DVDVR Message Board

NWA (Current Version) Discussion

8 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

NWA just announced Violent J of the Insane Clown Posse will be appearing at NWA 75 to manage the Brothers of Funstruction. Looks like he'll be involved opposing Vampiro managing La Rebelion

They teased this last night by tweeting "Whoop Whoop" and the reaction from some fans fearing it was Marty Scurll was amusing, made for a relief that it was just ICP

oh what the fuck. i don't even know how to react to this news.

they also posted on facebook, in regards to a question about a fan fest, that they "have a few ideas in mind with our talent!"  but i have to think that since this event happens in less than a month, that they have no idea what they are doing. perfect for a big milestone like this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

NWA POWERRR!
8/1/23 @ Highland Park, IL

Chris Adonis  vs.  Dak Draper  vs.  Damage
it's actually Damage this time. Adonis has shaved his scruffy beard and looks much better. Glad he took my advice. This is fine. They are telling the strength (Damage) vs. speed (Draper) vs. opportunist (Adonis). Match goes less than 5 minutes, so it doesn't do anything interesting with that dynamic past establishing it. But it's inoffensive so gets a pass from me.

Submission Match:
Gaagz the Gymp  vs.  Judais
This was really dumb. match goes about 7 minutes and is basically just Judais beating on Gaagz with powerbombs and other high impact moves. Gaagz refuses to give up (because he's a sub. get it?) i challenge anyone to find a stupider submission match.

Robert Anthony & Eric Jackson  vs.  Joe Alonzo & Fodder
I'm not familiar with any of these guys, but they hyped up Robert Anthony's NWA debut here. He plays FIP for most of the match and looks good once he gets the tag (i would say "hot tag", but there wasn't much of a crowd reaction). Alonzo & Fodder actually impressed me more and i'm down to see more of them. decent little tag match here.

Women's TV Title:
Kenzie Paige (c)  vs.  Angelina Love
Angelina Love is the "Psycho Girl", but Kenzie plays that role WAY better here. While i was typing that, Tim Storm makes the same point on commentary. nice. Kenzie starts off by some good stalling, trying to whittle down that 6:05 time limit. Not much action in this one. What we saw was good, but it was really built around showcasing Paige's wiliness.

Koa Laxamana calls out Kerry Morton, which leads to:
Koa Laxamana  vs.  Silas Mason
Ricky Morton says that Koa doesn't want that "Morton Fever" and introduces Koa's new opponent. I guess there's a connection here between Kerry Morton, Silas Mason, and the Southern 6, but i don't really get it. oh well. Pretty much a showcase for Mason, who needed it after losing back-to-back matches to EC3. total squash, but Mason looked good here, so it accomplished what it needed to.

3 weeks to NWA75!

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Peck said:

Kenzie Paige deserves a WAY bigger stage than what she has now.

yes, she does. terrific character work and audience connection. has looked great in everything i've seen her in.

8 hours ago, Peck said:

Wasn't Robert Anthony "Cyon"?

Wikipedia tells me "yes". i stopped watching when the promotion went on hiatus during the pandemic, and only recently returned. the only thing i saw from Cyon was the Crockett Cup match where he lost to/was replaced by (?) a different masked guy [was it Zyon? i don't understand this angle because i missed all of the build up and it hasn't been followed up on.] but the announcers were talking about this guy making his "NWA debut" so they must not count it?

8 hours ago, Peck said:

Gaagz has been around for like a year now. lol

no wonder Aldis left.

Edited by twiztor

Robert Anthony did a podcast interview recently, talking about how he didn't like doing the Cyon character and said his heart and soul wasn't in it cause he wanted to just be himself.  I personally thought he did some great work over the past couple years.

Thirding the Kenzie Paige love! She is fantastic, on fire and keeps getting better.

NWA POWERRR!
8/8/23 @ Highland Park, IL

Missa Kate  vs.  Ella Envy
This is a "Last Chance" match, so if Envy wins the match, her team Pretty Empowered gets another shot at the tag straps, but if she loses, they will never get another chance. Envy controls much of the match, being a bit bigger and using more of the grinding wrestling type holds. Fiery comeback from Kate. Their tag partners are ringside, and that plays into the finish. A solid if unspectacular match, but i enjoyed it. 

Cody James  vs.  Anthony Andrews
oof, this one was not good. Cody James looked terrible- he looks like somebody who is used to working low level local indies, as he was overacting and nothing looked natural, crisp, or legitimate. i didn't like this one at all. 

