DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

You know what scene still weirds me out? The one in season 7 where Dany burns alive Sam's family. 

1) Does Sam even know about this, or will he know about this? How would he feel?

2) That scene felt tonally uneven to me considering Sam's father was previously portrayed as an unrepentant and pretty vile asshole. Giving that scene to those characters came off as problematic. They made Sam's father and brother look downright heroic, noble and honorable for sacrificing themselves.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:48 AM, TheVileOne said:

You know what scene still weirds me out? The one in season 7 where Dany burns alive Sam's family. 

1) Does Sam even know about this, or will he know about this? How would he feel?

2) That scene felt tonally uneven to me considering Sam's father was previously portrayed as an unrepentant and pretty vile asshole. Giving that scene to those characters came off as problematic. They made Sam's father and brother look downright heroic, noble and honorable for sacrificing themselves.

True.. but I do like the fact that there are so few people without blood on their hands. When you are in a position of power a lot of difficult decisions come with it and Dany has been far from perfect in all this, she's shown some signs of having a bit of her father in her.

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

True.. but I do like the fact that there are so few people without blood on their hands. When you are in a position of power a lot of difficult decisions come with it and Dany has been far from perfect in all this, she's shown some signs of having a bit of her father in her.

I know people complained about Dany in that scene. I don't take any issue with what Dany did. My issue is the depiction of Sam's father and brother as being given this noble and heroic moment. Even Dany showed respect for the honor and pride shown by Sam's father when there was really nothing at all right or honorable ever depicted about the man before. If the had at least seeded some of that in earlier, I could have a better time with swallowing that scene. It felt like a bad reversal. 

He refuses to compromise ever, under any circumstances. Which can be both noble and ignoble, depending on circumstance.

The real issue is how the penalty for deserting the Night's Watch is death, but Jon Snow decides his watch has ended and everyone is just OK with it. If it was public knowledge he died and was resurrected, that would be fair (if everyone believed it). But it's not, is it?

5 hours ago, AxB said:

He refuses to compromise ever, under any circumstances. Which can be both noble and ignoble, depending on circumstance.

The real issue is how the penalty for deserting the Night's Watch is death, but Jon Snow decides his watch has ended and everyone is just OK with it. If it was public knowledge he died and was resurrected, that would be fair (if everyone believed it). But it's not, is it?

I think you can refuse to compromise and not treat your son like a disease. Once again, it was a moment of tonal imbalance.

As for the Night's Watch business, I think a big point of the show is that a lot of those old rules and customs are backwards and mean certain annihilation for everyone. So in order to survive they basically have to collapse all the old rules and make new ones. Many of the taboos that are ingrained within the culture are wrong and basically have to be jettisoned. 

The way I see it, Jon Snow is basically saying, "Screw your Night Watch rules. They aren't going to save us anymore."

As for everyone being OK with it, they basically saw a man get stabbed to death and come back to life. Then he hanged all the people responsible. That doesn't give them incentive to try again. 

Edited by TheVileOne

Yes, but then he went to Winterfell. And literally everyone in Winterfell has a moral and legal obligation to  behead him for desertion.

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yes, but then he went to Winterfell. And literally everyone in Winterfell has a moral and legal obligation to  behead him for desertion.

Well, he liberated Winterfell, and the rest of The North, from Ramsey, so everyone left from that battle wasn't going to fuck with him.  That and you know, he's the last (known) surviving Stark male (that's not a cripple)

• Like 1

I don't want to compare it to today's politics but often times you'll find that norms are thrown way out of the window (Sorry, Bran I didn't mean to..) and sometimes that can be for good reason.  Often times it's a power play,  but in Jon Snow's case I think there are enough people that realize "hey, I understand the rules but fuck 'em we are all gonna die"  and they've decided it's best to fall in line. 

27 minutes ago, AxB said:

It just goes to my previous point. The old sacrosanct rules are pretty much garbage at this point and if they want to survive they can no longer adhere to all of them. 

Episode 1
Premiere: April 14
Runtime: 54 minutes

Episode 2 

Premiere: April 21
Runtime: 58 minutes

Episode 3
Premiere: April 28
Runtime: 1 hour 22 minutes

Episode 4
Premiere: May 5
Runtime: 1 hour 18 minutes

Episode 5
Premiere: May 12
Runtime: 1 hour 20 minutes

Episode 6
Premiere: May 19
Runtime: 1 hour 20 minutes

This isn't really a spoiler but I'll put it in tags anyway.  It's related to who is directing each episode and what that could mean.  

Sapochnik is doing episodes 3 & 5. I think we're getting some big battle scenes in those.  Benioff & Weiss are doing the finale. Makes sense that they would wrap it up, they've said they know how it ends for a LONG time.

After the spin-off series, there will be a second spin off series. The remake won't be in 10 years because there'll still be an ASOIAF tv show running at the time.

He told Benioff & Weiss what his ending was. They didn't say whether that was going to be the ending they were doing or not.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

He told Benioff & Weiss what his ending was. They didn't say whether that was going to be the ending they were doing or not.

Years ago, Martin said something to the effect of he never has the end planned out for his books, and that he loses interest in a story whenever he knows the end before he gets there.

Fast forward to him telling them how this ends, and he's suddenly went from "slow" to "nothing"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of new mini trailer dropped today. Presumably TV spots, because they seem to big clips of the big trailer different orders.

• 2 weeks later...