DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

9 minutes ago, Raziel said:

https://youtu.be/wo2V1cSVj-w

LORE-! AMANDA PLUMMER AS SOME VILLIAN~! THE MOTHER FUCKING ENTERPRISE F~!

Was very excited for Amanda Plummer. That’s very surprising and excellent casting.

I fully think that Star Trek should allow it’s characters to change and develop, but I’m not sure I’m ready for pacifist Worf. 

On 10/9/2022 at 3:39 PM, Robert s said:

They got the guy who played Moriarty back in TNG? That's a rather deep cut. And I did not realize that this is the same actor who played the buttler in The Nanny.

Holy shit, neither did I. Now I want his reason for revenge being that the holocube he was put in malfunctioned, killing his true love, and he ended up in a strange holographic world with a shrill screaming woman and laughter that came from nowhere, despite nothing being funny.

And now with the help of Lore and Hunny Bunny, he's gonna get revenge. Noice.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh man, the Titan-A is a Constitution Remodel, and the score is totally a rearrangement of the Horner score.

Because it looks like we're getting a whole lot of TWoK vibes this time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Oh man, the Titan-A is a Constitution Remodel, and the score is totally a rearrangement of the Horner score.

Because it looks like we're getting a whole lot of TWoK vibes this time.

Friend of mine called it "Mass Effect: Picard" and is completely happy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

S3 of Picard is off to a good start. Stewart and Frakes have such great chemistry. Kind of like how things are going for Seven in Starfleet. It makes sense she would have such trouble, especially after basically living the past decade or so as a space cowboy. 

God the fly by of the Titan gave me such TMP vibes (y'all know me and music cues). 

Shaw basically accused Picard and Riker of being Kirk. 

Damn... that was a helluva terrorist attack. 

Was that a practical effect Runabout landing on Crusher's ship? Because that looked good

The First Contact theme over the closing credits was a nice touch

James

• Like 3

I figure whatever Rafy and Worf are chasing down is tied to whatever Vadic is after (or whatever the fuck Crusher and son were doing to piss her off in teh first place).

I am kinda over the constant "Bad guys have a fucking GIANT overloaded with weapons ship that outguns anything Starfleet has on hand" trope that Kurtz-Trek has leaned on since Berman went out doing it with the Scimitar.  I mean it somewhat worked with JJ Trek since Nero and the Narada were 150 years more advanced, but how the Shrike makes the Borg look reasonable.  I mean, what made TWoK work so well is that the fight was pretty much equal.  Khan had an advantage because of his suprise attack, not because he had something that somehow out-tech's the Quadrant's largest Superpower.  

• Like 2

To further elaborate on Picard season 3 so far, a good friend of mine is a huge fan of Trek, but even he is able to acknowledge that Discovery is pretty terrible, season 1 of Picard was just plain bad, season 2 of Picard is only looked at as a good season of TV because you're just comparing it to the utter shit of Discovery and season 1 of Picard, and Strange New Worlds is great. He was completely convinced that this season would basically be like a season of TNG and it would have a higher quality of writing. My response to him was, you're very sweet to be so trusting.

I liked S3E1 of Picard on the surface, but the more I talked about the episode with him and another friend, the more glaring the holes in the plot were and the worse I felt about the episode. Episode 2 was just really bad. I don't even know where to begin...

• Almost an hour of building to Picard saying Jack is his son and treating that as a shocking moment when it's something that was so obvious and clear to everyone.
  • Also, Jack being his son is IMPOSSIBLE. Not to get all fucking nerdy, but Star Trek Nemesis took place in 2379. Picard takes place in 2402. Jack is a dude who is probably in his late 20s. At best and most forgiving, Crusher would have to have been pregnant with Jack during Nemesis and she would have been knocked up by a 70+ year old Picard. Crusher wasn't pregnant.
  • Jack has an English accent and says French things like "mon ami" because, you see, PICARD IS FRENCH AND HAS AN ENGLISH ACCENT. Everyone says that Beverly went off the grid 20 years ago, which means Jack would have been a space baby and have no reason to have an accent unless that somehow became a genetic trait.
  • Beverly going off the grid makes no sense. It's something she would never do. It's also highly improbable to think that Starfleet would just let her steal a fucking ship and be on the run for so long. And because the writing is so shitty, Crusher, a doctor with no weapons experience, became a fucking marksman with a blaster shotgun. She executed those aliens in episode 1 with crazy precision and ruthlessness.
  • Of course, OF COURSE Worf would be the handler.
  • I'm still laughing at there only being 117 people dead from the terrorist attack. They tried to hand wave away that the building is a recruitment center, but holy shit, it's pretty fucking huge and then it was dumped on another section of the city. What, was everyone just home that day? 117 people dead is incredibly light.
  • Vadik is maybe one of the worst mustache twirling villains in Trek. I'll give her time to not suck, but right now, she really sucks.
  • I'm so beyond tired of every single bad guy ship massively outgunning Federation ships and NEVER using their weapons. Vadik is midway to 1000 ship destroying weapons on her laughably huge ship, she says she's going to blow the Titan out of space if they don't hand over Jack in an hour and she proceeds to do NOTHING after Picard doesn't give up Jack and after the Titan turns and runs.
  • What in the fuck is going on with Shaw? I was so happy to see that actor turn up because he ruled in 12 Monkeys and I liked him as Shaw, but he turned dumb really quick. He went from guy who was basically speaking as the audience and saying, "naw dog, we're not letting you blow up my ship to add to your long list of ships you've blown up," his first officer betrays him and he removes Seven from duty for insubordination, immediately reinstates her, and then turns his ship over. WHAT?! 
  • Everything is conflict for the sake of conflict.

Like, I could feel myself turning into Mr. Plinkett as the episode wore on. And somehow, because all of the characters and actors are so likeable (except Rafy), it's not completely terrible and I'll keep watching it. The writing is just so bad and the show can be better than this. At the very least, at a base level, just make this shit make sense.

I liked Sneed though. That was a fun character.

They had the perfect set-up in episode 1 for this season to finally follow-up and resimve a dangling plot thread from TNG S1 (namely, the bug aliens from Cinsouracy) and instead we get a generic as fuck villian with a giant ship Starfleet knew nothing about?

I'd rather we got a 6 episode season all about Ensign Ro!

Janes

• Like 1