DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

NWA POWERRR!
Episode 128: Keep Your Enemies Close
10/3/23 @ Nashville, TN

#1 Women's Tag Contenders:
Natalia Markova & Taylor Rising  vs.  M95
decent enough match, but it was structured a bit oddly. Markova completely dominated everybody, every time she was in the ring. Really made Taylor look inferior. the high points of the match were whenever Madi Wrenkowski was in the ring and on offense, as she was the best person involved.

Junior Heavyweight Title:
Colby Corino (c)  vs.  Matt Vine
fun match. Vine used his size and power to slow the match down and try to break Corino physically. Colby was smaller and more wiry, so relied on quickness and high-risk maneuvers. Solid action all around and worth watching.

Aron Stevens and Knox & Murdoch face off at the podium. Long story short, K&M will face BFT at the PPV in a "Medieval Knights of the Round Table Tables Match". 

Chris Silvio, Esq.  vs.  Jax Dane
this was essentially just a promo from Silvio, although there was a bit of a match i guess you could call it. came off as kind of lame IMO.

National Title:
Silas Mason (c)  vs.  Dak Draper
pretty decent match here. Silas has really developed into a great rough-and-tumble brawler. He's fun to watch. Draper is the epitome of "OK". he's got a pretty bland presentation. While he doesn't do anything that's bad, he also doesn't do anything that's great. just a guy who's just kind of there. 

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 2

NWA POWERRR!
Episode 129: When TV Stars Align
10/10/23 @ Nashville, TN

TV Title (Tournament Finals):
"Outlandish" Zicky Dice  vs.  "Big Strong" Mims
good opening video to hype this matchup. Again i want to mention that one of the strong points of the NWA is the video packages they put together (those 10 Pounds of Gold vids to kick off the Corgan era really set the table for that)
i'm surprised this is the first match aired, it really is the one that should be main eventing. Dice is one of those guys where i like about 80% of what he does, but the other 20% puts me off, so it's always a toss up on how i view his matches. Zicky controls most of the match, at least partially because he's not afraid to bend a rule or two. Mims' drive is what keeps him in the match. Decent enough match, but i feel like these guys have a better one in them, and i expect a rematch. I don't disagree with the winner, but the finish was a bit flat.

EC3 promo where he addresses Thom Latimer. He talks about raising Thom up to his rightful place. He posits that Kamille may be the one holding Thom back. It's certainly not your average promo, and I enjoyed this.

Spectaculars (Rolando & Rush Freeman)  vs.  Southern 6 (Kerry Morton & Alex Taylor)
the Specs are just so vanilla. this is a short match and the heel tactics of the S6 make it watchable. 

In-Ring Summit between the SVGS Chris Silvio, Blake Troop, and Jax Dane
Jax Dane is wearing a tie-dyed t-shirt and i didn't recognize him at first. odd choice. 
Silvio essentially kicks Dane out of the SVGS. He talks for seemingly an hour to challenge Dane to meet Troop in a Submission Match. well this certainly existed. Dane wasn't terrible, everybody else was though.

Judais  vs.  Sal the Pal
a complete and utter beatdown that is fine but goes on too long. And it caps off with some interference from (sigh) Gaagz the Gymp.

US Tag Team Titles:
Daisy Kill & Talos (c)  vs.  Country Gentlemen (AJ Cazana & mystery partner)
Cazana's new partner is AJ's little brother, KC Cazana. Danny Dealz hates on this kid getting a title match in his debut, and i can't disagree. He doesn't even have a cagematch profile.
this was a weird match. it was kind of a showcase for the champs, but also AJ took most of the beating and KC was the recipient of the hot tag, which seems backwards. But his momentum is short lived, as a chokeslam from Talos to KC leads us to the inevitable finish.
Post-match, Odinson & Kratos storm out and demand a title shot, which leads us to....

