Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
piranesi

The Awesome/Annoying TV COMMERCIAL Thread

Recommended Posts

Dont care much for the pizza but I still love crazy bread. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ Reason #1 I've probably ended up eating Caesar's at all over the years

Reason #2 is of course the price. 3 would be alcohol

I bet the Hammer is a big Joe Don Baker fan.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neil Koch said:

I feel ya, thankfully we have a cheap pizza chain around here called $5 Pizza that is decent that my house uses when we have younger relative visiting.

There are no words for how much I miss ordering my daughter's meals from the children's menu.  Chicken Fingers are every father's best friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, piranesi said:

Sadly now finding out that Freedom Rock wasn't a K-Tel after all.  Damn Mandela effect.

Oh lord I still remember the commercial.

HEY MAAAAN IS THAT FREEDOM ROCK MAAAAAAN?

YES IT IS MAAAAAAN

WELL THEN TURN IT UP MAAAAAAN

I have no idea how I did it as a kid, probably begged my dad, but I bought Freedom Rock on cassette.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My best friend convinced his parents to buy him Living in the 90s and I wore out the cassettes I taped off of his.

Nothing but bangers

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Oh lord I still remember the commercial.

HEY MAAAAN IS THAT FREEDOM ROCK MAAAAAAN?

YES IT IS MAAAAAAN

WELL THEN TURN IT UP MAAAAAAN

I have no idea how I did it as a kid, probably begged my dad, but I bought Freedom Rock on cassette.

For us black folks, it was the commercial for Hey Love, the old school soul collection, that was an instant classic..

No, my brotha.  You gotta buy yo' own.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glenda Suggs is apparently the name of the actress in the Little Caesar's commercial, FYI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this happens nationally but the local ads here for Veteran's Day sales have pictures of veterans to honor them.  That's all well and good but it would be nice if they just had a simple message to honor and not advertise whatever sales they have going on.  Either do one or the other but putting both at the same time while well-intentioned just feels tasteless to me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Not sure if this happens nationally but the local ads here for Veteran's Day sales have pictures of veterans to honor them.  That's all well and good but it would be nice if they just had a simple message to honor and not advertise whatever sales they have going on.  Either do one or the other but putting both at the same time while well-intentioned just feels tasteless to me.

Yeah.  I can always tell when it's Columbus Day or Veteran's Day or any or the other not so big but still important holidays by how many furniture store commercials are on the air.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J.T. said:

Yeah.  I can always tell when it's Columbus Day or Veteran's Day or any or the other not so big but still important holidays by how many furniture store commercials are on the air.

I've become used to that and don't normally pay attention.  But when you're showing photos of veterans and saying "We honor our Veterans...please come and check out our sales" that just feels wrong to me.  Just say you have sales and that's it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I've become used to that and don't normally pay attention.  But when you're showing photos of veterans and saying "We honor our Veterans...please come and check out our sales" that just feels wrong to me.  Just say you have sales and that's it.

I am torn.

I think it's tacky but I'd also love to get an extra 15% off at fucking Ashley Furniture. 

32202-21.jpg

 

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J.T. said:

I am torn.

I think it's tacky but I'd also love to get an extra 15% off at fucking Ashley Furniture. 

Thankfully I don't have to worry about that yet.  Settlement's in two weeks and it's uncertain if we'll have furniture there or not at the new house.  Checking now would be too early but we'll be diving in headfirst on Black Friday (which has its own set of problems but I digress)  All I know is I'm just glad for DVR where I can skip this shit most of the time.

Oh, and Little Ceasars is pretty bad but when you spent too much for beer a friend's place you can't go wrong with a $5 pizza.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little Caesar's is a great price for mediocre pizza. At least in their commercials they don't break an arm jerking themselves off for their "Delivery" and "Pick up" insurance. Seriously Dominoes, how may times does someone drop their pizza, either on take out or delivery? Talk about a policy that sounds good, but probably doesn't cost the company a dime. Plus their pizza is shittier than Little Caesars/  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every other ad on Network TV not during national broadcasts around here is for a window company or a bathroom refitter. There's like 5 or 6 different ones it seems and they have really long stupid ads during stuff older folks usually watch. Why is this ad for new windows 2 minutes long? Why are they on the local news shilling them? What's going on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say I love the Heineken commercial where the dude screws up holiday dinner but his father-in-law clinks his beer because he'd rather have burgers. It's too bad they don't spend money making their beer taste like anything except piss. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aw Heineken isn't that bad. It isn't as pissy as Beck's or Stella at least as far as green bottle beers go. Or Grolsch, which I actually like better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me say that I'm very happy that the Allstate commercials with Dean Winters from Oz as "Mayhem" are still going. Each new one is a crackup. Dude even got to lick Tina Fey FFS. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new Ghost parody with Mrs. Butterworth and the Colonel getting ready to get it on is one of the creepier ones in a while.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm annoyed that online is doing Discourse about the Christmas Peloton commercial when we never even really talked about the incredibly fucked up "husband and wife each sneaking away to do Peloton" Christmas commercials from last year.  Stop getting ahead of yourself!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole controversy about the new Peloton commercial really bothers me. 

I've seen the commercial and it is totally devoid of context.   The only way to draw a negative connotation from the commercial is if you assign a negative connotation to the gift and the gift giver. 

You have to assume that the husband is an asshole that is fat shaming his wife.

That's a stupid conclusion to draw because the wife doesn't look dramatically different from the start of the commercial to the end and she's HAPPY to have gotten the Peloton.  Being thin does not always equate to health and his wife wants to be fit, not just skinny.

Therefore the more logical context to add is that the husband is a good bro who has heard his wife complain about wanting to exercise but never having the time so he decides to do something about it.

And dude does not half-step.  Instead of giving her a five dollar membership to American Family, he fucking gifts her an exercise bike that costs two fucking grand minimum that she can use in the privacy of her own home.  With excuses gone, the wife begins her odyssey of fitness and thanks her husband for his thoughtfulness at the end of the commercial..

Last year's commercial?  Yeah, that shit was stupid.   How in the fuck would you not know that someone has been using the Peloton?  The thing is a gigantic fitbit.  The other spouse's fitness routine is captured all on that fucking shit.

Edited by J.T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hate Peloton overall. Exercise bikes by the rich for the rich complete with a TV screen to harass the user, their commercials have irritated me ever since they showed up. It's no wonder that skinny-mini who gets the bike in the new one looks terrified. "My husband spent two grand out of the kids' college fund, now I HAVE to use it"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just hate Peloton overall. Exercise bikes by the rich for the rich complete with a TV screen to harass the user, their commercials have irritated me ever since they showed up. It's no wonder that skinny-mini who gets the bike in the new one looks terrified. "My husband spent two grand out of the kids' college fund, now I HAVE to use it"

Peloton is Greek for "I will be first against the wall when class war starts"

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, see?  You guys have hit on the thing I actually hate about Peloton commercials.  They're not sexist; they're elitist.

Those fucks that buy those bikes always live in those houses you see in the movies that have the one side made up of nothing but fucking glass.

The husband didn't burn the kids's college fund for that bike.  He probably had that shit sitting around in his bitcoin wallet.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Internet radio/podcasts are saturated with those peloton commercials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.T. said:

those houses you see in the movies that have the one side made up of nothing but fucking glass

WHICH SHOW UP IN THE FUCKING COMMERCIALS.

There are probably darker reasons that woman looks terrified. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...