Magnum Muscle  vs.  SVGS
this one, on the other hand, was really good. solid action, consistent character work, and great storytelling. since i started watching again, the SVGS have been underutilized and a highlight to me. Mims is very good as well. More of this, please.
we tease Jax Dane vs. Tim Storm at NWA75. sure, why not?

Odinson  vs.  "the Great" Zion (w/Austin Idol)
Zion doesn't seem particularly interesting. He wrestled a very technical style, utilizing holds and submissions to negate Odinson's power game. Odinson coaxes the crowd to get behind him for the big comeback, which somewhat works. Odinson's explosive offense works for me (and the crowd). started off too slow but turned out pretty decent.

we get a video package for Tyrus vs. EC3, which i believe is the first time Tyrus has shown up since Crockett Cup. They are having a Bullrope Match at NWA75, and if Tyrus loses, he will also retire. Well, that seems like a very quick escalation. I had to check Wikipedia, and it seems like the build is leaning heavily on their history in Impact, because it sure isn't happening here and now. Interesting choice to leave your World Champ off the show for 2 months leading into your biggest event of the year. 

Vampiro & La Rebelion  vs.  Brothers of Funstruction & Mario Pardua
i still don't get the clown team. in spite of that fact, this match was OK. a jobber like Pardua teaming with the clowns was a dead giveaway to the ending, which left little intrigue. i think the clowns could work as a lower card team that relied on more comedy bits, but putting them in serious matches with the dominant champs just diminishes both teams IMO. the action was fine but didn't really accomplish anything. 

2 Weeks to NWA75!

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 2

Tim Storm finally returning to the NWA ring! First time in a year, definitely hyped for Storm vs Jax again.

The Missa/Ella opener was my favorite from this episode, any pairing of those two teams usually delivers.

Fun to see Vampiro in ring for the first time on Powerrr. 

NWA POWERRR!
8/15/23 @ Highland Park, IL

Colby Corino & Joe Alonzo  vs.  The Southern 6 (Kerry Morton & Alex Taylor)
Alex Taylor is wearing a pretty boss NWA/Atari shirt that i hope they have for sale at NWA75 because i will buy it on the spot (they offer it on their website, but can't guarantee it will arrive before the event). damn fine match here. Kerry Morton is doing a great job as a dastardly heel, and Colby as an animated babyface is really working for me. Good action, good tension. i really liked this one.

Talos  vs.  Judais
the two biggest guys here in NWA. starts out with a power struggle but its pace crashes about 2 minutes in. i thought this had some promise, but it failed to meet expectations. a run-in from Sal the Pal and Gaagz the Gymp definitely didn't help, as that shit is stupid as hell

Interview with Thom Latimer. He's the TV champ with 6 defenses, so one more nets him an NWA World's Title match. He says "shit" three times that they bleep. He doesn't know who unlucky opponent #7 will be. i guess he's in a tag match (with Chris Adonis, against Knox & Murdoch) next week. He's speaks like he has marbles in his mouth.

AJ Cazana & Natalia Markova  vs.  "Magic" Jake Dumas & CJ
Markova just steamrolls CJ, who (kayfabe) doesn't know what she's doing. She keeps reverting to her valet mannerisms, which is funny. Dumas takes a beating, and CJ reluctantly tags in. Markova pushes her around, and CJ snaps. OK, this turned out pretty freaking awesome. this was a semi-nonsensical setup, but overdelivered in spades. CJ is a highlight of any segment she's in.

NWA hype video plays. i usually skip these, but watched this one. He mentioned that Latimer and Adonis, teaming next week, will face each other at NWA75. funny, since Latimer just mentioned 10 minutes ago that he doesn't have an opponent. I'm assuming that tag match doesn't go well for them and it leads to a match. Thanks for spoiling it, Kyle.

non NWA Women's Title match:
Kamille (c)  vs.  Kylie Paige
much more competitive than i expected, and to the match's benefit. Gave both women a chance to show what they have to offer and some character work. i enjoyed this.

Blunt Force Trauma  vs.  EC3 & Jordan Clearwater
EC3 is mentoring Clearwater, so that informs the majority of story here. They tell it well, and it's not a story beat you see often, so seemed refreshing. Competent match that accomplished what it should have. 

10 days to NWA75!

