DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

At least Oberyn died with a strange man on top of him. Probably the way he wanted to go out. Got his head squashed like a grape and his teeth rolled on the ground like marbles, but you gotta look at the bright side.

My wife's reaction was great.  She was way into Oberyn and convinced he was going to win.  She was actually kind of gloating, and then when the leg was swept and he hit the ground she went full Rainman-in-an-airport and put her hands over her ears and went

"wait...no no no no no NO NO NUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNOOOOOOOO"

• Like 1

Thing is, this was episode 8.  Traditionally, the big event/shock is scheduled for episode 9 (with one episode for the asshole producers to take a victory lap around us all).

So, if we hold to tradition then that was just a prelude to something bigger.

- The preview was heavily weighted toward Jon Snow and the wall.  Killing Jon Snow a year to the day after killing Robb Stark would probably be too abusive of the female fans, no?  If the big thing is going to be that battle, then it will be hard to live up to season two.  The only real draw would be giants.  Otherwise it's just another "guys swing swords and we hear gross gushing sounds" scene.  Unless someone big dies.

- Obviously Tyrion's perp walk will happen and then...well crap who knows.  Either Jaime comes through here somehow or he's kind of ruined too.  Like, you don't really blame Sansa or whoever for not stopping Ned's execution.  But I would blame Jaime for Tyrion's.  Just standing there and watching..all dressed up with his stupid gold hand.  I'm already angry.

- Maybe an Arya/Sansa reunion?  The Hound's death FROM A FUCKING INFECTIONFUCKYOUSHOWOHHOWIHATEYOU.

Anything else would come out of nowhere.  No one else is set up for a big moment, right?  Stannis is...floating around somewhere.  Maergery and Cersei are just sort of staring at people.  Maybe some partnership?  Varys and ????

- Maybe an Arya/Sansa reunion?  The Hound's death FROM A FUCKING INFECTIONFUCKYOUSHOWOHHOWIHATEYOU.

This is all going to lead to Arya hating Sansa like in season one. They are the polar opposites of each other. Last night showed that Sansa was trying to break bad. Littlefinger's magic is really starting to finally take hold. Out of all the Stark kids, Sansa is the most easy to manipulate and Arya is hardest to manipulate. That happy reunion is going to brief as hell, much like Cersei and Jaime. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" really doesn't apply to Game of Thrones, does it?

Plus, another one of the Stark kids has to go. One of these four(?) storylines has to be resolved in grisly fashion.

I ended up not going to bed for quite awhile after watching last night's ep. Couldn't get the knots out of my stomach, couldn't get that scene out of my head. Also, bloody hell, Oberyn, you didn't bring your daughters, you could've left Elia behind too. She didn't need that to be the final image of you.

Has any important/strong character gotten a worse death..like both in terms of gore and the being broken down to the level of a screaming terrified animal in their final moments?

I know Cat's was gross and she was unhinged, but this was worse I think...plus she wasn't strong in the same way.  I think that's what got to me the most.  Seeing a character that had both strength and some kind of ideals being reduced to quivering shrieking sludge.  Just another beetle.

I don't want to leave the house.

Oberyn and Catelyn weren't strong in the same way, but they made their bed the same way. The Lannister revenge factor did them both in. Cat was so smart, but she wasn't smart enough to figure out Walder Frey couldn't be trusted. Especially after her son betrayed him. That should've been the red flag there. Then you roll up into their place and act like shit is cool. That's a recipe for disaster. And if you've been paying attention, the Lannisters have a good record on the road and an even better record at home (see: Baratheon, Stannis). So what if Oberyn beat the Mountain? Tyrion goes free, but Oberyn doesn't survive another day in King's Landing. Not on Cersei's watch. The Martells still lose in the end. 

Oberyn and Catelyn weren't strong in the same way, but they made their bed the same way. The Lannister revenge factor did them both in. Cat was so smart, but she wasn't smart enough to figure out Walder Frey couldn't be trusted. Especially after her son betrayed him. That should've been the red flag there. Then you roll up into their place and act like shit is cool. That's a recipe for disaster. And if you've been paying attention, the Lannisters have a good record on the road and an even better record at home (see: Baratheon, Stannis). So what if Oberyn beat the Mountain? Tyrion goes free, but Oberyn doesn't survive another day in King's Landing. Not on Cersei's watch. The Martells still lose in the end. 

I don't think she expected that Walder would go so far as to break the Guest Right thing. Though I still put it all on Robb ... I believe in the books, even fucking Roose Bolton warns him against going. 

Also ... I'd really like to know who Cersei could've sent after Oberyn had he lived. There's basically not anyone bigger, badder or deadlier than the Mountain in Westeros, and I don't see anyone willing to take their chances against the man that killed him. 

On the subject of Roose and Ramsay ... I know Roose really doesn't show his hand emotionally, but I was kind of amazed that he was never really afraid of Ramsay. Ramsay killed his son ... but now I wonder if it's because Roose understands Ramsay's pathology. Ramsay wants, more than anything, Roose's acceptance and approval.

