DVDVR Message Board

Greatest Horror of All Time - where to begin?

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

All movies - no matter the release format

The Night Stalker and The Night Stragler were both Made For TV horror films.   Strangler was the sequel to Stalker.

The character of Karl Kolshack proved to beso popular that the movies served as pilots for the series.

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Tim Curry version of "It" was made for TV, right? 

I'm not counting mini-series or two parters otherwise 'Salem's Lot is right there.

12 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Did y'all suddenly forget what a movie is?

This isn't hard

Who is this y'all? 

I said I'm not counting anything under an hour or over two hours..  No television shows or mini series.

Night Stalker and Night Strangler were both legit made for television horror movies and individual episodes do not count.

Okay, I'll come out and say it.  I'm making a case for Duel in my head.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

What about radio shows? 

Take it to the radio drama folder. Right between the thread on how many doctors would choose Lucky Strikes over other cigarettes and the thread on the best racist Eddie Cantor bit.

• Like 4

Gotta come back to that Lights Out show for sure. Arch Oboler was a genius according to everything I've read about him. Filmfax had a very loving article about him back in the day.

Duel and Jaws are both amazing movies but they aren't gonna make my list probably. Yeah, I said it. 

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Gotta come back to that Lights Out show for sure. Arch Oboler was a genius according to everything I've read about him. Filmfax had a very loving article about him back in the day.

Duel and Jaws are both amazing movies but they aren't gonna make my list probably. Yeah, I said it. 

Oboler didn't write much in the way of long fiction, but when he did, OMG... If you haven't read House on Fire see if your library has it, or buy it cheap on abebooks (you can probably get the hardcover for about ten bucks), a vastly under-appreciated novel, just as Killer Clowns is a vastly under-appreciated film, it will likely be in my top ten with other obscure gems such as Street Trash  and  Tombs of the Blind Dead

This also asks the question, what Paul Naschy film would make your top 100? For that matter, would any Jesus Franco scratch it? Is The Awful Dr. Orloff as good as I've thought it might be? Is The Werewolf vs. The Vampire Woman as good as I think it is?

EDIT: And guess what I just found...

I will also be putting one of the Coffin Joe movies on my list and you can all argue over Spielberg movies to your heart's content

• Like 1

I may have as many as 3 Blind Dead movies in my 100...

I'm all over the place tryna watch more horror movies to add to the prospective list I'm compiling...just watched The House With Laughing Windows and Viy on youtube the other day and finally got around to watching We Are Still Here on Netflix last night...

1. The Awful Dr. Orloff was awesome and has made me officially revise my thoughts on Franco

2. If anyone is pauntsless it's piranesi for posting that trailer

3. C'mon, piranesi, no love for Fascination or Vampyres?

4. Now I need to decide which Jean Rollin to put in my 100 and it's probably either Fascination or The Grapes of Death. The Living Dead Girl is good but I'd probably need a Xanax to sit through it again

Okay, so here is what my unranked and unsorted Top 50 would look like pulled straight out of the air.

Spoiler

Dracula (1931)
The Hidden
Noroi:  The Curse
Ringu
Frankenstein (1931)
Bride of Frankenstein
Alien
Silence of the Lambs
Black Christmas
The Devil's Backbone
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
Audition
Night of the Living Dead
An American Werewolf In London
Halloween
Poltergeist
[REC]
Let The Right One In
The Innocents
The Descent
Tourist Trap
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Suspiria
Psycho
The Birds
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Nosferatu
Rosemary's Baby
The Wicker Man
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Scream
Jaws
The Thing (1982)
Henry:  Portrait of a Serial Killer
Pulse (Kairo)
The Omen
Ju-On:  The Grudge
Black Sabbath
Inside (À l'intérieur)
The Brood
Session 9
28 Days Later
Kill List (2012)
The Mist
Creature from the Black Lagoon
The Babadook
Cronos
Hellraiser
Gojira

My only comical omission are Cat People, Phantom of the Opera, Dog Soldiers, The Mummy, and maybe The Hills Have Eyes.

I'm sure we'd also argue over which one was the best out of the Blob movies (I am actually partial to the reboot).

The ballots will have to be 100 slots and most likely I will be using the Wimp Clause and including like five hundred Honorable Mentions which are sure to include the original Piranha (1978), Videodrome, The Host (Gwoemul), The Howling, nearly every Friday the 13th movie I can think of, and A Tale Of Two Sisters if the second half of my ballot fills up too quickly.

OSJ has shamed me for not remembering the campy greatness of Humanoids From The Deep.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

OSJ has shamed me for not remembering the campy greatness of Humanoids From The Deep.

You best recognize! In all honesty, it's very well acted on top of all the ridiculous shit happening, and Corman had another director come in and film the rape sequences which really pissed off the leading woman and the director (who was also a woman btw, Barbara Peeters). 

• Like 1

Silly fucking me,  I failed to post my initial top-of-the-head picks. Anyway, in no special order, here's the first fifty that came to me, add The fucking Hidden to make #51; yeah, it's sf but so is Alien and I'll be happy to argue the semantics of "horror" in regard to either film with anyone that's fool enough to try. ;-)

Here ya are, try one a night for the next couple of months and see how your perspective on life has changed:

Killer Clowns from Outer Space
Street Trash
Basket Case
Nosferatu
Bride of Frankenstein
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1
Night of the Living Dead
Saw
Human Lanterns
The Exorcist
The Stuff
Pumpkinhead