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 3

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/billy-corgan-nwa-probably-positioned-120926123.html
Billy Corgan: NWA Is Probably Positioned To Be The Next Big Wrestling Company

well, let's just say that i disagree. Billy, your program is posted on YouTube. This week's episode is sitting at 25k views. last week's is 48k. The week before is 34k. You took your show off YT post-pandemic and put it behind a paywall, and that bombed horribly. You seem to have zero networks wanting or willing to air your show (i'm not going to look for the interview now, but i think it was earlier this year that Corgan implied that YT was his last choice). 

You have zero buzz. Even here, on a wrestling message board, there's like 3 people that talk about your promotion. You're headed into your flagship annual event and have no intrigue. You're not providing any fanfare, bringing in outside talent or special attractions, and your world champion has been MIA (outside of 2 tag matches) for the better part of 3 months. 

Look, i want this product to succeed. I was all in (no pun intended) with the relaunch in 2017. But after the pandemic pause, and then making your show subscription based, and then the weird public dispute with your "face of the company" Nick Aldis, my interest is not high. And i'm even trying to keep an open mind about World Champ Tyrus (he literally hasn't shown up on Power since April or May- before my recent reintroduction). 

edit:
i finally listened to the interview that this article was written from.
in regards to the quote headlining the article above, i see where Corgan is coming from (the NWA is catering to the "casual" or "normal" fan, not specifically the diehard WWE fans or whatever). my counter argument is that his show doesn't ACTUALLY cater to that potential audience, as very little of his show has a lot of excitement or over-the-top action. i guess i just fundamentally disagree with his view of his company.

other thoughts (spoilered for length because it's like a 90 minute interview):

Spoiler
  • Corgan says that he hates "nostalgia". he claims that his NWA is not and has never been a nostalgia act, which i do understand, but i'm surprised he doesn't try to lean into that a bit more. He also then talks about the historical significance of having "unbroken legacy titles" dating back to Race, Funk, etc. feels a bit at odds to me, but ok.
  • he talks about how he views his NWA as a "business". i would be interested in hearing/seeing what his actual business plan is, becuase as-is, there's essentially zero income. Like, literally just ticket sales and merch? There's no advertising on the shows other than the standard YouTube vids, there's no outside licensing, it's literally JUST a YT show and semi-monthly tour dates. 
  • there's a long bit on Tyrus. He doubles down on defending Tyrus and dismisses any criticisms that fans heap towards Tyrus because of the Fox News deal. I get that, but he doesn't mention at all that Tyrus barely wrestles, and hasn't looked good when he does get in the ring. i know the Fox News thing is more hypersensitive, but to me as a fan, the wrestling bit is more important. And not having your champ on your show is an issue. 
  • He has a 20 year plan for the NWA. 5 years in, he feels like he is where he needs to be on the path that he set forward. "the wrestling is at the highest quality". as he continues to move away from what is/was viewed as a throwback promotion, "we're about ready to flip the switch into the more modern takes"
  • another hard disagree, as Corgan claims that NWA is running a "tougher" promotion than WWE or AEW. more hard hitting, "more physical and tougher product than anybody out there". he must be missing all of the [Blackpool Combat Club] segments from the last year or so.
  • He thinks it's "bad for business" that AEW, Impact, and NWA haven't put a singular show together so that they could rival WWE. He posits that it would be bigger than WrestleMania and that it's an actual disservice to the fans that it hasn't happened. I guess he doesn't remember how that worked out for SuperClash III. or that "Forbidden Door" was actively trying to do just that. Or that AEW is about to put on the largest wrestling show of all time (which ironically enough is on the same day as NWA75).

just in case anybody was curious, here's the seats that are still available for NWA75. This pic is for Sunday, but the Saturday show looks about the same. Also, it looks as though they cancelled the (sorta-confirmed, but not really) Fan Fest that weekend.

nwa75-tix.jpg

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

Our hosts are Gary Horne and Danny Dealz, joined by Samantha Starr.

The first 15 minutes or so are a MESS. Right away we get video calls in from the Southern 6 as well as Kyle Davis/Colby Corino/Mims.  they're passing the phone around inside their respective vans, and talking over each other, and it is just terrible. i don't recommend watching this.

the next ~25 minutes are Samantha Starr talking about her family, her history, and her outlook on wrestling. It was good.

they spend the rest of the time (so about 25ish minutes) running down the NWA 75 card and giving their (including Samantha Starr's) predictions on everything. I learned of a couple matches that hadn't been mentioned on TV (Homicide vs Joe Alonzo!) and this was generally enjoyable.