• Like 1

Except the Lannisters didn't really win and in fact this pretty much played out in the worst possible way for Tywin:

Jaime's still in the kingsguard

Tyrion's still condemned to die

[thus, no way to carry on the family name]

his Pet Terrorist Gregor Clegane is broken and bleeding out even in "victory"

Oberyn's death puts an end to all his work to bring Dorne back under the tent as an ally (particularly since, oddly enough, Oberyn got Gregor to confess and thus technically Mission Accomplished)

Which means he's still stuck depending on only the Tyrells as allies, which means their bargaining position gets stronger (and as we know they're really out for themselves anyway, they did actually kill Joffrey)

And there's three potential foreign invasions he has to worry about, one of which just got a shot in the arm care of The Iron Bank because Tywin couldn't/didn't pay them back on time... and that's just the three he knows about... there's also that fourth one :)

The Martells still hold Princess Myrcella

The gold mines are still dried up.

The trial by combat fucked up the Lannisters as much as The Martells:  Cersei's the only one dumb (and sadistic) enough to not realize it.  If Oberyn kills Gregor clean then yeah Tywin loses his hatchetman but at least maybe he can spin that as appeasement and asskiss The Martells into helping him out (and Tyrion goes into exile instead of dying).  Tywin's plans are fucked to hell.  That's a big part of why Tyrion called for this trial by battle in the first place; it was a no-win for Tywin.

• Like 5

I don't think she expected that Walder would go so far as to break the Guest Right thing. Though I still put it all on Robb ... I believe in the books, even fucking Roose Bolton warns him against going. 

Also ... I'd really like to know who Cersei could've sent after Oberyn had he lived. There's basically not anyone bigger, badder or deadlier than the Mountain in Westeros, and I don't see anyone willing to take their chances against the man that killed him. 

Keep in mind Oberyn spent a good portion of his chest deep in strange poontang and penis. At same point, that was going to turn sour (Lannister jobber B-team aside). Plus, who said it needed to be by sword? One drink and bye bye sweet Prince of Dorne.

As far Cat goes, she fucked up plain and simple. Her AND Robb fucked up big time. When Robb basically took his mother captive, she may have as well told him to kill her because they were already dead. He believed in that King of the North bullshit too much. Once the honeymoon period ended with his leadership, it was clear that he no longer offered anything to anyone than taking someone's hand in marriage. Then, he screwed that up. Thus, he became disposable at that moment. How far was he going to get before most (if not all) of his men turned against him? It was inevitable. There were much safer bets out there.

Except the Lannisters didn't really win and in fact this pretty much played out in the worst possible way for Tywin:

Jaime's still in the kingsguard

Tyrion's still condemned to die

As opposed to beginning when Jaime was in the kingsguard and Tyrion was the half-man to ridicule?

It's not like Tywin could've have pre-planned this, even though Jaime's offer was tempting. If that was the be all, end all offer, Tywin would've made sure that it didn't come down to Oberyn vs. The FUCKING Mountain. He already made sure to get the right people to testify. Once Tyrion went nutty, Tywin might have figured that the deal might come back up on the table minus his half man son. 

even fucking Roose Bolton warns him against going. 

This should be his title forever:

fucking Roose Botlon.

"It seems like The Mountain has come down with a mysterious illness. Therefore, taking his place will be my future son-in-law...LORAS OF HOUSE TYRELL! Loras, you want to get over here?"

Loras_Tyrell_The_Climb.jpg

Thing is, this was episode 8.  Traditionally, the big event/shock is scheduled for episode 9 (with one episode for the asshole producers to take a victory lap around us all).

So, if we hold to tradition then that was just a prelude to something bigger.

- The preview was heavily weighted toward Jon Snow and the wall.  Killing Jon Snow a year to the day after killing Robb Stark would probably be too abusive of the female fans, no?  If the big thing is going to be that battle, then it will be hard to live up to season two.  The only real draw would be giants.

Or white walkers.

- Obviously Tyrion's perp walk will happen and then...well crap who knows.  Either Jaime comes through here somehow or he's kind of ruined too.  Like, you don't really blame Sansa or whoever for not stopping Ned's execution.  But I would blame Jaime for Tyrion's.  Just standing there and watching..all dressed up with his stupid gold hand.  I'm already angry.

- Maybe an Arya/Sansa reunion? 

Anything else would come out of nowhere.  No one else is set up for a big moment, right?  Stannis is...floating around somewhere.

Arya/Sanssa reunion is something, but not that big a deal.

My knowledge of Westeros geography is minimal, so maybe this is impossible. But seems to me that Tyrion's death sentence might be thrown into disarray by an unexpected Stannis attack.

I think we're all assuming that Tyrion lives (though maybe that's the big plot hammer about to drop?), so the only ways I can see that happening are:

*Tywin somehow frees him to carry on the Lannister name. Don't see that happening, since he just publicly sentenced Tyrion to death.

*Sneaky rescue from Jamie. Or maybe from a returning Bronn (unlikely) or somebody else... but who? Pod's going the opposite direction. Varys wouldn't risk anything for Tyrion. Maybe there's some super-double-three-dimensional-chess going on and the Tyrells would want to save him? Even though they're happy to have a fall guy? Jamie is pretty much the only contender here.

