DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Jon basically formed a fantasy RPG raid party.  You have a tank, Hound.  You have a healer, Thoros.  And the rest are damage dealers.

No ranged DPS, though.

Should've dragged Theon along, he's still got enough fingers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think Jorah and Gendry are goners. And if Thoros dies, Beric dies too. So two at the least, 4 at the most. I just don't see Tormund, the Hound, and especially Jon Snow dying.

Thoros pretty much has to die to raise the stakes (no more resurrections, death is back to being permanent for everyone).

Jorah was finally welcomed and embraced and even sorta loved by Dany, so he's in Two Days Away From Retirement territory too.

Beric's probably tired of coming back and/or seems to have fulfilled his mission.

Gendry would be an amazing swerve to bring him back with all this hype and buildup and then just bury him.

Tormund is the on-camera representation of the free folk so I think he stays.

Jon and Sandor I'm pretty sure are "safe"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Thoros pretty much has to die to raise the stakes (no more resurrections, death is back to being permanent for everyone).

Melessandre is still around, even if Jon, Davos, Gendry, and Arya have her on their "kill on site"  lists.

Bronn is just a reluctant hero.  He was still there to facilitate a meeting between Tyrion and Jaime.  He stood and stared down the eyes of a fire breathing dragon, and he didn't blink.  He fired a bolt at it and he lived to walk away from it.

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

Arya didn't like Sansa for childish reasons when they were children. She's snooty or whatever. Kids are like that. Meanwhile they are now in charge of a kingdom.  Sansa has grown up and is trying to hold together a world-saving alliance with an absent King. Meanwhile Arya still sees things like a child "I don't like her. I wish she was dead. Oh, I'll kill her!" It's absurdly stunted thinking from a mental defective sociopath.

I don't know though what anyone would do differently so far in Sansa's place. Jon left this shaky alliance in her hands that was constantly on the verge of crumbling but also that the fate of humanity relied on and was like "Hold this together. I'll be back in a few weeks/months...oh, wait, I'm going north of the wall now and probably not telling you. See you in a year or probably never again. Good luck!!!"

The alliance people didn't want him to leave in the first place so he already left this notoriously difficult to control group who were recently on opposite ends of a brutal war already  grumbling on their part.

They eventually try to coopt her to betray him, probably mostly under the whispered encouragement of littlefinger. She says no but for Arya she didn't say no fast enough I guess and oh, she took the best bedroom so instead of backing her up in the face of a whisper conspiracy to corner her, why not just make things 100 times worse!

Arya brilliant advise delivered as if it was a religious dogman was  to immediately murder anyone who says anything mean about Jon, which Jon had just two episodes ago made clear is the opposite of what he wants. But this is immediate evidence to Arya that she is basically Cersei of the North. I wonder if Arya had seen Jon spare those two kids and pardon their houses if she would be like "You just want people to love you, you're clearly evil!"

Sansa is a neophyte politician tasked with doing the near impossible while surrounded by primitive lunatics and at least one active genius manipulator who wants to corner her into betraying her brother.

Arya is Billy Mumy in The Twilight Zone throwing murder tantrums over who's the prettiest.

One of these is problematic. The other is a fucking catastrophe.

I vote to replace Arya with Lyanna Mormont. Or with a trained bear.

Arya and Sansa's original dislike of each other when they were young was childish. Currently its a hell of lot different. She sees Sansa as either weak and/or manipulative with her being either uninterested or incapable of keeping Jon's reign intact. Sansa isn't remotely doing her best on that front. She hasn't hidden her disagreements with Jon at all and half-heartedly defends Jon when he is criticized. She is undermining his leadership this way, legitimate reasons or not. Not saying Arya isn't a liability, but her reasoning isn't quite as simple or childish as you want it to be. And letting things stand as they are with Sansa's current leadership is nearly as dangerous since it will lead the North to be even less prepared for the war with the Night King.

58 minutes ago, A_K said:

Obviously an enormous amount of spoilers out there for the next episode (practically start to finish for those who look), so be weary of too cleverly constituted theories ..

Do the spoilers confirm my prediction that Jon and Beric will swerve us all by siding with their fellow undead?

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

That was great. Bronn being all "There's dragons now! I'm fookin' out of here!" I don't know if Bronn is a hero, but I would watch the shit out of a Bronn centric spinoff show.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Bronn is just a reluctant hero.  He was still there to facilitate a meeting between Tyrion and Jaime.  He stood and stared down the eyes of a fire breathing dragon, and he didn't blink.  He fired a bolt at it and he lived to walk away from it.

Bronn's logic I love and totally understand. However, I'm a little confused with Randyll Tarly. Did he believe Dany was going to just take him as a POW or did he want to tell Dany himself to fuck off before getting executed? Dying in the midst of an unwinnable battle seems the preferable way to go out than getting roasted in front of all your men.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

However, I'm a little confused with Randyll Tarly. Did he believe Dany was going to just take him as a POW or did he want to tell Dany himself to fuck off before getting executed? Dying in the midst of an unwinnable battle seems the preferable way to go out than getting roasted in front of all your men.

I fell like Tyrion missed the right way to stop him from this. Imagine if he had said something like

"No worries. I suppose if both you and Dickon {chuckle} die your house can live on if we relieve your other son of his obligations to the Night's Watch. It can be done. Don't worry, fine sir. I'm sure your other son, Sam, I believe is his name? I'm sure he will make a fine ruler and will produce strong seed for the Tarly lineage to continue on. In fact I will personally see to it that the name Tarly will from now and forward be carried proudly and exclusively by Samwell Tarly."

"Um...I'd like to take back all that stuff what I just said."

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I forget if Tyrion met Sam or not, but how would he even know if Sam could carry on the name?  Does Tyrion really even know Samwell Tarly is training to become a maester or where ever he is?

Tyrion and Sam were at the Wall together, right? 

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Also, Game of Thrones does have a true hero.  His name is Bronn, and Jerome Flynn is one of the best living actors on this planet.

I think Dinklage won himself another Emmy with this one actually.

I think Jon has to really die at some point.  My guess is when he and whoever brings the White Walker to King's Landing, Cersei will kill them all because Jon believes only in the White Walker threat and has continually ignored the threat from Cersei. His blindness to her will be his undoing.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Tyrion and Sam were at the Wall together, right? 

That's the only time I would recall Tyrion have known who Sam is, but that means he knew Sam as someone who took the black and was part of the Night's Watch, meaning he couldn't make some smug monologue about Samwell carrying on the great Tarly name.