DVDVR Message Board

UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes (7/9/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

Anything more nuanced than that and you've lost the likes of me.  Remember, I operate at a level where American Ninja 5 got too technical and lost the magic of the first four.

There was an American Ninja 5?

Any of the same cast as the first one?

11 hours ago, OSJ said:

Hardly weird or inexplicable, he's not a very likable fella.

vince-mcmahon4.jpg

Did you just use a pronoun? We can't have any pronouns in the WWE! Who is 'he'? Can I sell merchandise with 'he' on it? No I can't! Say his name! SAY IT! SAY IT!

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

I  had Edgar winning. 4 to 1, 3 to 2 at worst. I don't see how you give Aldo 4 of those rounds. 

I agree. Watching Aldo was like watching an old Chris Eubank match, he'd only fight 60 seconds out of every round and spend the rest of the time strolling around and sort of feinting a bit.

So the gold mat and the gold lettering on the gloves was just for this historic show, right? Not from now on, or anything?

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

So the gold mat and the gold lettering on the gloves was just for this historic show, right? Not from now on, or anything?

Yes, just for UFC 200. 

The biggest thing that was stuck in my mind after watching this was, "Damn, I almost forgot Jose Aldo was so fucking good."  I thought he was going to smash Connor McGregor when they fought.  If and when they fight again, I'm still pretty sure Aldo smashes him.  Jose Aldo may have the best MMA skill set ever.  He has knockout power in both hands, and both feet.  He is also the best defensive fighter of all-time.  His head movement, footwork, and takedown defense are better than anyone else who has ever fought MMA.  Frankie Edgar, who is legitimately an all-time great himself, could barely touch him, and Aldo shrugged off his takedowns like he was wrestling his little brother.  Aldo suffered a flash knockout, and I completely forgot that he may very well be the most dominant fighter I've ever seen.  He's also 29, so he's probably going to be really good for another 4 or 5 years.

The thing about looking at this result and expecting Jose to look as good against McGregor is how fucking big McGregor is for the 145 division. Conor has 3" in height and 6" of reach on Edgar. Even with Edgar's fantastic speed and footwork, it is way harder for him to touch Aldo than it would be for McGregor. I'd really like to see that rematch, far more than the Diaz rematch. No idea how it would go down.

24 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The thing about looking at this result and expecting Jose to look as good against McGregor is how fucking big McGregor is for the 145 division. Conor has 3" in height and 6" of reach on Edgar. Even with Edgar's fantastic speed and footwork, it is way harder for him to touch Aldo than it would be for McGregor. I'd really like to see that rematch, far more than the Diaz rematch. No idea how it would go down.

Conor was already selling the Aldo rematch. Not sure if he stood up for the whole fight, but the pictures are hysterical.

qRU8Uys.jpg

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Exactly. Lesnar was circling to his left (Hunt's right) meaning Lesnar could have ran into a giant right hand when he was doing that. Except...Hunt was almost on the other side of the octagon. Not like Rin Nakai's air strikes vs. Miesha Tate level hilarious, but pretty damn close considering Mark Hunt has short arms and short, stubby legs for the division. When he did get closer, Brock was doing this semi-shoulder roll thing where he was using his shoulder to block any punches. Instead of running at him at in a straight line (which is usually a huge no-no, but Hunt's chin is insane and Brock never dealt with that very well), Hunt just kinda stood in front of him, pumping this weak jab, and circling with him. Either he thought Brock was just going ran at him like a madman throwing punches himself and get himself clipped or Hunt's team spent all of three minutes coming up with a strategy.

I think Hunt and his team made a few mistakes.

1.  They did not expect Brock to come up with an actual strategy.  There are so many subs to this one.  Lack of takedown defense.  How to get inside of Brock's reach.  Etc.

2.  Six weeks after being out for five years?  How good of shape could Brock be in?

3.  I doubt Hunt realized how huge Brock is until they met.  He is huge and agile.  

watched this card today after being out of town all weekend. thoughts:

Gomi, it is time to ride off into the sunset. you were a Pride legend but that was 10 years ago.

it is time for Mousasi to be in title talks. give him a top 5 guy!

Joe Lauzon vs Diego Sanchez. i expected a long fight. loved J-Lau's line about sacrificing his face to get a win. turns out, he didn't have to, as Diego just crumbled.

Sage Northcutt showed off plenty of holes in his game but was able to overcome and get a win. it is beyond time for him to join a real MMA gym and develop into the fighter he has the potential to be.

Dillashaw looked great and earned another crack at Cruz's BW title belt.

