DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL GREATEST OF ALL TIME COMMENTS

RIPPA

I have a lot of vacation between now and Jan 9 so I am figuring A LOT of things are coming off my pile of shame.

I also looked at all the ballots I submitted in the past and I a hate all of them.

I pretty much know my Top 5 and then it is a crap shoot from there

• Like 1

Because I get hung up on these things, I'm curious where people come down on greatest vs best vs favorite.

Like, if we're doing film-as-art, Seven Samurai isn't getting far away from the top, but doing gun-to-your-head-desert-island-picks, I might actually scrounge up 100 flicks I'd watch before it again.

(Seven Samurai would probably end up in there either way, but I'm going with the Kurosawa example because I had a summer where I burned through most of his filmography and dug a lot of stuff but remember very little and where the fuck would I actually shoehorn in High and Low or Drunken Angel or The Bad Sleep Well when this is all said and done)

• Like 1

No matter what is said it basically turns into "favorite" and what each individual feels that means to them

There is zero way to set a unified standard for everyone. All I care is that the ballots submitted to me are done so in the proper formatting.

• Like 1

I sort of started with a favorites list and then began filling in some blind spots with TCM and Criterion. I'm still not sure how much weight influence should have on the list. Like 3 Women and Mullholland Drive wouldn't have been made without Persona, but the first two made my list and Persona didn't. It's still a favorites list of sorts anyway. There are a lot of sacred cows from famous directors that won't make my 100 while films that are considered their lesser works will. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The soft deadline is still Jan 1 (but we know that will be fudged somewhat)

I will be posting a formal update later this week (probably Dec 1) but I would LOVE ballots earlier than the first so I am not trying to do them all at once

I am off from Dec 21 - Jan 9 so I have plenty of time to do this.

Don't you fuckers ruin it for me

• 2 weeks later...

I embrace my blind spots, most of us on this board are adults with adult jobs and adult responsibilities that are not related to the film industry so I accept that the any of us have not seen all the movies we "should". I know there are great movies that I haven't seen (and that I want to see) but we don't all have the time to do so. It is what it is. I know that some of the movies i have not seen will be on the list because others have seen them and will (probably) vote for them, similarly I feel like I may be placing some movies that others may not have seen. The board has such a broad taste that if enough of us participate I think we'll get a very interesting list at least.

• Like 1

My ballot update:

Coming up with a 100 from 137 was a challenge. Content with the top ten I did a while ago. Ranking the films is also a challenge. My ballot is a mix of best vs. favourite, if I had to watch a film, which would I choose and some films getting bonus marks for historical significance.

I’m interested in seeing the countdown and where movie genres I have interest in (comic book, horror and animation) wind up. I’m also curious to see how people handle trilogies, do you vote for all three or just the one to represent it and free up ballot spaces? Right now I have a number of complete trilogies on it.

EDIT: Opened up a document with my film reviews. Glad I did as I missed an absolute lock for this and some films for considerations.

I am trying to work on this and the Best of the Decade So Far ballot, too.

My head hurts. 

Straight Outta Compton is on the fast track to crack the Top 10 of my Best of the Decade So Far ballot.

My Top 10 Bestest of All Times list really hasn't changed that much.

Spoiler

1. Citizen Kane

2. Casablanca

3. Star Wars: A New Hope

4. Chinatown

6. Lawrence of Arabia

7. Jaws

8. Bridge Over The River Kwai

9. Gojira

10. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

The war will be fought in the #20 - #50 part of my ballot.

Is there a fairly unanimously respected top 100 movies of all time list out there somewhere (or even better one out there of the ones that are actually available on Netflix/Hulu/etc/.)?  

Looking at JT's list, I know my blindspot is pretty much movies that are traditionally considered great.  I'm pretty happy with my list as far as the thing's I've seen, but I know there's a lot out there that I SHOULD see before submitting this thing.                                         

• Like 1

I think what was funnier with the AFI ones was when they tried to do all those different categories and then it became a farce

Roger Ebert's 10 Greatest (written in 1991)

Hollywood Reporter surveyed Hollywood types for a list (Warning - this is a fucking 100 part slideshow)

Entertainment Weekly's List from 1999

BBC;s 100 Greatest American Films (I think this one just since it is a foreign take on our films)

For me - I just look for list that get me ideas for "for lesser known" great movies to watch.... which tend to be foreign films

Like if it wasn't for this board - I would have never watched Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring before the 00s poll. Thank God I did (and that is just one example)

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The sight and sound list, but i think it only goes to 10 or 20.

The AFI list is laughably predictable. 

Sight and Sound has a top 100 and there's two different lists. (Critics and Directors). I think most people refer to the critics list.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/critics

http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/directors

Also, Ebert wrote about updating his list in 2012 too:

http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/the-greatest-films-of-all-time 

The BBC list is a good inclusion.  Most of the Best Of lists I've seen are laughably biased towards American cinema. 

I've seen some pathetic lists where the first Kurasawa movie enters in somewhere in the fourties or fifties with The Dark Knight ranking ten to fifteen slots above either movie.. 

Seven Samurai and Ran will most certainly crack my Top 20 and both are certainly to be ranked above The Dark Knight.

Thanks for pushing the ballot due date out to 10 Jan so I am not pulling out my hair over the Christmas holiday.

40 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The BBC list is a good inclusion.  Most of the Best Of lists I've seen are laughably biased towards American cinema. 

I've seen some pathetic lists where the first Kurasawa movie enters in somewhere in the fourties or fifties with The Dark Knight ranking ten to fifteen slots above either movie.. 

Seven Samurai and Ran will most certainly crack my Top 20 and both are certainly to be ranked above The Dark Knight.

Thanks for pushing the ballot due date out to 10 Jan so I am not pulling out my hair over the Christmas holiday.

Even if I don't submit a ballot, I'm happy that this is forcing me to remove some blind spots. I finally watched North by Northwest last night, and it's amazing how beautiful some of the more scenic/panoramic shots are in that film considering it was released in 1959, and I wasn't watching an updated transfer (an old DVD copy from the library).

I'll probably watch Badlands and Dr. Strangelove over the holidays.

I finally went through and made a concerted effort to sort out the real contenders for my list... and got a count of like 185.

Then I went and did the most brutal cut possible (with the intention of adding a lot back in)... and got 95.

I'm committed to keeping my list at 100, but boy is it just going to be a firing squad of darlings in the process.

• Like 1