Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?


Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Recommended Posts

@J.T. thanks pal. 

My shift changed at work im sorry I missed the deadline this week so I'm adjusting. I did watch the match. Terry Funk literally shows ass. I t is held in a packed baseball stadium in Puerto Rico. 

it was a welcome relief from the madness, sorry for being late. I will do better this week thanks mattd  for granting me in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck my state supreme court. Fuck the US Supreme Court. All this is going to do is get more people in Wisconsin killed who are dumb enough to actually vote in person during a pandemic and no one who matters seems to care beyond the governor and some mayors.

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong: that ruling is absolute garbage and transparently partisan. But, if you can go grocery shopping, why can't you go vote? Seriously.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Grocery stores and polling places aren’t comparable though. Most states never have enough stations to adequately service the voters in the best of times. They also don’t have the resources and staffing to manage a large gathering of people while enforcing the safe distance measures like a grocery story or big box store. When I go to Target in the morning before it opens there is a line of people all the way down the sidewalk in front of the building, but it’s maybe only twenty people long because of the six feet guidance. How do they accommodate something like that in a voting station 1/5 that size? Or for that matter, when there already isn’t going to be enough volunteers or staff to just manage the typical stuff, who’s going to sanitize the voting booths after each person uses it? Voting in America is intentionally made into a logistical nightmare for the people operating it and the voters so that we’re demoralized, and this is just more of the same. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Control said:

Don't get me wrong: that ruling is absolute garbage and transparently partisan. But, if you can go grocery shopping, why can't you go vote? Seriously.

Because there's only 5 voting places open for 180k people.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The entire issue is that businesses cannot be open safely right now. 

The response should be "prevent the deaths of thousands" for the foreseeable future. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Fuck my state supreme court. Fuck the US Supreme Court. All this is going to do is get more people in Wisconsin killed who are dumb enough to actually vote in person during a pandemic and no one who matters seems to care beyond the governor and some mayors.

Meanwhile, the US Supreme Court delayed all oral arguments this month. Safety precautions for them, but the plebs need to line up and get in that booth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

It really seems like the response should shift to how to open back businesses and what-not somewhat safely.  Trying to keep people locked up is going to fail pretty quickly.  

That's the polar opposite of what they want to do. Doing that now would just lead to it breaking out much worse and increase death like crazy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Control said:

 

They have nowhere else to go and when people want to vote they damn well will vote, so this is not surprising. In states that try to make voting as hard as humanly possible(for obvious reasons if you don't know them) you see lines for hours in every election.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ryan said:

That's the polar opposite of what they want to do. Doing that now would just lead to it breaking out much worse and increase death like crazy.

Possibly, but what Europe and the US are finding out is that the longer and more restrictive the lockdown, the more people ignore it.  I used to live on the West Coast and have a lot of friends in Seattle and SF texting me pics or posting pics on social media of people going out and opening businesses, going shopping, etc.  Sounds like much the same in Italy.  People are going out and ignoring the stay at home order.  

Personally, I think Trump extended to social distancing recommendation through May, then there's some sort of attempt to get people back to work.  Not sure how successful it will be, but they might need to try it.  The reality is that the world economy is burning every day while people shelter in place.  At some point very soon, society needs to get back to some sort of functionality, or Super Great Depression of 2020 will kill more people through poverty and starvation that the virus.  Saw a report today that suggested even a short nationwide shutdown will put one of of every 5 conglomerates out of business and 3/4 of all small business.  

FWIW, even Dr. Fauci  concedes we probably won't totally get back to normal without a vaccine, but that society needs to get back to functioning very soon. 

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

At some point very soon, society needs to get back to some sort of functionality, or Super Great Depression of 2020 will kill more people through poverty and starvation that the virus.  

I sure hope this concern for the poor and starving and mentally ill continues once the economy is roaring again and we don't just go back to ignoring the plight of the useless eaters. Forgive me if I'm somewhat cynical about some of the voices who are suddenly very uncharacteristically worried about the most vulnerable. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Possibly, but what Europe and the US are finding out is that the longer and more restrictive the lockdown, the more people ignore it.  I used to live on the West Coast and have a lot of friends in Seattle and SF texting me pics or posting pics on social media of people going out and opening businesses, going shopping, etc.  Sounds like much the same in Italy.  People are going out and ignoring the stay at home order.

I can completely confirm this. We are in week four of lockdown here (in Austria), and during weeks 1 and 2, the streets were just empty, but in the meantime, at least during the day, there is almost no difference to the usual state anymore. I mean there are no shops or restaurants opening when they should not, but social life is definitely picking up again. At least numbers of new infections have dropped quite a lot over the last couple of weeks (2 - 3 % increase in total infections per day now, and active infections are actually dropping) and yesterday the Austrian government announced that some shops will open next Tuesday with most of the rest following on May, 1st (restaurants & bars will stay closed longer, for now the talk is middle of May if I got it right, and public events are cancelled unti the end of June).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Control said:

 

I will never complain again that polls here are only open on Sunday from 8 AM until noon (that noon part is actually just my state, in the rest of Austria polls are open until 5 PM), as I don't think I ever had to wait for more than 10 minutes in line.

Edited by Robert s
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest The Magnificent 7
25 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I sure hope this concern for the poor and starving and mentally ill continues once the economy is roaring again and we don't just go back to ignoring the plight of the useless eaters. Forgive me if I'm somewhat cynical about some of the voices who are suddenly very uncharacteristically worried about the most vulnerable. 