US Tag Team Titles:
Daisy Kill & Talos (c)  vs.  The Immortals
fun match that sees the Immortals match their power against that of Talos. Pretty short but fast paced. I would like to see more, which is perfect since it absolutely sets up a rematch.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 2

here's NWA tweeting a press release about the whole thing. i guess the partnership will be kicking off at NWA: Samhain at the end of the month. No more details were given.

i don't really get this, since i've never heard of Exodus Pro. Why sign a single-A feeder league when you yourself are a bottom rung AAA league (or maybe a high tier AA league)? 
Exodus Pro only debuted in August? they seem like they're actually a spin-off of the CYN "promotion"?
They make it a point to announce that the Exodus Pro champ will be recognized by the NWA, but do they even have a champ yet? 

i see this amounting to essentially nothing. Prove me wrong, Corgan. Control Your Narrative.

re: TV deal
"two totally different wrestling-related products" - what does that even mean?
"top 20 network" - can't wait to see which one that is. what kind of network signs a program like this. Last week's POWERRR! episode is sitting at 32k views. the week before has 39k. Nobody is beating down the door to watch this product. 

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

NWA POWERRR!
Episode 130: Musical Chairs
10/17/23 @ Nashville, TN

"Pick Your Poison" Match:
MechaWolf  vs.  Yabo the Clown
the winner gets to choose the stipulation for the big 6-man match at the PPV.
MechaWolf controls most of this match, since he's, you know, a good wrestler. the clown has his share of clown-based offense as well. both managers get involved, leading to more outside interference for the finish. It was better than i expected. 

Thom Latimer  vs.  Koa Laxamana
Latimer is in great shape physically. He's got good size, decent speed and movements, and is believable as an ass-kicking competitor. This guy should be a big star, but he kinda sucks at promos. And with this current angle, they seem to be trying to transfer all of Kamille's interest on to Thom. But man, for me, it is just not working. Thom feels like an afterthought for his title match.
speaking of matches, this was pretty much a squash. Thom just bullied the poor Hawaiian. But hey, they did give us a spot where Kamille speared Koa's valet, so i guess there's that. somewhat enjoyable, but predictable and unremarkable.

Women's TV Title Match:
Max the Impaler (c)  vs.  MJ Jenkins
not the quasi-squash i expected. in fact, Jenkins looked really good here. She kept Max on defense for a good majority of the match. Fun match that goes 6:05 or less, and worth checking out.

#1 National Title Contender's Match:
Zyon  vs.  Chris Adonis
Zyon comes out without Austin Idol again (according to Joe Galli he was banned from the building). But without Idol, Zyon has.....nothing? like, his whole gimmick is that he's Idol's latest protégé, but he hasn't done anything at all yet. "Sexy Jesus" aka Chris Adonis consistently feels underutilized in NWA, which is weird to say. Match is good enough, but immediately forgettable. It never really created the engagement that would've made it great. Plus the finish was lame and didn't help anybody.

man, there was just a LOT of talking on this show. We heard from EC3, Kamille, James Mitchell/Judais/Max, Sal/Gaagz, the Southern 6, and Pretty Empowered. 

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 2

and the news is breaking that NWA signed with the CW:

Haus of Wrestling has learned that the “top 20 network” Corgan refers to is The CW. Some logistics are being worked out, but an official announcement should be coming “relatively soon.” The two TV deals that Corgan mentioned are for two different NWA products that will air on The CW: NWA Powerrr and a reality TV show about the day-to-day, behind-the-scenes business of the NWA.

https://www.hausofwrestling.com/2023/10/18/billy-corgan-the-nwa-sign-two-tv-deals-with-the-cw-exclusive/

There really aren't that many other options out there that make sense that could be argued as a "Top 20 Network" unless they're going end up on ION or start doing their broadcasts in Spanish. If they end up on The CW, it'll be interesting what kind of time slot they get with affiliates having a lot of control over their non-prime time programming. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

There really aren't that many other options out there that make sense that could be argued as a "Top 20 Network" unless they're going end up on ION or start doing their broadcasts in Spanish. If they end up on The CW, it'll be interesting what kind of time slot they get with affiliates having a lot of control over their non-prime time programming. 