*Jamie (or somebody else) kidnaps Cersei (or somebody else) and demands a prisoner exchange. Hard to imagine the Jamie/Cersei thing working, since Tywin knows Jamie wouldn't hurt her, so I'm not feeling this. I guess Jamie could threaten to reveal Tonmen's true parentage...

*Huge other event (attack or... uhh... hurricane?) which causes enough chaos to allow Tyrion to escape.

So I'm gonna say Stannis attacks and, in the fog of war, Jamie gets Tyrion out. (this prediction brought to you by the guy who said the Trial by Combat would be Jamie vs Bronn).

Oh! Here's a darkhorse candidate: The Stannis crew hears about the trial, so Melissandre whips up a demonqueef to go snatch Tyrion, figuring that would embarrass Tywin (making him look weak to his populace and soldiers) and assuming Tyrion has inside scoops (plus a desire for revenge) that they can use to aid their eventual attack on King's Landing. And from a plot perspective, adding Tyrion to that crew would make them interesting for once.

EPISODE 8: WHAT WAS IT ALL ABOUT

So this episode started off with some jabroni business because it said, "Jae, we know you can't wait to see Obe kill the Mountain, but we gotta make you work for it baby."

Clownshoe Theon continues his existence of fucking everyone who should trust him. The downside is most of these people have been decent human beings. The upside is that his Dominant now trusts the shit out of him - so it's only a matter of time before he gets his. I was thinking "Man, who the fuck wants to be friends with the Bolton's they got this crazy fucking flag of a guy getting tortured?" By the end of the episode I realized it's because those people are the ones you can count on.

Goddamn Jorah, just one week after rolling in swagger, got fucking obliterated. YOU KNOW he had that scene going through his head all day. "We get to talk alone, I tell her I'm on her side, and if it comes down to it, I profess my undying love for her since day one, we get married and have babies." And you could see it in his face, when he actually dropped that PATHETIC "I loved you line." It felt like it had been rehearsed so much but this time it was said with the knowledge that it's not going to change her mind. Their love is so fucking highschool it hurts. He needs to go to a whore house and get laid. I would say he was Jabroni of the Week, but we all know that's not the case.

The Hound is about to get jobbed out to a fucking hickey. 

pPSOiQc.gif

Oh shit and SANSA JUST HAD LEVELED UP LIKE A MOTHER FUCKER. Littlefingers' boner when she was laying that story down for the old white people was epic. it was so ridiculous how he couldn't contain his shit, during that speech. Sansa finally has value, and it's fantastic.

Remember how we were like Daniel Bryan better fucking go over man? And it happened and we never had to experience the pain of watching him fail on the biggest stage of them all - reaffirming our complete inability to influence the gods.... This was a glimpse into that horribleness.

When Ned Stark died, I was bummed... but it had to happen. It felt like it just had to go that way for the show to really move into conflict. When the Red Wedding happened I laughed and laughed because it was so absurd, and I didn't give shits about the characters. 

But this. This was painful. 

My wife gives me shit because some of the movies I like are pretty depressing. Like Million Dollar Baby. It's a pretty sad, granted. She begged me to watch Game of Thrones, because she read the books and she was just so excited. I probably wouldn't watch this show if it weren't for her. 

Today was a seismic shift in our marriage. A day where I said, "NEVER AGAIN, do you get to complain about my movies". I don't have anything that's as nihilistic as this show - a serialized version of A Serbian Film. I asked her why she even likes it and she responded "Because I want vengeance." IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. AND WHEN IF IT DOES IT'S GOING TO SUCK. BECAUSE IT'S JUST GOING TO BE FUCKING THEON TRIPPING OVER HIMSELF UNTIL HE'S THE LAST MAN STANDING.

I can deal with Hilary Swank breaking her neck and trying to eat her own tongue in order to kill herself. I can't deal with Obe screaming before his head explodes. Not just because he died, but because he's realizing that he's dying just like his sister did(sans rape). 

It hurts. Obe was going to bring us change. He spoke for the people. The little guys. He said he'd bring us ice cream bars and instead he's at the Hawks game watching them lose in overtime to the fucking LA KINGS.

This fucking show. 

• Like 9

As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I must say that Tyrion's luck is like a bullshit broken Tony Romo play. He is supposed to get sacked for a fifteen yard loss, but it somehow turns into a three yard gain. His luck is gonna run out sooner than later. 

The "this is how Tyrion lives" scenarios are bordering on inane CNN election night coverage levels. It's not looking good for him any way you slice it.

With that said, my stupid scenario is one of the Tyrells gives away their part in Joffrey's death. I say that only because it's almost feasible, and I want to see Cersei apologize to Tyrion.

jae, you forget that Mountain's brother once said he would rape any corpse that had a clean sword. I think necrophilia may run in the family. Just saying.

There is literally no one in that world other than Jaime, on any side of any battle, that doesn't want Tyrion dead.  It's astounding.  Even Tywin's enemies would be happy enough to see him dead.

With the possible exception of the most mysterious force in the entire show:

Varys.  Got to be Varys.  No way he goes an entire season without doing anything while his chief rival runs the table.