DVDVR Message Board

The Mass Effect thread

You're on PS3, right? In a few weeks, when you get up to ME3, give us a shout when you want to do multiplayer (nb: doing multiplayer missions can help you with the single player campaign. And it's fun). PSN: AxBloodTheory

Alright people, I just picked up the Mass Effect trilogy (incl Cerberus pack for ME2) on the PSN.

What... what do I do now?

And then we it comes time for squad selection - you might want to make sure you pick folks that compliment your class (so say you don't have 3 Adepts on a mission and then you can't hack anything)

This is doubly important if you are playing any class other than a Soldier in ME1.  

IIRC, Soldiers are the only class that have a base proficiency with Assault Rifles so you are going to have to depend on characters like Ashley, Garrus, and Wrex to provide medium range fire support until you unlock weapon proficiencies after your first playthrough.

You will usually want to build your squad to compliment your abilities (one solider, one tech, one biotic) but there are a couple of encounters in ME1 and ME2 where it helps to be really heavy in one class or have two characters with overlapping skills.

In ME1, you will get the call to deal with a Rogue AI on the Moon and your enemies will combat drones, so Tali is a must for your squad since she has AI Hack and can turn the drones against each other.  Garrus is probably your best third because he can Overload shields.

Same thing with ME2 on Tali's recruitment mission on Haestrom.  As much as you will want to hear alternate dialogue, two characters that both have Overload will make the mission much simpler and even moreso if your main character is an Infiltrator (they have AI Hack).

Also be mindful that none of the classes in ME1 have the cool powers found in ME2 or ME3.

Just make sure you do all the side mission stuff

It helps you not only with experience, etc... but there is a lot of great secondary story stuff in there

Especially since almost EVERYTHING gets carried over through the three games

What, argue about the ending? I finished ME3 two weeks ago, posted about the ending in this thread, and no bugger said owt about it.

And if you aren't talking about discussing the ending, I can only assume you want everyone to do a group playthrough together. Which seems unnecessary.

There's this mindset that I will constantly forever and ever say something about the ending. Which is only like 60% true. I haven't made it a secret it I LOATHE the ending to the point were I'm still having some problems getting remotely excited for the continuation. Others disagree. That's cool, glad it didn't hurt their view on an amazing game series. Mass Effect 2 is still my favorite game of all time, and even with the shit ending ME3 is probably top 5 due to it being amazing till the last couple hours and oh, by the way, the blasts I've had in multiplayer.

See, if you wanted to do a group playthrough in a year's time, I'd be up for it. But I only just finished them for the first time, and I want to do the Dragon Age trilogy now.

But when I do play it again, I'll go Male and Renegade, because that's the opposite of what I did the first time. And spend all three games trying to get off with Kaiden, because Ashley is racist about aliens (and only started looking attractive in the third game anyway).

I found that fight really hard on my first playthrough, because I went straight to find Liara as early as possible, and got stuck in a fight I wasn't really ready for - should have done a few sidequests and levelled up a bit first. I managed it eventually, but it was when I realised that this isn't a game where you gun your way through. You really need to use your biotics and tech abilities (and those of your teammates) a lot.

• Like 1

I found that fight really hard on my first playthrough, because I went straight to find Liara as early as possible, and got stuck in a fight I wasn't really ready for - should have done a few sidequests and levelled up a bit first. I managed it eventually, but it was when I realised that this isn't a game where you gun your way through. You really need to use your biotics and tech abilities (and those of your teammates) a lot.

It was like that for me when I played last year. It was sad & hilarious how easy it was for me when I replayed earlier this year.

ME3 is killing me as an Infiltrator. I oughtta look into some sort of strategy because whatever I'm doing, I'm doing it wrong.

I love playing Infiltrators.  Here is what worked for me in ME3 when I put my Shep together.

1. Watch your Encumbrance level because it affects your power cooldown rate.  If you pack a heavy sniper like Black Widow, chose a lightweight sidearm like an SMG. If you have the Citadel DLC, the silenced pistol will serve you well.

2. Invest in Disrupter Ammo and don't put any points into Cryo Ammo.  

3. Invest the points you would've put into Cryo Ammo towards Incinerate (handy against Armor heavy enemies like Brutes), Energy Drain (for dropping shields and Tech Burst detonation on enemies you use Incinerate on), and Sticky Grenades..

4. I am a damage is king kinda player so I always spec Tac Cloak for maximum damage rather than duration.

5. Make do with whatever sniper rifles you get in the early missions and save your credits.   If you grab all available loot and get any available side missions done, you should have enough to get credits to buy the Black Widow as soon as the Grissom Academy mission.

6. Use the armor that best exploits your strengths.   I usually go with the Kuwashi Visor and the full set of Hahne-Kedar armor for max weapon damage.  

7. Since I went with total weapon damage in my armor choice, I relied on the bonuses from the Intel Terminal to improve Shield Strength / Recharge, Power Damage / Recharge, and Health %.  Use at least one Intel Terminal buff to lower your Vendor Discount.

8. Find a balance in your Fitness perks between shield / health, and melee ability. 

Well my favorite Infiltrator is the Phantom and honestly there really isn't any need for Tac Cloak with them - at least with my play style

The flat Damage Bonus and the Melee Damage bonus from Tac Cloak help a lot with the N7 Ninja..

Tac Cloaks also make Infiltrators the best revive runners same as Bladedancers in Destiny.