Probably will be similar to what WOW gets on CW. I'm in Canada so I don't know what that is

On 10/18/2023 at 9:33 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

I didn't know WOW was on CW. And I was an avid watcher until they cancelled Legends of Tomorrow.

WOW is syndicated, it just happens to air on CW stations in a lot of markets in Canada and the US- I'm able to pick up two different CW affiliates from where I live, and one programs WOW Saturday nights at 1 AM while the other programs it Sunday afternoons against the NFL - so I wouldn't exactly say it's a huge priority item in their schedule(s).

Also: is the CW not a WBD property? Kind of interesting to me (if true) that there wouldn't be any kind of AEW-related red tape

27 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Also: is the CW not a WBD property? Kind of interesting to me (if true) that there wouldn't be any kind of AEW-related red tape

Nexstar is the majority owner of it now with Parmount and WBD holding minority stakes in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

Nexstar is the majority owner of it now with Parmount and WBD holding minority stakes in it.

Thanks a bunch for the clarification. Nexstar owns a couple ABC affiliates around me (and I think has an LMA for at least one MyNetwork channel in my home market) so this is a bit of a surprise to me, I'm outta the loop

NWA POWERRR!
Episode 131: See You In Hell
10/24/23 @ Nashville, TN

EC3 & Jordan Clearwater  vs.  Kal Hero & Luscious Lawrence
Hero/Lawrence get the jobber entrance. Which is really saying something, since entrances in the NWA are only a couple seconds regularly.
the match was fine, but something just seemed off to me. can't quite place why. This was all a showcase for EC3 and Clearwater anyway. i don't know if it fully accomplished what it was supposed to, but it's not like it was actively bad or anything.

video from Violent J. the stipulation for the upcoming PPV will be a "RiddleBox Match". There will be a bunch of boxes at ringside. What's in the boxes? We'll have to see.

Knox & Murdoch  vs.  Fixers
opens with a slugging match between Murdoch and Wrecking Ball, so you know i'm in.
lots of punches, chops, forearms, shoulder blocks, and other heavy strikes. YMMV, but i loved this. 

Pretty Empowered  vs.  Samantha Starr, Ruthie Jay, & the Woad
This was pretty decent. i feel like the NWA's weakest in-ring is multi-person matches. Or maybe that's just my bias showing through. But the story of the match is usually too muddy to shine through. Rox-C comes down to ring, seemingly begging to be let back into Pretty Empowered. She gets kicked away and blindsided. I'll take that as a "no".

Magic, Inc.  vs.  P&P Connection (Mario Pardua & Jeremiah Plunkett)
my expectations for this match are directly tied to how involved CJ is. She is by far the best thing about this team's presentation. and that's not even in the Hollywood Cibernetico way, the two wrestlers are just not very interesting.
To it's credit, i enjoyed this a lot more than i expected. and CJ was barely involved! Plunkett with an early advantage with arm drags to both opponents, but the Magic boys take control and issue a beatdown on Plunkett. Pardua gets the hot tag, and we enter the finishing stretch. Yeah, i take back what i said earlier. fun match.

Knox & Murdoch backstage interview. Knox laments that they don't know who BFT are under the masks. And now he's been kicked out of his HOA and has to issue a public apology to his neighbor. But now he knows that his neighbor is not a part of BFT. HA, that was pretty great.

Blunt Force Trauma (c)  vs.  Luke Kurtis, KC Roxx, Soda Pop
they only hyped this as "BFT In Action!", and their opponents get the jobber entrance, so this is obviously more angle than match. i will also assume that it is non-title, since it is 3 vs. 2.
BFT jumpstarts the match by attacking their opponents. Aron Stevens promos/commentates via the house mic for the entirety of this match. It was a decent way to do this. total decimation. Stevens constantly threatens to put these guys through a table, but before they get an opportunity, K&M run out and a brawl ensues. 