Overall, not super necessary programming, but Samantha Starr portrayed herself well and was easily the best part of everything. 

Edited by twiztor

Some watchable stuff here, including a surprise appearance by KONA REEVES(!). Haven't heard that name in years. Alfonso ref'ing in shorts made me laugh too.

Edited by Peck
  • Like 1

NWA POWERRR!
8/22/23 @ Highland Park, IL

The Spectaculars (Rush Freeman & Brady Pearce (& Rolando Freeman))  vs.  the Fixers & Matt Vine
i've said it about Natalia Markova, and now i'm saying it about Wrecking Ball Legursky-- that top is just BARELY holding things in place. no settling down needed here though. the Fixers are a rough-and-tumble tag team of larger dudes, and i'm here for it. Rolando Freeman is like the opposite of that, but always gets a good reaction, so i will not yuck the crowd's yum. fun enough match that did what it needed to.

Outrunners  vs.  Fodder & Eric Jackson
i really dig the Outrunners' '80s gear and presentation. this match, while pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, kept me entertained and had a good balance of traditional tag action and thowback hijinks.

Daisy Kill is in the ring, and issues an open challenge to the "King of the Indies". Jeremiah Plunkett answers the call, but Daisy blows him off and introduces Robert "Ego" Anthony. This turns into a match with no further words discussed. So....
No DQ Triple Threat match: Daisy Kill  vs.  Jeremiah Plunkett  vs.  Robert Anthony
this involved run-ins from Talos, Judais, and (sigh) Gaagz the Gymp. this just kind of was. i don't even have words anymore. 

Samantha Starr  vs.  Ruthie Jay
this was a quick but fun match. both women looked good and showed off what set them apart. Starr is solid and Ruthie Jay has good movements. neither of these women have any direction, so i hope that changes at the anniversary show.

2/3 Falls Match:  Thom Latimer & Chris Adonis  vs.  Knox & Murdoch
an excellent matchup of power vs. finesse early on. the power side wins out. Adonis takes offense to his partner not being there on the assist. Emotions flare, and let's just say that Kyle Davis' prediction last week of Latimer vs. Adonis at NWA75 looks very likely. this also might be the shortest 2/3 Falls match i've ever seen. 

NWA75 IS THIS WEEKEND!!

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

HP Cares for Cooper
7/8/23 @ Highland Park, IL  (posted to YouTube 8/12/23)

This was a charity show, taking place one year after the parade shooting in Highland Park. It left 7 people dead and many wounded, including 8 year old Cooper Roberts. The proceeds from this event go to help pay for Cooper's medical bills.
Joe Galli is solo on the call.

US Tag Team Titles: SVGS  vs.  Country Gentlemen (c)
this was a solid match that felt like the perfect mix between a bar fight and Shane Douglas' "the SPORT of professional wrestling" catchphrase. i liked it, although i am still waiting for the Gents to show any sort of character work. Blake Troop has his ribs taped due to "an injury from MMA" that he plays into throughout the match and leads directly to the finish once the Gents start to target them.

Ruthie Jay  vs.  Angelina Love
Ruthie Jay made this watchable. She looked much better than she did on this week's POWERRR! episode. Angelina Love didn't really present herself well here, but she wasn't terrible either. a match that was good enough. Angelina with a roll-up and she grabs the tights, but Ruthie Jay rolls through and bridges to earn the W.

Southern 6 (Silas Mason & Alex Taylor)  vs.  Joe Alonzo & Mario Pardua
Pardua really impressed me the first time i saw him, but he hasn't really lived up to that since IMO. Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been bad, but he's looked largely average. Joe Alonzo is a guy that i feel the NWA low-key has big plans for, even if his actual appearances haven't backed that up much. Thrillbilly looked huge compared to the other fellas in the ring. 
But enough pontificating, how was the match? it was fun. really got the crowd into it. the Southern 6 did a number of "inadvertently damaging your partner" that played well and added some intrigue. Alonzo & Pardua work well together and use that advantage to overcome the miscommunication and cheating of their opponents.

Knox & Murdoch  vs.  Daisy Kill & Talos
DK enters solo, with his ukelele. There's some fans(?) in the crowd with a giant "Daisy Kill Stole My Ukelele" banner. He taunts them while Talos attacks the Crockett Cup winners from behind. Knox plays FiP for most of the match, but after a hot tag to Murdoch, the momentum swings hard. a top rope bulldog from Murdoch and a clothesline from Knox takes Talos out, and then the High-Low onto Daisy Kill for the win.  Post-match, BFT attack K&M, but they are almost immediately fought away as K&M stand tall.

