DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, PFL, RIZIN, Glory, and LFA Thread (With 100% More Cages Suspended From Above Like Wrestling Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Bellator_183_Henderson_vs._Pitbull_Poste

Bellator 183: Henderson vs. Pitbull
September 23, 2017
San Jose, CA (SAP Center)

Benson Henderson (155.9) vs. Patricky Freire (156) - Freire, DEC (split)
Paul Daley (171) vs. Lorenz Larkin (171) - Daley, KO (punches), R2 (2:40)
Roy Nelson (262.4) vs. Javy Ayala (265.3) - Nelson, DEC (unanimous)
Aaron Pico (144.5) vs. Justin Linn (146) - Pico, KO (punch), R1 (3:45)
Goiti Yamauchi (155.9) vs. Adam Piccolotti (155.2) - Yamauchi, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:19)

Bellator.com Preliminary Card:
Mike Ortega (204.9) vs. Tony Johnson (204.8) -  Johnson, KO (punch), R2 (1:49)
Brooke Mayo (125.6) vs. Kaytlin Neil (125.2) - Neil, DEC (unanimous)
Brandon Laroco (145.5) vs. Gaston Bolanos (145.6) - Laroco, SUB (triangle choke), R2 (2:16)
Corina Herrera (123.5) vs. Jaymee Nievara (125.4) - Nievara, DEC (unanimous)
Alex Lopez (171) vs. Fernando Gonzalez Trevino (171) - Trevino, DEC (split)
Ricardo Vasquez (135.7) vs. Justin Tenedora (135.9) - Vasquez, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (2:39)
Luis Jauregui (154.9) vs. JJ Okanovich (154.5) - Okanovich, SUB (armbar), R1 (0:42)
Anthony Castrejon (125.8) vs. Daniel Gonzalez (123.2) - Gonzalez, KO (punches), R1 (4:03)

Bellator Kickboxing 7 Card:
Bellator Kickboxing Featherweight Championship: Kevin Ross (144.3) vs. Domenico Lomumo (143.4) - Ross, DEC (split)
Bellator Kickboxing Welterweight Championship: Karim Ghajji (169.3) vs. Raymond Daniels (169.7) - Daniels, TKO (doctor stoppage), R1 (3:00)
Bellator Kickboxing rules: Joe Schilling (185.2) vs. Najib Idali (182.8) - Schilling, TKO (doctor stoppage), R2 (3:00)
Bellator Kickboxing rules: Jorina Baars (142.8) vs. Anke Van Gestel (142.5) -  Baars, DEC (unanimous)
Bellator Kickboxing rules: Malaipet Sasiprapa (144) vs. Jose Palacios (146) - Sasiprapa, DEC (unanimous)

Rating: 598,000 viewers

23 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Seems like they gave Pico an even easier layup this time. I'll try to catch this for his fight, the main event, and Larkin/Daley. 

I wonder what is their plan for all of their amateur wrestling prospects because they have five or six not named Aaron Pico. It seems like they wanted to make it this big thing, but they just kinda give them fights when they can. It's weird to have them on the smaller cards and then have Pico on the "stacked" cards. In boxing, a promoter usually has the best prospects all grouped together and maybe the best of the crop would get the preferential spotlight as like a co-main event spot in a 10 rounder (or 12 rounder title eliminator if they made it that far). You can have a Aaron Pico on the main card but you might as well throw Tyrell Fortune (and his brother), Jarod Trice, Joey Davis, Romero Cotton, etc on the undercard. Hell, you can still squeeze in the local bums to sell tickets and some female bouts in there. It's not like Bellator gives a damn about having an infinite number of prelims anyway. They have all these wrestlers with legit credentials but I don't think 90% of the people who actually watch or might watch Bellator know that these dudes are in the promotion if they didn't catch random clips here and there. And the other 10% probably couldn't pick most of those dudes out of a crowd at gunpoint. It's like they feel they have to choose whether they fight on the small cards no one watches and the cards people probably will watch. If you only run a card per month, those guys should be at least on every other card if not multiple consecutive cards to get experience. The way Bellator does it now is very ass backwards.

There are pluses and minuses to take away from that win. Pico's boxing is good when he isn't being wild. The KO punch was a tight left hook on the inside. However, he still should be able to integrate his takedowns much better and continue to have ground control. If you're fighting someone who is his own trainer in 2017, you should just straight massacre him on the ground. You don't have to let him up.

• Like 1

I can't take Pico too seriously until he defeats an opponent that has a trainer and isn't "self taught." I know they needed to get him a win, I don't fault their business practice, but it didn't show me much. I don't doubt his boxing and wrestling abilities but they were careful not to give him someone that was good at submissions this time.

