DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

4 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Note: Gergore Clegaine very much upped the stakes of inclusivity by calling the following a cunt tonight:

1) A dead (ice) guy

2) a (fire) God

Also he appears to be headed to the meeting at King's Landing.  Just sayin'

Sandor, you fool!

I can't be the only one who completely bit on the Tormund nearfall, right? Pretty much everybody outside of Jon could have died there, so I was expecting at least one of the big boys to bite it.

One thing I love about the series is that you have these unbelievable monsters that instill the fear of God into everybody but there's always a feeling of "oh shit, they're going to kill the dragons, aren't they". That they can get something so awe inspiring to feel so vulnerable at the same time is a real achievement. 

It also totally makes sense that Cersei and the Lannisters would be the last to realize the true danger of the Night King when you think about what she represents and the whole allegory of the white walkers. Cersei has to use this opportunity of a distracted Daenerys to really stick it to Dany and then reap the consequences of her myopic, selfish struggle to maintain power. It's too real, man... It's too real. I wonder if Martin started with the not so subtle yet still incredibly well handled environmentalism theme way back in '91. Good writing is written from the end backwards, so I would seriously hope so.

I'm not big on shipping (and it happened on a god damn ship), nor am I a Dany fanboi, but the scene with her and Jon was perfectly crafted and executed. One of the better interpersonal scenes in the show's run.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

When the Nightking was handed his ice javelin, I was expecting someone to eat it Lord Humungus killing Warrior Woman in the Road Warrior style.

As soon as he had it, I went "I think a dragon is gonna die" in just a pathetically depressed voice.

• Like 1

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

As soon as he had it, I went "I think a dragon is gonna die" I'm just a pathetically depressed voice.

I kind of figured that fight with the white walkers was going to cost them at least one dragon.  Hazarding a guess that the upcoming battle with the white walkers and dragolich is going to cost them another. 

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

As soon as he had it, I went "I think a dragon is gonna die" I'm just a pathetically depressed voice.

Well, they set it up with the "dead bear". However, I didn't fucking know it was going to happen in the very same episode. Maybe the next week during the finale, but not tonight. As soon as Dany rode in, that was doom.

I don't know, the story seems to be moving towards a much more conventional fantasy story.

At the very least, I think it'll be pretty late into next year before either of them die. I don't think we'll see another dragon knocked off before the massive final battle, whatever that might end up being. If at all.

1 minute ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Actually popped for the Benjen run-in.

Me too.

And we haven't even talked about Littlefinger reasserting himself and driving the wedge between the Stark ladies. That bit about Ned applauding Arya legit brought a couple tears to my eyes... Then her psychosis drove them away.

Speaking of which, that reminds me.

Bran is an Asshole.

Not just for not clearing shit up for Sansa and Arya, but also for not keeping an eye on Jon and getting the raven off himself, much earlier (and thus much more plausibly In Time for Dany to then arrive In Time).  Instead he lets it all hinge on Gendry running.

This season is hanging on great moments (ZOMBIE DRAGON! TRAIN ATTACK!) and fan service (Stark reunions!) and the goodwill land character investment from early seasons to overcome the absolutely nonsensical timeline issues. Either they've mastered teleporting, or this season has just skipped over like a year and a half of travel.

1 minute ago, Rev Ray said:

So....  have the followers of the Lord of Light always been able to form Blazing Swords Voltron style?

Yes. It's explained in the books, but it's a trick, not magic.

1 minute ago, Rev Ray said:

So....  have the followers of the Lord of Light always been able to form Blazing Swords Voltron style?

Not all of them, but it is Thoros' signature move (he did it at the Battle of Pyke he and Jorah were talking about) and I guess he taught it to Beric.