DVDVR Message Board

THE TOP 360 GREATEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME~!

RIPPA

7 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Something clearly went wrong if it didn't make the top 200.

The Iron Giant was among the final films that ultimately got bumped off my ballot.
Not much of a consolation but...I would've been there for ya in a Top 110!

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am irritated that I just realized a movie I totally spaced on but no one else voted for it either so it wouldn't have mattered.

Well, there is one less evil that will be blamed on my ballot.

13 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

Looking at what showed up so far, I would think Raising Arizona would probably be hurt more.

I forgot about your Raising Arizona love. I remembered your Iron Giant love since you were the high vote on the 1st 90s ballot

5dd6c27aa22a6a73232e46a5addd401a

263) THE BREAKFAST CLUB (1985)

Director: John Hughes

131 Points (4 Votes + 2 HM) - HIGH VOTE: Death From Above (#43) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, Raziel, Matt D - HONORABLE MENTION: RIPPA, Hobo Joe

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (89%) : METACRITIC (62)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 32 (80s)

God, I remember hating The Breakfast Club as much as Sixteen Candles and Pretty In Pink because Molly Ringwald always manages to play the most annoying entitled white girl on earth regardless of which side of the tracks her character came from and her life choices were usually terrible.

DUCKIE LOVES YOU, YOU FUCKING IDIOT~! THAT IS WHY HE'S ACTING LIKE A TOTAL FUCKTARD~!!!  GUYS IN LOVE DO DUMB SHIT~!!

But she choses Blane and their story ends happily for the time being until Blane goes off to an Ivy League college and cheats on Andie's thrift store clothes wearing ass with some French exchange babe..

Weird Science made the best use of Anthony Michael Hall and even that movie would not make my GOAT ballot because I am a movie snob that has horrible taste or somesuch.

I also hate the ending of The Breakfast Club because it is similar to the shit ending to the movie, Grease. 

Claire doesn't change anything outward or inward to hook Bender (despite him treating her like shit for nearly the entire movie) and that's okay because good girls who are really fucking shallow can like bad boys and everything will be alright because it is Bender who should adjust his attitude and accept Claire for who she is, but poor misunderstood golden boy super jock Andrew doesn't give mousey chronically ignored Allison a sideways glance until she totally transforms her appearance so that she is "pretty" by his standards instead of her own. Bullshit.

48 minutes ago, J.T. said:

DUCKIE LOVES YOU, YOU FUCKING IDIOT~! THAT IS WHY HE'S ACTING LIKE A TOTAL FUCKTARD~!!!  GUYS IN LOVE DO DUMB SHIT~!!

Duckie was annoying as shit.  She made the right choice!

I love the Ringwald Trilogy, but 'Breakfast Club' is my least favourite.  I think '16 Candles' is the best.  The best is when the guy accidentally calls her grandmother and in the actual film he says "Eat me" because he thinks it's a wrong number and when her husband asks what they wanted, she blanches and says "Sex!"  but if you watch the TBS/AMC version they edited his dialogue to something acceptable like "Forget it" and she still says "Sex!" and you go "That's a pretty big logical leap she had to make there to come to that conclusion."

24 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I just like how JT assumed that was the last John Hughes movie on this list and info dumped after BC

I had to vent and purge.  It was necessary and cathartic.

I don't hate all John Hughes movies, but I am obviously not keen on the Ringwald Trilogy,

I will be more kind to Ferris when it shows up.

2 hours ago, caley said:

Duckie was annoying as shit.  She made the right choice!

Of course he's annoying because Andie thinks that falling in love has to involve traversing entire continents full of burning sands and shit and he's all HERE I AM~!!, but PIP is Romeo & Juliet without the poisonings and murder or tragic ending so she's off to nab some guy that wouldn't look her way twice in real life and totally ignore the guy right there who cares about her but he doesn't fit her unrealistic standard nor does capturing his heart require any epic sailing of ships of love through monsoons of life, and Blane will be a preppie with a heart of gold and not a snob at all who abandons status for what he thinks is true love but is actually rebellion against his social class and everything will work out peachy keen.

2 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

I want to thank JT for being the only other person I know who gets why The Breakfast Club is terrible.

Mike Zeidler approves of my opinion.  This is awkward.  

Why do I now feel the sudden urge to rent The Breakfast Club from Redbox on my way home?

cb1b7ecf11695328450c6df88f4c218f

259) THE TRUMAN SHOW (1998)

Director: Peter Weir

133 Points (3 Votes + 1 HM) - HIGH VOTE: KLOS (#21) - ADDITIONAL VOTES: Tbarrie, Paco - HONORABLE MENTION: RIPPA

IMDB : ROTTEN TOMATOES (94%) : METACRITIC (90)

Criterion Collection: NO

Previous DVDVR Poll Placement: 102 (90s V2), 42 (90s V1)

• Like 1