DVDVR Message Board
Raziel

NJPW G1 Climax 28, LIVE AT THE BUDOKAN! 7/14-8/12

21 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

1) Didn’t that Elgin loss feature, in immediate succession, a powerbomb into the barricade followed by a powerbomb on the apron followed by a sitout powerbomb in the ring? And then Naito kicked out! I really try not to treat pro wrestling like it has hit points, but at a certain point dead is dead. 

2) Regarding Yoshihashi, I wonder how much him being a dojo product means he’s got a steady job for as long as he wants it. Part of New Japan’s continued success depends on the creation of in-house talent, and I suppose you attract better prospects with a higher ceiling and floor both. And since we’re already in an era where Kenny, Kota, and Okada (to say nothing of SANADA, ZSJ, etc) trained elsewhere... Anyway I don’t disagree, but I’d be surprised if he goes anywhere. Someone has to eat those tag pins.

Yes to the Elgin/Naito match. I remember being blown away by it all and I'm pretty sure he hit a Burning fucking Hammer too. It's like, yeah great match, guy, but you've got nowhere to go from here. He completely lacks the context of what made All Japan's 4 pillars so great. To butcher Ian Malcolm's great lines, he stands on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as he can and is more preoccupied with whether he could, he doesn't think if he should be doing half the shit he does. 

Now he can swallow that L. 

RANDOM NOTEZ:

Man, Suzuki is looking every bit of 50 in this White match and Jay is feather light with him compared to how he was with his recent opponents. At least Minoru bumped around for Jay's offense to the best of his abilities. Jay also really put over everything MiSu did, sometimes to a comical degree. Fine match but there was some awkwardness and it was 10 minutes. I'd like to maybe see a title match down the line and I hope this is Suzuki being a beat up 50-year-old vet not killing himself in the middle of the G1 and not his level of physicality moving forward.

How much shit can a Yota Tsuji take? He seems to be the young lion that always gets picked on and he really contorts his face then sells everything to the Nth degree. It's fabulous. Zack in particular goes looking specifically for poor Yota.

Page/Tanahashi wasn't particularly good and felt very much like just a match. The main event was good but there's only so much they can do. I'm pretty well over A block outside of Jay fucking around with people, Suzuki vs. Okada (somehow I have little hope it'll come close to last year's all-time classic), and Tanahashi vs. Okada. The show on the 27th has Okada vs. YOSHI-HASHI as one of the main promoted matches. O_O Help us.

This four day break is going to leave me feeling empty. No World Cup, no G1, no NBA or Premier League and I'm still on summer break for like a month (not complaining about that part!). I'll keep catching up on  the last of the Dontaku shows/BOSJ I guess. Maybe watch/rewatch last year's final after being too heartbroken to do so (watched every single god damned match and tried to stay up for the final live. Passed out shortly after the table piledriver botch and woke up to the final Destino. Was simultaneously livid and crestfallen). Thankfully, this is the last long break even though they aren't doing much traveling now, just up to Niigata. They have a couple of 8+ hour bus rides later on down to Shikoku and Kyushu, but there are only two two-day breaks after this one. Everything else is broken up by single off days or it's back-to-back, baybee.   

Unrelated random note: the Wikipedia editors went on a rampage and deleted the "in wrestling" sections from every bio on their site only keeping championships because moves and such were difficult to cite, despite widespread negative feedback. Those sections were such an easy way to find info. What's that corkscrew suplex that Jay White uses called? Didn't Goldust use it for a while? Who else? My memory is going to shit.