Do you have any self-awareness at all?  How the fuck do you know what this guy does or does not do for vulnerable people. Johnny fucking Philanthropy from bumfuck Canada just wants to lecture us all on politics. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I sure hope this concern for the poor and starving and mentally ill continues once the economy is roaring again and we don't just go back to ignoring the plight of the useless eaters. Forgive me if I'm somewhat cynical about some of the voices who are suddenly very uncharacteristically worried about the most vulnerable. 

Actually, until the stay at home order, my wife and I have volunteered for multiple organizations.  We've both been volunteering for a local hospital for about ten years now.  In the past 15 years, we've volunteered for a lot of different departments at the hospital, worked in a Rape & Domestic Violence shelter, sat on the board of same shelter, volunteered for the local united way, fostered animals for a rescue group, volunteered for another animal rescue group, shelved books and fund-raised for the local library, volunteered a lot for the private high school our kids attended.  I'm sure I'm forgetting things.  I generally volunteer about 300 hrs. a year.  Wife volunteers 500-800 on average.

Oh, until last September, I did a weekly shift at a local hospitality house (basically, it's a hotel for low-income people who have to travel at least 100 miles and stay near the local hospital long-term, either because they have appts. at the hospital or have a family member in the hospital long-term).

We also donate to most of the groups we volunteer for, as well as a few others.

Bad Boy misses my point anyway.  If economies collapse - from local to world - most of us will be poor and starving.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Do you have any self-awareness at all?  How the fuck do you know what this guy does or does not do for vulnerable people. Johnny fucking Philanthropy from bumfuck Canada just wants to lecture us all on politics. 

I'm more responding to the general sentiment of the people boosting that message rather than anything @Tarheel Moneghetti specifically does or doesn't do, and apologize if it came off as a personal attack -- wasn't meant to be. I've just got a burr in my ass from the people aggressively pushing everyone to get back to work. Lots of people who would normally only prescribe bootstraps for any problems I may be experiencing are suddenly really empathetic when it's about trading lives because their investments took a hit. 

Anyway, I don't remember telling anyone here I live in the bumfuck part of Canada. I ought to report you for doxxing. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Actually, until the stay at home order, my wife and I have volunteered for multiple organizations.  We've both been volunteering for a local hospital for about ten years now.  In the past 15 years, we've volunteered for a lot of different departments at the hospital, worked in a Rape & Domestic Violence shelter, sat on the board of same shelter, volunteered for the local united way, fostered animals for a rescue group, volunteered for another animal rescue group, volunteered a lot for the private high school our kids attended.  I'm sure I'm forgetting things.  I generally volunteer about 300 hrs. a year.  Wife volunteers 500-800 on average.

Oh, until last September, I did a weekly shift at a local hospitality house (basically, it's a hotel for low-income people who have to travel at least 100 miles and stay near the local hospital long-term, either because they have appts. at the hospital or have a family member in the hospital long-term).

We also donate to most of the groups we volunteer for, as well as a few others.

Bad Boy misses my point anyway.  If economies collapse - from local to world - most of us will be poor and starving.

Yeah, as I said, didn't mean to come off as attacking you personally. Just have a burr in my ass about the topic to begin with.

Re: the economy, we're some degree of fucked anyway. Opening everything up aggressively and letting the bodies pile up will only exacerbate the problem in the long run. Our options are between shitty and shittier. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Magnificent 7 said:

No shit you have a burr in your ass about politics. Like I said, zero self-awareness. 

I can get you screen caps with arrows pointing to the report and ignore features. I think they'd really improve your user experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest The Magnificent 7
5 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Actually, until the stay at home order, my wife and I have volunteered for multiple organizations.  We've both been volunteering for a local hospital for about ten years now.  In the past 15 years, we've volunteered for a lot of different departments at the hospital, worked in a Rape & Domestic Violence shelter, sat on the board of same shelter, volunteered for the local united way, fostered animals for a rescue group, volunteered for another animal rescue group, shelved books and fund-raised for the local library, volunteered a lot for the private high school our kids attended.  I'm sure I'm forgetting things.  I generally volunteer about 300 hrs. a year.  Wife volunteers 500-800 on average.

Oh, until last September, I did a weekly shift at a local hospitality house (basically, it's a hotel for low-income people who have to travel at least 100 miles and stay near the local hospital long-term, either because they have appts. at the hospital or have a family member in the hospital long-term).

We also donate to most of the groups we volunteer for, as well as a few others.

Bad Boy misses my point anyway.  If economies collapse - from local to world - most of us will be poor and starving.

None of this matters unless you vote how West Newbury Badboy wants you to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest The Magnificent 7
1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I can get you screen caps with arrows pointing to the report and ignore features. I think they'd really improve your user experience. 

What would improve my experience is you following the rules pertaining to politics and not sounding like a complete douchebag thinking you are a genius for using plebs in a sentence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Yeah, as I said, didn't mean to come off as attacking you personally. Just have a burr in my ass about the topic to begin with.

Re: the economy, we're some degree of fucked anyway. Opening everything up aggressively and letting the bodies pile up will only exacerbate the problem in the long run. Our options are between shitty and shittier. 

I really didn't take it personally.  Someone else made it out to be a personal attack and I thought maybe I missed something.

Re: the economy.  Yeah, I think we're probably fucked.  IMO, a worldwide "Great Depression" will probably utlimately kill more people than the virus.  I'm hoping we can reboot more quickly than I think and avoid the worst of it, but I work in financial services and am not optimistic.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...