret assassinations/rescues. I kind of hated the rest as the group was operating way the fuck too much in the open which goes against the very idea of them. I do love Phillippa. Yeoh was fun in the role.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...