TV Title: Jay Bradley  vs.  Thom Latimer (c)
the vast majority of this match is spent with Jay Bradley in control. Latimer gets some flashes of comeback offense, but Bradley's power just keeps overwhelming Thom. it's technically good, and well executed, but it just doesn't capture my interest. Thom looks like he's about to start his big comeback with a powerbomb out of the corner, but gets cut off again. This is moving at a snail's pace now. Latimer ducks a clothesline and retains after a roll-up. well, that finish sucked.

NWA on Twitter: "The big day is finally here!! Thank you to all who have  already so generously supported our HP Cares for Cooper benefit show. If  you're in the #Chicago area,

Edited by twiztor

On 8/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, Peck said:

NWA vs. BRCW (Boca Raton Championship Wrestling)
BOCA vs. the World
7/19/23 @ Boca Raton, FL  (posted to YouTube 8/20/23)

Brutus "the Barber" Beefcake is the commissioner of BRCW. he hobbles to the entrance stage. He mentions a bunch of people i've never heard of. Joe Galli (doubling as bellkeeper), Kyle Davis (doubling as ring announcer), & Val Capone are behind the desk for this. The setup actually looks pretty good here. There's a large video screen at the top of the entrance ramp. Everything's more colorful. i'm only going to review the matches that interest me, but know that there is more happening here that may be of interest to you.

Island Kings (Jaka & Sean Maluta)  vs.  Knox & Murdoch
this was a pretty great match. i'm already a fan of the K&M team, but the Island Kings gained themselves a fan as well. crowd was HOT for this too. Island Kings are able to just barely hold the advantage for most of this due to the combination of their speed, power, and teamwork. They did an excellent job of mixing things up and keeping it exciting. K&M swing the pendulum back in their favor, and the High/Low nets them a victory.

TV Title:  Thom Latimer (c) vs.  Noah Kekoa [fka Kona Reeves]
according to cagematch, this is the 7th defense of the TV title, so a win here SHOULD net Latimer an NWA World Title shot.
this match was similar to the Latimer/Bradley match i watched earlier in that Thom was on the receiving end of a beatdown for a majority. That being said, this was much better than that. Kekoa had more intensity, varied up the offense, and looked like he was actually motivated to win. Latimer also kept it closer than a straight up 10 minute beatdown. Thom fights back with a pop-up powerbomb and then locks on the crossface to retain his championship. Better finish too.

Pretty Empowered (Kenzie & Kylie Paige)  vs.  Ruthie Jay & MJ Jenkins
MJ Jenkins is apparently the BRCW Women's champion, and doing some sort of "diva" character. That's a musical icon diva, not a WWE swimsuit model diva.  Pretty Empowered's tag titles are not on the line. 
every time Kenzie is in the ring, she is the star attraction. i see big things for her. But for this crowd, it's all about Jenkins. And they largely center the match around that, as the Paige sisters double team on Ruthie, but as soon as Jenkins gets the hot tag, the place pops and she cleans house. Ruthie inadvisably tags herself back in, and almost immediately eats a Kenzie cutter and a pinfall for dessert. not a long match, but enjoyable all the way through.

NWA Junior Heavyweight Title:  Alan "S2S" Martinez  vs.  Kerry Morton (c)
another great match. fast paced. Kerry has really found himself under this heel persona. this was a ton of fun. you could feel the legitimate excitement from both the crowd and the announcers, especially Val Capone. Kerry finally stops showboating and secures the victory with his running knee and a Showstopper.

Daisy Kill & Talos  vs.  Bull James [fka Bull Dempsey] & Gangrel
GANGREL!! he enters to Smashing Pumpkins' "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" and his entrance video is straight out of his WWF run.
this was fun, if nothing remarkable. Gangrel looked in better shape than i expected him to. Gangrel & Bull put Talos through a table, then Gangrel lands his Impaler DDT on Daisy Kill for the win.

i didn't expect much out of this show, but it definitely overdelivered. completely agree with @Peck that a lot of this was watchable. Check this out if you have some spare time! the YouTube ads regularly interrupt matches though, so i guess be warned on that.