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

Final card for tomorrow night's PPV

NWA Samhain - October 28, 2023 from Cleveland, OH

NWA WORLDS HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP NO LIMITS MATCH
EC3(c) vs. Thom Latimer (w/ Kamille)

NWA WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Kenzie Paige(c) vs. Ruthie Jay

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE TABLES MATCH
Blunt Force Trauma (Carnage & Damage w/ Aron Stevens) (c) vs. Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch

NWA WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP PILLAR TO POST MATCH
Colby Corino(c) vs. Joe Alonzo

NWA WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH
Pretty Empowered (Ella Envy & Kylie Paige)(c) vs. Natalia Markova & Taylor Rising

NWA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BURNING LAKE BRAWL
Thrillbilly Silas Mason(c) vs. Chris Adonis

SUBMISSIONS MATCH
Jax Dane vs. Blake Troop (w/ Chris Silvio)

RIDDLE BOX MATCH
Violent J & The Brothers of Funstruction (Ruffo & Yabo) vs. Vampiro & La Rebelion (Bestia 666 & Mecha Wolf)

ROCK N ROLL TAG TEAM MATCH
The Southern 6 (Kerry Morton & Alex Taylor w/ Ricky Morton) vs. The Headbangers (Mosh & Thrasher)

DEVIL'S LAST DANCE ULTIMATE HARDCORE WAR - (if Sal & Gaagz team win, they are free from James Mitchell but if they lose, they are forever under his control)
Judais, Max the Impaler, Alex Misery, & Magic Inc. (Magic Jake Dumas & Cody James) (w/ Father James Mitchell & CJ) vs. Sal the Pal, Gaagz the Gymp, Koa Laxamana, & Magnum Muscle (Dak Draper & Mims) (w/ Kallies)

Matt Cardona will appear

PRESHOW:

NWA UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH
Daisy Kill & Talos(c) vs. The Immortals (JR Kratos & Odinson)

#1 CONTENDERS MATCH
Samantha Starr vs. Missa Kate vs. Tiffany Nieves vs. Celeste

LOSER LEAVES TOWN MATCH (with Special Referee: Rolando Freeman)
Brady Pierce vs. Rush Freeman

Jordan Clearwater & The Country Gentlemen (AJ Cazana & KC Cazana) vs. Zyon & The Outrunners (Turbo Floyd & Truth Magnum) (w/ Austin Idol)

• Like 1

Pretty fun show overall with mostly shorter matches but a lot of wrestling.  Colby/Alonzo was a solid falls count anywhere match. I mark for the Headbangers, hope they stick around for more.

Good womens' tag title match, I like both teams. Kylie's finish looked great.  The Riddle Box match was a blast, all chaos. Kenzie/Ruthie made for a nice first PPV defense for Kenzie.

The Knights of the Roundtables match was hilarious, with Kyle Davis having to constantly announce "no that doesn't count because it wasn't a ROUND table!" whenever someone went through a regular table. 

Decent main event, I dig the Cardona involvement here and earlier in the night setting it up as well. 

Full results NWA Samhain PPV.

Spoiler

PRESHOW:

*Brandon Day def. Manbun Jesus (4:30) after a lariat to qualify for the NWA Exodus Pro Title Tournament. After the match, Jay Bradley faced off with Day. 

*Jordan Clearwater & The Country Gentlemen (AJ Cazana & KC Cazana) def. Zyon & The Outrunners (Turbo Floyd & Truth Magnum) (w/ Austin Idol) (6:59) when KC pinned Truth. After the match, Zyon laid out Clearwater

*Samantha Starr def. Missa Kate, Tiffany Nieves, & Chelsea (3:34) after the Starstruck DDT on Missa to become #1 contender to the women's championship.

*The Immortals (JR Kratos & Odinson) def. Daisy Kill & Talos(c) (8:57) when Kratos pinned Kill after the KTG to WIN the NWA United States Tag Team Championships.

