DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (With 100% More Cages Suspended From Above Like Wrestling Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

26 minutes ago, twiztor said:

well that chuck-tito fight went almost exactly as expected...

In the history of combat sports, very few fighters have ever been as washed up as Chuck Liddell. He got hit with a light straight right, fell backwards with his eyes open staring at Tito, and then just slumped over like a drunk man onto the canvas. Just bizarre all around. 

In comparison, Dewey Bozella was wrongly convicted, spent several years in prison, was finally exonerated and released, made his pro boxing debut at age 52 on the undercard of Hopkins-Dawson I, and looked better than Chuck Liddell did tonight. Bozella moved very slowly, but Liddell looked like he just woke up from a week long bender and someone told him he had to go into a cage and fight a half hour after coming to.

I'm far from Dana White's biggest fan but every fucking word he said about that scumbag De La Hoya was 100% spot on. Using Chuck was a level of disgusting on par with Ali being prostituted at the end of his career.

5 hours ago, sabremike said:

I'm far from Dana White's biggest fan but every fucking word he said about that scumbag De La Hoya was 100% spot on. Using Chuck was a level of disgusting on par with Ali being prostituted at the end of his career.

The issue here is I'm pretty sure the last time De La Hoya heard of MMA and any star tangentially related to MMA was around 2008 and slightly before that when you had that talk of boxing dying and MMA taking over. Plus, the whole Affliction MMA debacle but he was just likely used as a face w/ Trump. I wouldn't put too much stock in the latter as far as him following MMA.

Who was one of the biggest stars of MMA then? Chuck Liddell. Who is available for what Oscar thinks is a money grab? Chuck Liddell. I don't know what separates Oscar from any major money mark in MMA from the last 10 to 15 years. Oscar ain't exactly the best boxing promoter either. I've covered this in the boxing thread but Golden Boy literally has one star subsidizing his promotion, Canelo Alvarez. It's likely that he even got him illegally because Canelo was still under contract to Tuto Zavala's All Star Boxing when he first showed up in Golden Boy underneath Mayweather vs. Mosley in 2010. Based on how Golden Boy hasn't created many stars since then and former Golden Boy COO David Itskowitch failing miserably with Roc Nation Boxing, I would say the brains behind Golden Boy's rise and then associating themselves co-promoting Floyd's record breaking PPV fights was Richard Schaefer who is basically Swiss Dana White only slightly less volatile (he did wish Bob Arum would die so there is that) and arguably a more articulate carnival barker. Schaefer and De La Hoya had their falling out a few years back and Golden Boy has done diddly squat since. I don't think that's a coincidence just like I don't think De La Hoya running a MMA event is a coincidence. He is looking for a new revenue stream. He is going to figure out MMA ain't it when those numbers roll in. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 8:03 PM, OSJ said:

Assuming that I was the only one watching CES 47 yesterday, y'all may have missed a glimpse of something special... Write down "John Douma" on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope for one year. Let's have a look 12/1/18 and see what's what. I think this kid is someone well-worth watching.

QlQUD3x.jpg

g21BIoD.jpg

QQ8xnLF.jpg

took me WAY too long to track down this original post, but i got drunk one night shortly after this was posted and thought it sounded like a fun idea to actually do. 
Can't find any upcoming fights featuring him.
i haven't seen any of this guy's matches, but with his most recent fight being 6 months ago and a TKO loss, what do you think @OSJ?  Still feeling like he's a can't-miss prospect?  Just a guy who needs more seasoning? One standout fight and looking average since then?

genuinely curious (i can't tell if this post reads snarky or not, but it's not meant that way).

as a bonus, here's a NY Post article on him from 2016: https://nypost.com/2016/05/14/an-nj-teens-mma-dream-is-his-moms-nightmare/

• Haha 1

No King Reina on the NYE show saddens me but she at least won her recent fight over the past weekend on a Jewels card. Same deficiencies remain unsurprisingly but her wrestling is still pretty good and she's still King Reina dammit.

Cage Warriors 100, that was really good until the main event. The actual main was disappointing, seemed like a mismatch. Ekundayo airlines looked the complete package in his company debut, but seemed like an inexperienced fighter who wasn't ready for a fight at that level last night. The undercard was much more competitive, but there were two tech subs back to back where the guy who got stopped was doing the "I wasn't out, why'd you stop it?" right after. They both seemed reasonable at the time though.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:37 AM, twiztor said:

QlQUD3x.jpg

g21BIoD.jpg

QQ8xnLF.jpg

took me WAY too long to track down this original post, but i got drunk one night shortly after this was posted and thought it sounded like a fun idea to actually do. 
Can't find any upcoming fights featuring him.
i haven't seen any of this guy's matches, but with his most recent fight being 6 months ago and a TKO loss, what do you think @OSJ?  Still feeling like he's a can't-miss prospect?  Just a guy who needs more seasoning? One standout fight and looking average since then?

genuinely curious (i can't tell if this post reads snarky or not, but it's not meant that way).

as a bonus, here's a NY Post article on him from 2016: https://nypost.com/2016/05/14/an-nj-teens-mma-dream-is-his-moms-nightmare/

I really don't know what to think after a year, he cuts through a couple of guys like a hot knife through butter but gets elbowed into next week by Adam Acquaviva who is pretty much a journeyman with a 6/4 record. I'm sure everyone in the Douma camp was vastly bummed by that outcome as it looked to me that they wanted this fight as simply another showcase win for the kid before moving up to the real contenders and he blows it. It happens, everyone loses. What matters is do you learn where you made mistakes and correct them, or do you just keep on keeping on and hope for the best. We saw two examples of these different approaches last night, Jessica Eye was almost a joke in MMA two years ago, last night she scored an upset win by dictating the pace of the fight and remaining in constant control, for every time she got hit she came back with at least a punch and a knee landing. On the other hand Joanna fought the same Joanna fight that she always does and lost again as she did to Thug Rose, because she is refusing to adapt and change her style. Rose figured her out and so has anyone that watched those two  fights. Joanna is still a deadly striker, but she's now a deadly striker whose weakness has been exposed. 

So back to John Douma, he's a smart kid, not one of these gym rat muscleheads that infest MMA. I mean the kid got his business degree early and has lots of options in life besides MMA which can be both a good thing and a bad thing. If he keeps his passion for MMA alive I still think he's going to be someone to watch. On the other hand, if being elbowed into a concussion kills that passion or even dampens it a bit, then he's basically done. From everything I've seen, he's going to be in the former category  and a force to be reckoned with for years to come. Yeah, I'm still all-in on Douma.

• Thanks 1