22 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I can't take Pico too seriously until he defeats an opponent that has a trainer and isn't "self taught." I know they needed to get him a win, I don't fault their business practice, but it didn't show me much. I don't doubt his boxing and wrestling abilities but they were careful not to give him someone that was good at submissions this time.

He really needs to be in a LFA (so hard not to keep typing RFA) where he can really learn on the job and be against fighters that will get him the experience he needs. Right now, he gets way too much for the level of fighter he is facing and is way too eager to trade punches. Linn clocked him with a few good shots, and he is like 1/16th the athlete of Aaron Pico. With Rich Chou's matchmaking, he is going to get a steady diet of bums and then make a hard transition to someone who sorta knows how to fight. That might go the way of his debut and Bellator doesn't need that with how much they are hyping him up.

Catching up on the show, but holy fuck that Pico knock out was savage even if it wasn't very meaningful. Definitely got tagged hard a few times by self-trained dude, so he absolutely needs to tighten up his defence. I was impressed by his hand speed though. That finishing blow was lightning quick. A very small step in the right direction.

Hendo had to pull out of his grappling match next month with Sakuraba in RIZIN. Frank Shamrock will be stepping in as his replacement.

They also announced KING Reina vs. Crystal Stokes. Stokes trains with Cyborg and this is her debut fight from what I've been able to gather.

Also Jérôme Le Banner vs. Roque Martinez has been announced.

They had previously announced Akiyo "Wicky" Nishiura vs. Andy Souwer under MMA rules.

Stokes is a blue belt in BJJ and won a regional (San Diego) brazilian jiu jitsu tournament this year that the IBJJF put on. She also competed in the ADCC West Coast Trials back in April.

On another female MMA note:

I think this is smart. If and when Lee moves to the UFC next year, Mazo is likely to get booked to compete for LFA's vacant title.

The best thing about Sabina Mazo is that she was brought in to lose to Alejandra Lara on an MMA card in Colombia, yet she dominated her and won a UD over Lara.

Fast forward to now and Lara hasn't fought in over a year with her last fight being in Colombia despite only having lost to Mazo and Mazo is getting exposure stateside.

• 2 weeks later...

DHe_c7iUwAAP1GY.jpg

RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND PRIX 2017 Bantamweight Tournament & Women's Super Atomweight Tournament 1st ROUND - Aki no Jin -
October 15, 2017
Fukuoka, JP (Marine Messe Fukuoka)

RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP 1st Round: RENA (48.9 kg) vs. Andy Nguyen (49.25 kg) - RENA, KO (punch), R1 (3:23)
Tenshin Nasukawa (58.8 kg) vs. Yamato Fujita (57.0 kg) - Nasukawa, DEC (unanimous)
RIZIN Grappling
: Kazushi Sakuraba (82.1 kg) vs. Frank Shamrock (83.25 kg) - Draw, DEC (time limit expired)
Akiya "Wicky" Nishiura (69.7 kg) vs. Andy Souwer (70 kg) - Nishiura, DEC (unanimous)
KING Reina (73.55 kg) vs. Crystal Stokes (74.35 kg) - Reina, DEC (unanimous)
Tatsuya Kawajiri (62.7 kg) vs. Gabriel Oliveira (62.75 kg) - Oliveira, KO (knee), R2 (1:00)
RIZIN 61.0 kg GP 1st Round: Shintaro Ishiwatari (61.0 kg) vs. Akhmed Musakaev (61.0 kg) - Ishiwatari, DEC (unanimous)
RIZIN 61.0 kg GP 1st Round: Jae Hoon Moon (60.5 kg) vs. Kevin Petshi (61.0 kg) - Petshi, DEC (split)
RIZIN 61.0 kg GP 1st Round: Manel Kape (60.2 kg) vs. Erson Yamamoto (60.75 kg) - Kape, TKO (head kick), R1 (1:11)
Jérôme Le Banner (113.55 kg) vs. Roque Martinez (119.05 kg) - Martinez, SUB (chest compression), R1 (2:10)
RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP 1st Round: Alyssa Garcia (48.9 kg) vs. Maria Oliveira (49.0 kg) - Oliveira, DEC (unanimous)
RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP 1st Round: Kanna Asakura (48.75 kg) vs. Sylwia Juśkiewicz (47.0 kg) - Asakura, DEC (unanimous)
RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP 1st Round: Irene Rivera (49.0 kg) vs. Miyuu Yamamoto (48.95 kg) - Rivera, SUB (armbar), R2 (2:26)
RIZIN Kickboxing
: Issei Ishii (50.85 kg) vs. Jin Mandokoro (50.85 kg) - Mandokoro, DEC (majority)
RIZIN Kickboxing: Yuki (61.75 kg) vs. Darvish Kurogi (61.8 kg) - Draw, DEC (majority)
RIZIN Kickboxing: Yoshihisa "Kyoken" Morimoto (58.3 kg) vs. Najib Idali (58.5 kg) - Morimoto, TKO (punch), R3 (2:00)

Rating: 7.1%

Took @Elsalvajeloco's format to post the RIZIN results.

