DVDVR Message Board

MLW Deserves Its Own Thread

I like the idea of breaking up CONTRA.  The stable is getting past its freshness date so shaking things up is good, especially if Azteca Underground is supposed to transition to the dominant heel stable in the company.

Personally, I think Jacob Fatu is on his way to WWE and this is his exit strategy.  He'll get more mileage joining Roman Reigns and the Samoan Family than he will working in AEW, I think.

Edited by J.T.

I would not be surprised if RoH joins MLW and Jonathan Gresham's newly announced fed in offering free agents appearance bonuses rather than signing non-title holders to long term contracts.  With the growing number of WWE releases and indy guys looking to build a name for themselves, it seems to be the ideal way for indie feds to stay alive and for workers to gain exposure.

Edited by J.T.

Random thoughts on MLW this week:

- Is it some sort of inside joke or something that every woman in MLW is labeled a Featherweight? Examples: this is not a slam or ANY knock on Willow Nightingale. Wrestling needs and is for ALL body shapes, sizes, etc. And I really enjoy Willow's work. But she's not a Featherweight the same as you wouldn't call Bear Boulder a Featherweight/Cruiserweight/etc. Same with this new tag that debuted this week, the "Top Dogs". They are thicc as all fuck. And that's totally awesome. But it's almost an insult to them to classify them as Featherweights the same as it would be to call my 6'2", 235 lb slightly-chubby ass a Featherweight.

- The referee in the Main looks just like a Hebner. Like maybe Brian Hebner's underprivileged cousin. It's uncanny. 

Edited by Peck

HEY! Davienne in MLW!  TJP/Davey Richards is really good.  Why did people hate Davey Richards?  I wasn't paying attention back then.  And KC Navarro/Warhorse was good.

I think that the heat Davey has earned over the years is mostly back room.  I remember Ethan Page's interview on a podcast back in 2017 about how Richards no showed an appearance for Page's Alpha 1 promotion in Canada and didn't give a reason.  I'm not sure if there were scheduling conflicts (I think Davey still has his day job as an EMT) but he never got on the plane to go and work the dates.  He's got a reputation for being very unprofessional.

Fans give him the business about his INTENSITY~! but I can overlook that a little because that's part of his gimmick.  I think Davey's tendency to no sell is problematic and I also hated it when he tried to work in every single spot he knew in a match. 

Davey really seemed to get his shit together when he was in the American Wolves.  He was still INTENSE~!, but being in a tag-team forced him to reel himself in and I believe he finally started to "get it" when it came to match pacing and psychology.  The Davey Richards in the Opera Cup is nothing like the Davey Richards from the early days of RoH that single handedly created the Johnny Kickpads stereotype.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 11:46 AM, Curt McGirt said:

So they are bringing in 

Reveal hidden contents

Enzo

Oh boy. 

Yeah..

Spoiler

Controversial he may be, nZo was cleared of the charges so I suppose I am in favor of him getting a chance to resume his wrestling career.

I am confident he will find a way to fuck up and I am sure watching him get his ass beat will not get old.  Hopefully he challenges Alex Kane for the Openweight title so I can see him get suplexed out of his boots for a week or two.

MLW really is the island of misfit toys.

Court must have been that one kid, that when you went to his house all his toys were broken.  “Hey let’s have a fight between Optimus Prime with a missing leg and Ultimate Warrior with his arms removed”.  Also, Teddy Hart would just continually be at Courts house for some reason.

• Haha 2

JT watches wrestling while on night duty. 

Aramis vs. Arez 2 was not as good as the first match, but in some ways it was better for different reasons.  That probably makes no sense.

nZo vs. Matt Cross was surprisingly solid, but the end was garbage because nZo's finisher is shit.  I recommend a simple DDT.  nZo at least has the good taste to fall on his head a lot and bleed hardway.    I love the disdain shown by the MLW crowd.  Bandido and Rush are up for grabs and MLW signs nZo.  I hate it for you, guys.  nZo's after match attack on KC Navarro puts him into my good books for the time being.  If you're gonna be a douchebag, be a gigantic and unapologetic douchebag.

The comedy gold of Richard Holiday is the gift that keeps on giving.  

Los Parks vs. 5150 was fucking crazy.  I am glad that someone remembered that Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are mortal enemies.  The vignette where 5150 nearly missed the match because they were about to rob one of the backstage guys for his sneakers was king sized.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Aramis vs. Arez 2 was not as good as the first match, but in some ways it was better for different reasons.  That probably makes no sense.

That is like the strangest match I've seen in a while.  I didn't understand the style.  It wasn't your usual high-end lucha matwork, it was just oddly intricate.  I really dug it.

• Like 1

The first Arez/Aramis match in Fusion was one of my favorite matches all year. This one had miscommunications, but it also had some good wrestling and wild spots. They’re great together because they know exactly how far to take their exchanges and counters before kicking it into another gear and beating the piss out of each other. 

Loved Los Parks’s fat twin magic.

Julius Smoke rules. “Think of your grandma. She loves you. She loves you!”

• Like 1

Card for MLW Alpha tomorrow night:

• World Middleweight Championship: Tajiri (C) vs. Atsuki Aoyagi
  • LA Park vs. Homicide
  • Willow Nightingale vs. Holidead

Looks like Hammerstone's next feud / title defense will be against Matanza.  Hoping that Jeff Cobb is still under the mask, but it could be anybody.

This may be MLW's carniest episode yet.

• Willow Nightingale brings in THE BLUE MEANIE to counter Holidead's growing stable but is it enough.
  • LA Park vs. Homicide was a solid match but a little tame for my liking.  Needed more chairs and shit.
  • Calvin Tankman calls from jail.  I miss segments like these.
  • Vignette for Psycho Clown.  Very creepy.
  • Taijiri defends the Middleweight title in AJPW against Aoyagi!  Awesome!  Hopefully AJPW will loan more talent to MLW shows in the US.
Edited by J.T.

Weirdly good episode.  I dig that they are building a faction around Holidead.  LA Park did a fucking tope onto Homicide on a chair even though he is one year older than ME and thus the LA Park match fucking ruled.  Tajiri/ Aoyagi was awesome because it was a stark contrast to the sleaziness of the rest of the MLW broadcast.  I AWAIT THE GLORY THAT IS ROK-C!