Gastelum looked as good as i've ever seen him. Johny looked......not very good. he needs a change. i don't think he'd do so hot at MW, so i don't know what, but this WW stint has seen better days.

awesome fight between Cat and Pena. i really thought Cat would smash her, but that surely didn't happen. i wonder if the Rousey loss is still effecting her? she's on the older side for fighters, so she's running out of time to put a string together.

Cain gonna Cain. he's just a bear that mauls any and everybody.

i had Aldo winning over Edgar 48-47, but there wasn't a whole lot of things going on there. Edgar pressed the action the entire time, so i wouldn't discourage anyone who scored it that way. I actually wondered out loud if Joe Rogan was watching the same fight, since he was sure Aldo had it in the bag. Aldo has always been a favorite of mine, but man do i wish he was as dynamic as he used to be. since joining the UFC, he's only finished 2 of 8 fights. compare that to his WEC run, where only one fight in 7 went the distance.

DC suffocating Anderson Silva for 15 minutes was terrible, but all of the enjoyment i got out of it was the fans booing DC for everything. He always looks so perplexed that he gets booed that it makes me laugh. when he finally embraces his inner heel, that will be a great time to watch.

Lesnar pulling out a win over Hunt made my night. he was able to use his reach, avoid the big punches, and get the much-needed takedowns. i was engrossed the entire time, even tho Lesnar's striking is garbage. What a spectacle.

Miesha Tate losing her title to Amanda Nunes was disappointing. Tate is my favorite female fighter. i didn't watch the weigh-ins, so didn't know anything about her issues. i remarked during the walk out that she looked pretty shook up. The first couple punches Tate threw were slow and atrocious. once Nunes landed the first two shots i knew it was only a matter of time.

overall a fun if slow-paced card. Especially since it looked just killer on paper. such is life.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

i had Aldo winning over Edgar 48-47, but there wasn't a whole lot of things going on there. Edgar pressed the action the entire time, so i wouldn't discourage anyone who scored it that way. I actually wondered out loud if Joe Rogan was watching the same fight, since he was sure Aldo had it in the bag. Aldo has always been a favorite of mine, but man do i wish he was as dynamic as he used to be. since joining the UFC, he's only finished 2 of 8 fights. compare that to his WEC run, where only one fight in 7 went the distance.

I have no idea how anyone gave Edgar more than one round in that fight.  Edgar was busier, but was less effective at everything than Jose Aldo.  If you hit a guy three times with punches that have little to no effect, you shouldn't get as much credit when your opponent absolutely blasts you with a counter punch that hurts you down into your soul.  Jose Aldo battered one of the best fighters in the world like he was an amateur.  I don't think that Aldo is necessarily less dynamic than he was before, but he's fighting better fighters than he was before.  Everything he hit Edgar with was absolutely vicious, and Edgar's durability is the only thing that kept him in that fight.  It was pretty clear that nothing Edgar did even bothered Aldo, he didn't bother checking his kicks and spent a good amount of time with his hands down.  Frankie ate a bunch of good, clean, hard, punches directly to the face.  They bloodied Edgar up, made him shoot for ill-advised takedowns, and he couldn't stop it from happening repeatedly.  Edgar was clearly pushing the action, but he was doing it by pushing his face directly into Aldo's punches.  

You say that Edgar got hit with counter punches that "hurt him down to his soul," but that wasn't even the case. The visual of Edgar's bloody face was there, but any time he got cracked, which was maybe 3 to 4 times total, he wasn't hurt, he kept up his footwork, and he kept coming at Aldo.

It was mentioned earlier, but for all except 2 rounds at the most, Aldo was fighting for about 60 seconds per round, if that. Edgar constantly chased Aldo and landed combinations. I'm disappointed that Edgar abandoned the leg kicks in rounds 2, 4, and 5 because I think he had success with them in rounds 1 and 3. We all had the fight for Edgar. Most of us tuned out Joe Rogan's commentary during the fight too until we started paying attention to it late in 4th round, where he made it sound like Frankie hadn't even won a fight. After the decision was announced, the only conclusion I could make was that the judges valued the takedowns Aldo stuffed and the little bit of counterpunching from Aldo more than how active Frankie was and how few significant strikes Frankie landed.

BTW, one thing that was so funny during the entire FS1/2 broadcast and PPV broadcast was the crazy overpromotion of UFC 202. You would think they were just skipping 201 until finally, around the Lesnar/Hunt fight, they mentioned UFC 201 and put a small ribbon up for it at the bottom of the screen.