• Like 3

Final cards for NWA 75 this weekend

NWA 75 Night 1 - August 26, 2023 from St. Louis, MO

NWA WORLD WOMENS CHAMPIONSHIP NO LIMITS MATCH
Kamille(c) vs. Natalia Markova

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH
La Rebelion (Mecha Wolf & Bestia 666)(c) (w/ Vampiro) vs. Blunt Force Trauma (Carnage & Damage) (w/ Aron Stevens)

NWA JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Kerry Morton(c) (w/ Ricky Morton) vs. Colby Corino (w/ Jamie Stanley)

NWA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
JR Kratos vs. Odinson vs. Thrillbilly Silas (w/ Pollo del Mar)

NWA WOMENS TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Kenzie Paige(c) vs. Max the Impaler (w/ Father James Mitchell)

THE BURKE INVITATIONAL GAUNTLET MATCH
Allysin Kay vs. CJ vs. Heather Monroe vs. MJ Jenkins vs. Ruthie Jay vs. Samantha Starr vs. Sierra vs. Taylor Rising vs. The WOAD

A MATTER OF RESPECT NO DQ MATCH
Tim Storm vs. Jax Dane (w/ Chris Silvio)

The Brothers of Funstruction (Yabo & Ruffo) (w/ Violent J) vs. Magnum Muscle (Dak Draper & Mims)

Matt Cardona's Open Challenge

PRESHOW:

JUBILEE JAMBOREE
Alex Taylor (w/ Danny Dealz) vs. Eric Jackson vs. Jack Cartwheel vs. Koa Laxamana (w/ Kallies) vs. Matt Vine

Daisy Kill & Talos vs. The Fixers (Wrecking Ball Legursky & Jay Bradley) (w/ Matt Vine)

Jordan Clearwater vs. Zyon (w/ Austin Idol)

21 Man Battle Royal for an NWA National Title shot

===

NWA 75 Night 2 - August 27, 2023 from St. Louis, MO

NWA WORLDS HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP TEXAS BULLROPE MATCH - if Tyrus loses, he must retire
Tyrus(c) vs. EC3

NWA WORLD WOMENS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Winner of Kamille/Markova(c) vs. Winner of the Burke Invitational

NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH
Winners of Rebelion/BFT(c) vs. Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch

NWA WOMENS TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH
M95 (Madi Wrenkowski & Missa Kate)(c) vs. Pretty Empowered (Ella Envy & Kylie Paige) (w/ Roxy)

NWA JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Winner of Morton/Corino(c) vs. Winner of Jubilee Jamboree

NWA TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Thom Latimer(c) vs. Chris Adonis

NWA UNITED STATES TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS MATCH
The Country Gentlemen (AJ Cazana & Anthony Andrews)(c) vs. Winners of Talos&Daisy/The Fixers

NWA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
Winner of Kratos/Odinson/Silas(c) vs Winner of Battle Royal

Homicide vs. Joe Alonzo

• Thanks 1

An enjoyable night 1 for sure!

I love Kenzie Paige so I was sad to see her lose the TV title already, she ended up pretty great in the suddenly underdog babyface role here getting mostly destroyed.  But then for this to come back around later with Kenzie winning the Burke after entering #1 was awesome! Started her night on a bad note, ended feeling starmaking. This was the best. The Burke overall was a pretty good gauntlet. Allysin and Ruthie looked good. I was wondering where Labrava Escobar had been then was cool to see she popped up here but then was gone in seconds. 

Violent J rules with the Funstruction, great fit. Homicide/Alonzo was pretty fun becoming no DQ and Homicide had some nice Funk tributes.  I had a feeling Kerry Morton was losing the Junior title, he's turned into a surprisingly effective heel. 

I had high hopes for Jax/Tim Storm and was excited to see Tim back in the NWA ring, so it was heartbreaking to see the abrupt ending. Tim's remained active elsewhere so just terrible timing to get hurt on the big one for him. 

Blunt Force Trauma theme sounds like Lex Luger's old 80s Overdrive theme. I dig them as a team, so it's cool to see them win the titles and sets up a Crockett Cup final rematch with Knox & Murdoch tomorrow.

Kamille is a highlight of every PPV and her last match with Markova was awesome so I was looking forward to the rematch. And it was AWESOME. Holy shit what a brawl. They killed each other with weapons early on and then the amazing finish looked absolutely perfect. Loved this big time. Did not expect to now be looking forward to Kamille vs Kenzie Paige after the way this show started, but definite high hopes for that now!

Full results NWA 75 Night 1

Spoiler

PRESHOW:

*Robert Anthony def. Magic Jake Dumas (5:43)

*Daisy Kill & Talos def. The Fixers (Jay Bradley & Wrecking Ball Legursky) (7:18) when Talos pinned Legursky to earn an NWA US Tag Title shot on Night 2.