All of the MMA fights delivered, however I'd say the best were RENA/Andy, Nasukawa/Fujita, Kawajiri/Oliveira, Ishiwatari/Musakaev, Moon/Petshi, Kape/Erson, Le Banner/Martinez, Alyssa/Maria and all 3 kickboxing fights.

Miyuu tapped because her boob popped out. She could've survived the armbar attempt had that not occurred.

Maria looked really good against Alyssa. She needs to work on her TDD because Alyssa was able to take her down a couple of times with some deep double legs, but her stand up looked excellent. She was tagging Alyssa pretty good with some right hands and knees.

The submission by Roque was great.

Kape looked like a million books. He got the big JMMA entrance down and then proceeded to run through Erson with a brutal head kick and follow up punch. Some say it was a premature stoppage, but I felt it was justified. Erson was out or on his way out in the fight, so the ref. stepped in at the right time.

Felt Moon got robbed against Petshi. He dropped Petshi and inflicted the most damage in the fight which is the main criteria in scoring in RIZIN.

In defeat Musakaev looked good against Ishiwatari. I'm hoping he gets another chance to fight on a RIZIN event.

Oliveira KO'd Kawajiri pretty brutally. Hit him right in the jaw with a knee as Kawajiri was shooting for a takedown. Kawajiri also looked really thin from the weight cut. Probably not the best idea for him to try that cut down to 135 again.

Reina didn't look great against Stokes. Showed she needs to continue improving her overall game as she was taken down by Stokes and her stand up didn't look great, although she did land some leg kicks that visibly hurt Stokes.

Wicky vs. Souwer was exceedingly underwhelming. Souwer's been complaining he only gets paired against fighters who're afraid of his stand up and are going to try and take him down and try and submit him, yet when he was given the chance to stand with Wicky he immediately clinched and tried to grapple with Wicky which was ironic.

The grappling match was horrendous. All they did was stand collar and elbow tie up for 10 minutes.

Nasukawa/Fujita was great. Back and forth battle with them trading huge shots on the feet and both struggling on the ground as neither is a grappler and thus it was pretty even there. Fujita looked great in defeat too. Hope they give him another fight on one of the upcoming cards.

Main event was short, but fun. Andy controlled RENA grappling early on, but RENA was able to keep composure and take control and landed some brutal body shots to Andy before putting her down with a big punch to the body.

RIZIN has 2 more events scheduled for the rest of the year. One on December 29 and the other on December 31.

RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND PRIX 2017 Bantamweight Tournament & Women's Super Atomweight Tournament 2nd ROUND
December 29, 2017
Saitama, JP (Saitama Super Arena)

RIZIN 61.0 kg GP 2nd Round: Ian McCall vs. Manel Kape
RIZIN 61.0 kg GP 2nd Round: Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Wild Card
RIZIN 61.0 kg GP 2nd Round: Takafumi Otsuka vs. Khalid Taha
RIZIN 61.0 kg GP 2nd Round: Shintaro Ishiwatari vs. Kevin Petshi

RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND PRIX 2017 Bantamweight Tournament & Women's Super Atomweight Tournament Semifinal & Final ROUND
December 31, 2017

RIZIN 61.0 kg GP Final: TBD vs. TBD
RIZIN 61.0 kg GP Semifinal: TBD vs. TBD
RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP Final: TBD vs. TBD
RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP Semifinal: TBD vs. TBD
RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP Semifinal: TBD vs. TBD

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i'm ashamed to admit that i didn't know Rizin had an event this weekend AND i haven't watched the last event yet.

got to get caught up.

You're really missing out.

They've both been fantastic.

And btw, yes, the Ian McCall listed for the BW Gran Prix is Uncle Creepy who used to fight in the UFC. He was there at the press conference and said he managed to get out of his UFC contract and was invited to participate in the tournament and he accepted it.

On 10/16/2017 at 7:22 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

If he makes it to the fight, they should just give him a trophy and belt for the hell of it.

And to think he could possibly end up fighting 2 more times on NYE if he beats Kape...

RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND PRIX 2017 Bantamweight Tournament & Women's Super Atomweight Tournament Semifinal & Final ROUND
December 31, 2017

RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP Final: Winner of RENA/Irene vs. Winner of Maria/Kanna
RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP Semifinal: RENA vs. Irene Rivera
RIZIN 49.0 kg Women's GP Semifinal: Maria Oliveira vs. Kanna Asakura
RIZIN 61.0 kg GP Final: TBD vs. TBD