2 minutes ago, twiztor said:

forgot to mention. i hated the yellow ring apron. i know it was a special occasion for ufc 200, but i really hope we don't see it again

It was actually gold, especially you compare it to the yellow Brazilian shorts on the show.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It was actually gold, especially you compare it to the yellow Brazilian shorts on the show.

yeah, i saw that earlier post. it was yellow on my tv, so it was a yellow mat. if it was gold in person, that's fine, but it sure didn't translate to me that way.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BTW, one thing that was so funny during the entire FS1/2 broadcast and PPV broadcast was the crazy overpromotion of UFC 202. You would think they were just skipping 201 until finally, around the Lesnar/Hunt fight, they mentioned UFC 201 and put a small ribbon up for it at the bottom of the screen.

Well, that's the show they're putting all their muscle behind. That's actually the smart move. No matter what they do Lawler/Woodley is only going to sell so much given the personalities involved. So if they get 350-425k on PPV, that's great. But if they don't, it's no biggie given that 202 will be a big number.

Just now, twiztor said:

yeah, i saw that earlier post. it was yellow on my tv, so it was a yellow mat. if it was gold in person, that's fine, but it sure didn't translate to me that way.

Given what I saw on Twitter, that's what many people said. I don't think they thought about the different contrast ratios people have on their televisions. Looking at the photo from Twitter, it's not possible for it to have been anything other than gold. However, no way was it going to look like that on whatever device people were watching.

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You say that Edgar got hit with counter punches that "hurt him down to his soul," but that wasn't even the case. The visual of Edgar's bloody face was there, but any time he got cracked, which was maybe 3 to 4 times total, he wasn't hurt, he kept up his footwork, and he kept coming at Aldo.

It was mentioned earlier, but for all except 2 rounds at the most, Aldo was fighting for about 60 seconds per round, if that. Edgar constantly chased Aldo and landed combinations. I'm disappointed that Edgar abandoned the leg kicks in rounds 2, 4, and 5 because I think he had success with them in rounds 1 and 3. We all had the fight for Edgar. Most of us tuned out Joe Rogan's commentary during the fight too until we started paying attention to it late in 4th round, where he made it sound like Frankie hadn't even won a fight. After the decision was announced, the only conclusion I could make was that the judges valued the takedowns Aldo stuffed and the little bit of counterpunching from Aldo more than how active Frankie was and how few significant strikes Frankie landed.

We watched two different fights.  All of Aldo's punches looked and sounded like they were going through Frankie's skull.  The difference in power between Aldo and Edgar was pretty much the story of the fight.  Aldo threw few punches, landed them hard and clean, and either evaded or was unconcerned by Edgar's offense.  Frankie's threw a shit load of punches, pushed the pace of the fight, landed very few and was visually stunned multiple times.  I don't remember a single strike from Edgar making me think that it even bothered Aldo.  Aldo's entire strategy was to be just within range so Edgar would keep throwing, but punishing him after he evaded all damage.  I honestly think that was Aldo's best performance of his career.  I've heard a bunch of people say they thought Edgar was winning, but I don't understand what they were watching.  Edgar looked so frustrated that no matter what he tried, Aldo was able to smash him in the face.  He knew he lost even if people watching were somehow fooled by his constant throwing of ineffective punches.  

After Frankie's last handful of performances, it was so weird watching Edgar just be completely disarmed for virtually four rounds. After the first round, I was thinking....maybe Aldo's shot and Frankie is going to switch gears and just absolutely cream him. Turns out that first round was Edgar's only chance because Aldo dictated the pace in every way you possibly can. Man, that one takedown escape from like either round 2 or round 3....boy, I don't think I ever seen anything like that before. It took me two minutes to actually process what the fuck happened. That was scary. Brilliant but scary that a human being can avoid being taken down like that. 

I feel bad for Frankie because he basically ran into the guy who is virtually the worst style matchup for him and lost out on a giant money fight that could put him on new level. 

What I find crazy is that a dude like Edson Barboza should've help prep Edgar for that type of fight. However, when you watch how this second fight played out, how the hell do you actually fight someone with that type of leg dexterity, handspeed, and movement for 25 minutes? You have to catch him cold, right on the button like McGregor did. There ain't that many options.

Are you talking about how how Aldo stopped the takedown by basically pushing Frankie into the cage with one hand? I thought that one was nuts because of how strong Aldo looked. It was like pushing off a child.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Are you talking about how how Aldo stopped the takedown by basically pushing Frankie into the cage with one hand? I thought that one was nuts because of how strong Aldo looked. It was like pushing off a child.

A lot of them were crazy. I think the one I'm talking about was closer to the end of the round. So that may have been it.

I thought the crazy one where he basically threw him across the cage after Edgar shot deep in on his hips.  It was like everything Edgar did was perfect right until the point where he actually had to execute the takedown.  Aldo didn't use any actual defensive technique, he just threw him off like he was wrestling on a bed with a kid.