*Zyon (w/ Austin Idol) def. Jordan Clearwater (5:41) via submission

*Jack Cartwheel def. Alex Taylor (w/ Danny Dealz), Eric Jackson, Koa Laxamana (w/ Kallies), & Matt Vine (6:30) in the Jubilee Jamboree via pinfall on Jackson to earn a Junior Title Shot on Night 2.

NWA 75 Night 1 - August 26, 2023

*Max the Impaler (w/ Father James Mitchell) def. Kenzie Paige(c) (6:43) after a lariat to WIN the NWA Women's TV Championship

*Thrillbilly Silas Mason (w/ Pollo del Mar) def. Odinson & JR Kratos (9:16) after the Thrill Ride on Odinson to WIN the vacant NWA National Championship. During the match, Silas laid out Pollo del Mar.

*Joe Alonzo def. Homicide (10:04) in a No DQ match via sitdown on a victory roll with tights pulled

*The Brothers of Funstruction (Ruffo & Yabo) (w/ Violent J) def. Magnum Muscle (Dak Draper & Mims) (6:15) after the Whoop Whoop Driver on Mims

*Kyle Davis interviewed TV Champ Thom Latimer about his 7th defense against Chris Adonis tomorrow and his wife defending in tonight's main event.

*Colby Corino (w/ Jamie Stanley) def. Kerry Morton(c) (12:13) after a DDT to WIN the NWA Junior Championship.

*Jax Dane (w/ Chris Silvio) def. Tim Storm (3:10) via ref stoppage after a belly to belly suplex left Storm unable to get back up after a stinger in his shoulder/neck. 

*Kenzie Paige won The Burke Gauntlet Invitational (14:51) to earn an NWA Women's Title Shot on Night 2
-Samantha Starr pinned Taylor Rising after the Starstruck DDT
-Kenzie eliminated Heather Monroe via over the top rope
-Allysin Kay eliminated CJ via over the top rope
-Kenzie eliminated Labrava Escobar via over the top rope
-Max the Impaler eliminated MJ Jenkins after press slamming Kenzie onto her
-Max eliminated The WOAD via over the top rope
-Max eliminated Sierra via submission
-Kenzie, Allysin, & Ruthie Jay eliminated Max via pinfall from all three.
-Allysin eliminated Ruthie via over the top rope
-Kenzie eliminated Allysin via over the top rope

*Matt Cardona def. Ricky Morton (5:28) with Radio Silence after a low blow.  After the match, Cardona looked to attack with a steel chair but Kerry Morton & Alex Taylor ran him off.

*Blunt Force Trauma (Carnage & Damage) (w/ Aron Stevens) def. La Rebelion (Mecha Wolf & Bestia 666)(c) (w/ Vampiro) (9:20) when Damage pinned Mecha Wolf after Carnage used a leg lariat while the ref was down, to WIN the NWA World Tag Team Championships. After the match, The Brothers of Funstruction & Violent J came out and faced off with La Rebelion & Vampiro.

*Kyle Davis hosted the Weigh In for EC3 vs Tyrus tomorrow night. EC3 weighed in at 231.7 lbs and Tyrus weighed in at 375 lbs. Tyrus dedicated tomorrow night to Windham Rotunda.

*10 Bell Salute for Terry Funk.

*Kamille(c) def. Natalia Markova (15:39) after the Spear off the apron through a table to RETAIN the NWA World Women's Championship

i second everything you said, except that i was pumped for La Rebelion/Knox and Murdoch. but oh well. was surprised to see as many titles switch as we did. expected Kerry to retain but happy Corino won.

will post my full thoughts on both nights Monday when i get home. do i smell a ROAD REPORT~! coming?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh brother that was bad. I'm sure Tyrus told them this was going to be his last match but they should have made it a shorter match. The old Funkasaurus looks like he will be in a wheelchair by the end of the year. Now I guess we get to prepare for the epic EC3 vs Thom Latimer feud. Smashing Pumpkins better plan a few more tours to make some money for this shitshow. These cards are so bloated with matches and wrestlers. I'd love to know how much he's losing. Day 1 of NWA 75 had something like 12 more wrestlers and managers than what they used at Day 1 of Wrestlemania. 

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt
  • Haha 1

Digging all the additions to the card. Markova vs Taylor Rising on the preshow was an awesome follow up for Markova after last night and Taylor looked really good too, definitely would like to see more. 