NWA Samhain - October 28, 2023

*Judais, Max the Impaler, Alex Misery, & Magic Inc. (Magic Jake Dumas & Cody James) (w/ Father James Mitchell & CJ) def. Sal the Pal, Gaagz the Gymp, Koa Laxamana, & Magnum Muscle (Dak Draper & Mims) (w/ Kallies) (12:00) when Max pinned Gaagz after the Wasteland.

*Brady Pierce def. Rush Freeman (5:50) in a Loser Leaves Town match when Matt Cardona interfered and took out both after Rolando turned against Pierce. After the match, Matt Cardona cut a promo about how he should be in the main event, ran down Cleveland, and then called out Billy Corgan. Billy came out and argued with Cardona. Billy teased putting Cardona in the main event but then told him to go to Hell. Cardona went after Billy with a steel chair but Kamille came out through the crowd and speared Cardona. 

*Colby Corino(c) def. Joe Alonzo (9:36) after the DDT in the crowd to retain the NWA Junior Championship

*The Southern 6 (Kerry Morton & Alex Taylor w/ Ricky Morton) def. The Headbangers (Mosh & Thrasher) (7:50) when Kerry used a rollup with feet on ropes. After the match, the Headbangers laid out Taylor with the Stage Dive.

*Jax Dane def. Blake Troop (w/ Chris Silvio) (7:55) via passing out in submission.

*Pretty Empowered (Kylie Paige & Ella Envy)(c) def. Natalia Markova & Taylor Rising (7:56) when Kylie pinned Rising with Code Kylie to retain the NWA Women's Tag Team Championships.

*Thrillbilly Silas Mason(c) (w/ Ricky Morton) def. Chris Adonis (7:01) in the Burning Lake Brawl to retain the NWA National Championship

*Violent J & The Brothers of Funstruction (Ruffo & Yabo) def. Vampiro & La Rebelion (Mecha Wolf & Bestia 666) (w/ Jerry Other) (12:25) in the Riddle Box Match. 

*Kenzie Paige(c) def. Ruthie Jay (7:29) after the Kenzie Cutter to retain the NWA Women's Championship.

*Blunt Force Trauma (Carnage & Damage)(c) def. Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch (13:27) in the Knights of the Round Tables match via putting Knox through a roundtable after interference from Aron Stevens to retain the NWA tag team championships.

*EC3(c) def. Thom Latimer (w/ Kamille) (15:21) after interference from Matt Cardona, to retain the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship. After the match, Latimer sent Cardona from the ring.

• Like 2

found the PPV enjoyable overall, but very inconsistent. i wasn't in the best headspace, but i appreciated all the weird flourishes they gave the matches. Missed most of the pre-show except the Daisy Kill & Talos vs. Immortals title match.

Good:
Corino/Alonzo had some wild crowd brawling and dives. really enjoyed this one. 
Headbangers looked good enough, and i'm surprised but glad they recognized them as former NWA Tag Team champs (this would have been during the "NWA Revival" on WWF Raw in early '98, which for obvious reasons is rarely referenced). 
Thrillbilly/Adonis was better than i expected
Thom Latimer & Kamille cosplaying Macho Man & Elizabeth was awesome.

I even ended up enjoying the clowns! 

Middle:
Jax Dane/Blake Troop. didn't feel like it had the animosity that it should have. I don't think it was BAD, just lacking. 
Kenzie/Ruthie also didn't live up to expectations, but wasn't a bad match whatsoever.
BFT/K&M was a fun match with a shit finish. to have all these escalating table bumps, just to end with the same type of finish we've seen for 3 months now? bah. i second the love for Kyle Davis' increasing exacerbation at having to keep announcing that.

Bad:
the Spectaculars EXPLODE~! setup was dumb, match wasn't great. shit finish for a shit angle i guess.
Billy Corgan got to cut a babyface promo on Matt Cardona. THAT is what we really needed. 🙄

On 10/27/2023 at 1:42 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Better be a fucking framed picture of Scott Hall! 

sadly, this did not happen.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1