Latimer/Adonis was a solid main show opener. I always love the Pretty Empowered/M95 matchups, the finish here felt super abrupt like Madi gets the hot tag and then it was over, but cool win for Ella & Kylie. 

Jack Cartwheel was impressive, reminds me of Action Andretti. Went in figuring he had no chance, but by the end I was wanting him to win it. 

Nice to see Ruthie Jay get another chance to shine a little bit, she's good.  

I assumed Kerry Morton vs Cardona was gonna mean Kerry was suddenly going back face after last night, but somehow the opposite happened and Cardona was the face here.  Big win for Kerry. 

Dug the tag titles match. Thought Murdoch was gonna take it with the diving bulldog, especially when they talked about Murdoch always winning at the Anniversary show. Joe Galli's outrage at the result was great.

KENZIE PAIGE! I couldn't believe it, the epic reign is over, but what a match again from both.  Incredible moment and felt like the right time/person to finally end the Kamille reign. Kamille's run was legendary and she was a consistent showstealer. Thrilled for Kenzie to be the one.  The closing shot with all 3 of Pretty Empowered now with the titles was awesome.

EC3 looking more like his old self. I was digging his recent theme but cool that he was using an instrumental remix of his old TNA music. Surprised to see Tyrus tap out to end it. We will miss you TYRUS!  May the EC3 Era begin.

Full results NWA 75 Night 2

Spoiler

PRESHOW:

*Jordan Clearwater def. Truth Magnum, Turbo Floyd, Jax Dane, Blake Troop, Gaagz the Gymp, Sal the Pal, Joe Alonzo, Robert Anthony, Magic Jake Dumas, Cody James, Mims, Dak Draper, Matt Vine, Wrecking Ball Legursky, Jay Bradley, Rush Freeman, Brady Pierce, Judais, Koa Laxamana, Zicky Dice, Zyon, & Rolando Freeman (15:57) last eliminating Zyon to earn an NWA National Title Shot

*Natalia Markova def. Taylor Rising (6:04) after the Beautiful Disaster

*Daisy Kill & Talos def. The Country Gentlemen (Anthony Andrews & AJ Cazana)(c) (7:24) when Daisy pinned Andrews after Talos used a chokeslam to WIN the NWA US Tag Team Championships. After the match, The Immortals (Odinson & JR Kratos) came out to face off with the new champs. 

NWA 75 Night 2 - August 27, 2023

*Thom Latimer(c) def. Chris Adonis (10:00) via crossface submission to RETAIN the NWA Television Championship. As a result, Latimer completes 7 TV Title defenses and can cash in for a shot at the world title.

*Pretty Empowered (Ella Envy & Kylie Paige) def. M95 (Madi Wrenkoswki & Missa Kate)(c) (7:48) when Kylie pinned Madi with a code red to WIN the NWA Women's Tag Team Championships

*Colby Corino(c) (w/ Jamie Stanley) def. Jack Cartwheel (10:25) after the DDT to RETAIN the NWA Junior Championship

*Max the Impaler (w/ Father James Mitchell) def. Ruthie Jay (5:49) after the lariat to RETAIN the NWA Women's TV Championship

*La Rebelion (Mecha Wolf & Bestia 666) (w/ Vampiro) def. The Brothers of Funstruction (Ruffo & Yabo) (w/ Violent J) (8:06) when Mecha Wolf pinned Yabo with a frog splash after interference from Vampiro. After the match, they laid out Violent J, then Vampiro shoved a pie in his face. 

*Kerry Morton def. Matt Cardona (9:22) with the Showstopper after a low blow

*Thrillbilly Silas Mason(c) def. Jordan Clearwater (7:04) after the Thrillride to RETAIN the NWA National Championship

*Blunt Force Trauma (Carnage & Damage)(c) (w/ Aron Stevens) def. Mike Knox & Trevor Murdoch (11:42) when Carnage pinned Murdoch after Aron used a loaded glove to RETAIN the NWA World Tag Team Championships.

*Kenzie Paige def. Kamille(c) (13:11) with the Kenzie Cutter after Kamille hit an exposed turnbuckle, to WIN the NWA World Women's Championship

*10 Bell Salute to all wrestlers who have passed this year.

*EC3 def. Tyrus(c) (17:27) via The Purpose with the bullrope submission to WIN the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship. Afterwards, Tyrus gives his retirement speech to end the show.

Edited by DreamBroken